Forums

5/6/2016 - Escape for the Victory

Sort:
MarcoBR444

You play white. 

You are down a piece.

What do you do now?

If you want to see the origin game, see post #1663 in the link below:

https://www.chess.com/forum/view/game-analysis/the-most-interesting-game-of-chess-was-played-here-in-chesscom?page=84

DoctorStrange

Nice puzzle!

First!!

MarcoBR444
Harish73 wrote:

Nice puzzle!

First!!

Good, dear Prince of Patzers!!

DoctorStrange
MarcoBR444 wrote:
Harish73 wrote:

Nice puzzle!

First!!

Good, dear Prince of Patzers!!

Thanks 

n9531l

There is more than one way to solve this puzzle. The statement "You are in a lost position" is incorrect. Therefore it is reasonable to assume the statements "You play white" and "White to Move" are also incorrect. Then the answer to "What do you do now?" is to mate in one with Qxf1#.

The wording of a puzzle can be important, to avoid unintended solutions. You could have excluded that rather silly solution by saying "You are in a seemingly lost position."

Robert_New_Alekhine

FIRST PAGE!

JamesAgadir

first page

seanysean2

First Page!!!!

MarcoBR444
n9531l wrote:

There is more than one way to solve this puzzle. The statement "You are in a lost position" is incorrect. Therefore it is reasonable to assume the statements "You play white" and "White to Move" are also incorrect. Then the answer to "What do you do now?" is to mate in one with Qxf1#.

The wording of a puzzle can be important, to avoid unintended solutions. You could have excluded that rather silly solution by saying "You are in a seemingly lost position."

Ok, but, according to computer analysis, the BEST way to finish that game, for white, is the way I set in the puzzle.

See the original game with the computer analysis for move 29 until end:

Post #1663 in the link below:

https://www.chess.com/forum/view/game-analysis/the-most-interesting-game-of-chess-was-played-here-in-chesscom?page=84

MarcoBR444
Robert_New_Alekhine wrote:

FIRST PAGE!

So good to see the old and funny "first page" quotes in puzzle's threads!!

That is a pity chess.com blocked this in its official daily puzzle.

n9531l
MarcoBR444 wrote:
Ok, but, according to computer analysis, the BEST way to finish that game, for white, is the way I set in the puzzle.

No argument with that. I was just pointing out the problem with your introductory statement that White has a lost position.

HahXianMing

Very, very nice puzzle! FP

MarcoBR444
n9531l wrote:
MarcoBR444 wrote:

No argument with that. I was just pointing out the problem with your introductory statement that White has a lost position.

Ok, you got a point. I edited the text of # 1.

rachel011235

Great puzzle

deathstroke2611

first page

DoctorStrange

You can post in the DP again

HumongusChungus1234
n9531l wrote:

I like the way you think. Although english isn't is first language I think (he's brazilian) so give him a chance!

n9531l
Kakamou12 wrote:
Although english isn't is first language I think (he's brazilian) so give him a chance!

My purpose was to offer him a chance, and he accepted. He has edited the puzzle introduction and eliminated my objection.