Forums

A great start (I think) but an awfull end

Sort:
tacticop
Hi! I played this game as black today and I think it could represent well where are my weaknesses. Can you analyse it with me to let me understand them because I'm kind of confused. I want to know exactly what was the Bad turning point and what are my greatest weaknesses as a chess player. (Just don't say: your weakness is that you don' t know how to play chess at all, because I am new to chess. I want to know what are my biggest flaws to improve my play.) Thanks you in advance ;)

tacticop

Please?

stocksAndChess1

more piece moves in the opening!

6...h6 is unnecessary as you should be finding ways to develop your bishop and knight

InDetention

i think 3.be6 was a mistake.better would be nc6. trading the knights on move 9 would be OK but still better would be e6. keeping the knights away from d5 and pepearing to play be7 and maybe castle.move 10 was a mistake.you should have played nxe4. on move 12 qe6 is a mistake. better would be e6. kicking the knight out.ng4+ was a blunder on move 19.you were winning but you were still winning after that but better would be nd7.on move 21,qd3 would be better than qh2. qd3 followed by h2  is very bad for white.on move 25, e4 is bad. better would be h2.after 31 rf1 + you were pretty much lost.thats all i can say.

juicysnail

Jenium

Work on simple tactics and read a chess book for beginners.

There is not ONE turning point, but a lot of questionable moves from the very beginning from both sides...

3... Be6 Why?

10... Qd7, Why not take the pawn on e4?

17...e5?? loses to Bc1

19... Ng4+ Why complicating things? You're a piece up.

28 ... Rde8 (maybe Bd6 to protect the pawn and to free your rook)

30... Bc3? (Re7)

38...d3?? Why not Bg3?

39...Rd8?? ...

Just the most obvious mistakes.

You'll improve if you make sure not to hang your pieces, and learn some basic strategy.

tacticop

Yeah, I think that my problem is I try to actually build strategies that are too hard for my level of play. Many times, I was planning to do a strategy and move a pawn according to it, forgetting that my opponent can move squares that I didn't think of, destroying my plans. I think I should focus on basic chess understanding and strategies before moving to plan my own strategies.

tacticop

3... Be6 Why? --- Wanted to develop minor pieces instead of pawn, to castle soon, also lowering his control of center while exchanging bishops and still having equal pieces on the board.

10... Qd7, Why not take the pawn on e4? --- Because I was about to do it with my queen, getting his knight of of the center at the same time and treathening his king.

17...e5?? loses to Bc1 --- That one wasn't smart but my thoughts were: I want to open a path for my bishop and strengthen the center (my queen) and eventually create a passed pawn.

19... Ng4+ Why complicating things? You're a piece up. --- I wanted to come to a fork to his king and rook. Then, I would have cleared the diagonal to force an exchange of bishops to bring my d8 rook the the king's file... With this, I missed what I think it would have been a great tactic... Qg3, Rxg3 h2, exchange of queens with promoted pawn...

28 ... Rde8 --- (maybe Bd6 to protect the pawn and to free your rook) --- I was only thinking about getting the king back and getting my second rook into white side.

30... Bc3? (Re7) --- I was thinking the treath isn't real, so i'll focus on trapping his king.

38...d3?? Why not Bg3? --- I think I was thinking: what's the purpose, he'll still take it when it becomes promoted.

39...Rd8?? ... I just really didn't know what to do. And seeing this, it was a pretty stupid blunder, I'm like.. Pouahahahahaah wtf did I do.

tacticop

I think it's coming up, after seeing your comment Jenium, I looked at the game and saw that I was great at letting hanging pieces getting captured. We can say that 2 of my major flaws are:

-I try to make strategies that are too hard to play for my level

-I let my pieces hang too much and it's because I want to do to many things at once and cannot focus on a real goal.

-Also, I think that I underestimate the value of my little pawns

And Linlaoda, you are right, it was a mistake. I wanted to prevent his knight to get to h5 to fork my rook and queen the move after. Destroying my chances of castling by eating his knight with my king.

That beeing said, I think I play too much on defensive and don't focus enough on attacking.

For tactics, I think that using them is my strongest point in chess. I am rated better in tactics than in other chess parts on chess.com. However, I can' t seem to be able to build a game where I can use the tactics I know. I mean, when you are on tactics trainer, all tactics are already prepared and you just need to use them. But in games, I can't arrive to the point where I can use them.

Is it a representative summary of my major weaknesses?

What chess books would be best for me?

Jenium

Don't worry! Even very strong players usually don't invent their own strategies. They build their games around existing principles which have been established throughout decades and can be read in strategy books.

As for the tactics: You basically lost the game because of tactics. Tactics doesn't necessarily mean to sacrifice your queen, it means that you are able to spot when you can capture a pawn, when your queen is about to be trapped, or when the opponent's rook threatens to come to the seventh rank...  So no, I don't think that you should attack more.You could have won easily just by making sure not to lose your pieces.

A little piece of advise:

When you are up material (in this case a full knight) the easiest way to win is to trade all other pieces, and convert your advantage in the endgame.

I don't know much about beginners books in English. There is a nice book by Capablanca on strategy for beginners and intermediate players.

And Dan Heisman has some nice videos on ICC. (You can get a trial for 14 days. )

I am sure there are many good books though.

Good luck!

tacticop

OK thanks again! 

So.. in chess, we don't use our originality and intelligence to create strategies and only follow the ones already popular? That kind of s.cks.

And... what is ICC? I suppose it's on chess.com since you can listen to videos and for that, you need to be premium. But not sure.

Jenium
tacticop wrote:

OK thanks again! 

So.. in chess, we don't use our originality and intelligence to create strategies and only follow the ones already popular? That kind of s.cks.

Not really!I think you'll find that in every science or art. Even the greatest make use of the knowledge of their predecessors and, maybe, take a step further, and/or improvise around this knowledge. For example,I assume that you cannot improvise in Jazz without having a firm grasp of music.  

Really good chess players know all the basic principles, and constantly  violate against these principles, when they spot an exception.

ICC = Internet Chess Club (the biggest chess server in the www)

http://www6.chessclub.com/chessfm/

tacticop

Good, I' ll give it a look then :)

AndyClifton
tacticop wrote:

lol

AndyClifton

35... Rxe4 (either rook) forces White to play 36 Rc7+ followed by Rxc3 (in order to prevent the threat of Re1+ and mate next move).

halfgreek1963
tacticop wrote:

Please?

Be6 looks horrid.