Forums

Bad played game, help needed

Sort:
ziggurat

Hello, this is my fist post here to a analize a game. I hope you can help me with the two key positions i found myself on advantage and didn't know how to win it.

For the record, i lose on time.

I think there are at least two or three key moments on the game that i screwed up.

Thanks in advance for you help!!

DJ571

On slide 4 move out your bishop

DJ571

Number 8 was a bad move, so was 9, and 11 you shouldn't have done any of those moves then you would've done better.

UrWorstKnightMare

Okay, here's what I see, I may be wrong.

After 16..Kg8 why not 17. Qf7+ again and go up a pawn and a bishop?

Can I ask what was your thinking behind 20. Ne4? He wins your two knights for just one of his. Yes, you're equal on material, but why give him his back when you didn't need to and you could have been ahead?

Good job spotting the blunder where you won a bishop.

I think at move 32 it is a won game for you. You have 3 pawns with no real resistance on the kingside and 3 on his queenside to match his. Definately a won position for you.

I wouldn't worry about the loss. You clearly outplayed your opponent. But time pressure is what killed you. Before the endgame, I think you played a pretty good game.

kingforce

wow, many comments I will try and address all of them, nice opening, I play that alot, he played the pirc which is very passive, ok from position 15 you are completely winning, I think you have to look at the position again!!

move 16  Qxg6+  is a good move, 

just check him again with Qf7 + same position but a pawn up, then carry your plan on, 

you just play Qf7 CHECK again, Kh7 forced,

Bd3 check as you have cleared that pawn, Kh8 forced,

knight to G6 mate, 

Anyway on any level, Qf7 check, then take the bishop and exchanging that was not too bad either, moving that knight in was a mistake, it's too close to the action!

position 21 your developed more, looks very nice for you two passed pawns, 

move 25 blunder by him, your winning, 

move 32 your completely winning,easy win, I would have done C4 instead of pushing my kingside first, try to fix his pawns on the black squares and stop him moving the queenside pawns up, shame about time huh

hope this helps

TwoMove

You chould have played 18QXQ BxQ 19Ne5 with two pawn up endgame.

Position 32Bxa8 should be winning don't think there is any way black can get a blockade on black squares.

Not sure about position after 21...Bh6, if black chould activate bishops whould be better since bishop generally better than pawns if not too far advanced. Think should be ok since have 22f4 stopping e5, but it is hard to be sure should never of got into this mess.

26...Rxe5 blunder, should have played something like 26...Kc5 when still very unclear.

Loomis

When your opponent has the kingside fianchetto like he did, it's not usually best to trade your dark squared bishop on f6 like that. He has a very strong bishop and now it is unopposed.

I would have played 11. dxe5 rather than 11. Nxe5. The knight has to move and doesn't have much place to go. The knight can go to h7 or g4 and then black is in trouble because of 12. e6 attacking the pinned bishop. 12. ... fxe6 13. Bxe6+ doesn't help.

At move 17 you have a two pawn advantage. You can either liquidate some pieces and win with the extra pawns, or as you did you can go for more material. You overlooked that your knight had no escape squares from h6. So you just have to work on tactics and looking ahead.

You have three pawns for the piece. So your chance to win will come in the form of pushing those kingside pawns like crazy. Make them valuable!

After 28. Rxd7 you are just winning. You'll push your 3 kingside pawns and they can't be stopped. But you have to look out for what your opponent can do.  Even after you trade rooks you are winning. Bishops of opposite colors are often drawn in a pawn ending. But 3 connected passed pawns when your opponent has no passed pawns should be enough for a win.

However, you still have to look out for your opponent's threats. At this point your opponent attacks your pawns and you don't even pay attention to it. These are one move threats.

33. ... Bg7. This attacks a pawn. Defend it! 34. c3 or 34. b3 and we're moving right along.

42. ... Bf2. This attacks a pawn. Defend it! 43. h5 and everything is secure.

48. ... Kf4. This attacks a pawn. Defend it! 50. Bc6 holds everything tight.

These were one move threats. The things you should see immediately, even with very little time on your clock you should look at which of your pieces does your opponent's move attack.

KidHobo

12. dxe5

13. e6

1-0

Spiffe

17.Nf7 is the type of move that looks strong, but isn't.  It doesn't really help to attack the king, and instead spends a move driving the queen to where she wants to go (to the defense of the kingside).  In fact, you end up getting that knight trapped.

I might've preferred queen back to f7 there:

17.Qf7+ Kh7 Bd3+ Kh8 Ng6+ Kh7 Nf8+ Kh8 Nxd7 leaves you up a piece + 2 pawns
17.Qf7+ Kh8 Ng6+ Kh7 Bd3, and it's hard to find a good defense to the above line

I would say the position after 21...Bxh6 is probably about even.  Your attack is over, and your pawns on the kingside should balance out his extra piece.

The position after 32.Bxa8 is won for white.  Bishops of opposite colors are often an indicator of a drawn position, but three connected passed pawns are too much for black to hold off.  Your plan should be to play a4 then b3, putting all your pawns on a color opposite of his bishop, bring your bishop to the f1-a6 diagonal to discourage him from trading off ALL the queenside pawns, and then use your king to shepherd all your passed pawns up the board simultaneously.  You let too many pawns go for free, and after 47...Ke5, the game is now drawn.

ziggurat

Hey, thanks very much for your comments!! kingforce, great comment!! At some point on the game i looked my bishop and thought "how can i activate it?" I completely missed that without the g pawn the bishop had a fantastic diagonal!

Loomis, thanks for the advice on changing the knight on the fianchetto. Also i have to improve a lot my endgame when playing under time pressure, it is like i stop thinking on the basics and only think on how can i "win" time, instead of "slowly" play with my extra forces and force my opponent to think.

Thanks!!