Forums

Analysis on this game please?

Sort:
EzraTorres

Hello all, could I get some help here please? I think I need better analysis to figure out what I did wrong in this game and perhaps where my thinking may have been skewed. I rarely play this opening, so any helpful tips would be appreciated as I made a mess of it and only came out alive thanks to a couple mistakes or blunders by black. I put as much commenting on my thoughts during the game behind my moves as I could, so please criticize and tell me everything I did wrong or thought wrong. I really just want to improve. Also, this is the first time I've even annotated a game, so if I've said something wrong or if there's a better way to say something please let me know. Thank you so much in advance.

(Puede hablar en espanol tambien)

Shakaali

I don't think 4. d3 and 5. 0-0 deserve the question mark.

7. Bxc5? seems like first questionable decision since it mainly helps black's centre to become stronger. White has several other promissing ways like 7. d4 exd4 8. Nxd4 or 7. c3 to be followed with b4 or d4. If you can get black to exchange the bishops in e3 then the open f-file together with the bishop in c4 could cause problems for black.

11. c4? pretty much kills your own bishop by closing its best diagonal. maybe still 11. c3 to prepare d4 although your position isn't that great anymore.

EzraTorres
Shakaali wrote:

I don't think 4. d3 and 5. 0-0 deserve the question mark.

7. Bxc5? seems like first questionable decision since it mainly helps black's centre to become stronger. White has several other promissing ways like 7. d4 exd4 8. Nxd4 or 7. c3 to be followed with b4 or d4. If you can get black to exchange the bishops in e3 then the open f-file together with the bishop in c4 could cause problems for black.

11. c4? pretty much kills your own bishop by closing its best diagonal. maybe still 11. c3 to prepare d4 although your position isn't that great anymore.

These thoughts really help. I am still new to annotating and just going by what I feel. What you have said makes sense now. Thank you!

DoctorFuu

I am also doubting 9.Bd5 wasting a tempo and allowing black to have d6-d5 immediately available at any moment. Unless you really wanted to deprive the knight from c6 I'm not sure it deserved a move.

I don't think the "losing" move is 12...h3 but 11....c4, as already said. It doesn't only shuts down your bishop, it also deprives you of your only play-generating move: d3-d4. Black can now just follow through with his kingside attack with no fear at all that you will open the center and find his pieces misplaced.

Maybe instead of 13....a4 I would have tried the manoeuver Kh1/2-Ng1-Ne2-f4 to try and get some activity at least. To be followed by Qe1 and Bd1 to bring back your pieces. Your position was already far worse though, mainly because of c4 I think, and I don't think this plan would have sent you back to equality unless your opponents makes multiple mistakes.

EzraTorres
DoigteurFou wrote:

I am also doubting 9.Bd5 wasting a tempo and allowing black to have d6-d5 immediately available at any moment. Unless you really wanted to deprive the knight from c6 I'm not sure it deserved a move.

I don't think the "losing" move is 12...h3 but 11....c4, as already said. It doesn't only shuts down your bishop, it also deprives you of your only play-generating move: d3-d4. Black can now just follow through with his kingside attack with no fear at all that you will open the center and find his pieces misplaced.

Maybe instead of 13....a4 I would have tried the manoeuver Kh1/2-Ng1-Ne2-f4 to try and get some activity at least. To be followed by Qe1 and Bd1 to bring back your pieces. Your position was already far worse though, mainly because of c4 I think, and I don't think this plan would have sent you back to equality unless your opponents makes multiple mistakes.

Yes, I see now that 11...c4 was where I went wrong keeping myself out of the middle and without any maneuverability. Thanks for your thoughts about 13 as well. That makes for at least a little better plan. I realize I was extremely lucky to have won this game...

EzraTorres
LongIslandMark wrote:

1. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Qf6 is the Greco defense. Most common is 3. Nc3 or 3. Bc4, but Nc3 early threatening Nd5.

I believe it is called the Greco not because he played it, but because he published how to play against it. It is widely held as a weak opening for Black.

Thanks for this. I plan to do a little more research on the Greco later.

EzraTorres
Fiveofswords wrote:

7 bxc5 was a very bad decision. Its blacks bad bishop and your good bishop. Nbd2 looks odd also..Bd5 was a complete waste of time. c5 was also a waste of time while also weakening your position. a5 was a complete waste of time.YOu were in serious trouble by move 15...I think Kh2 or Kh1 was totally forced...probably Kh2. When you failed to play that it was game over.

instead of those odd moves you really ought to have tried to figure out how to get your queen/rooks into play. Something like c3 and then Qb3/a4. Also your knights arent in very impressive spots. You had other things to do.

Thanks. This is exactly the kind of feedback I wanted! I appreciate it.

ArtNJ

This seems like a pretty well played game for your rating.  The biggest thing to improve at your rating is usually tactics -- learn to stop dropping pieces, which you didnt do here.  

Even though you didnt get in trouble through tactics in this one, probably you still would be best served by working on your tactics, but if you get a takeaway or two from the comments such as "dont block your own bishop in" thats great.