Best game and a glitch? WTF | ~700 Elo

ToxWox

Hi guys I am a below 700 elo player which is pretty terrible but I'd like you to check out this game and give your insight on what I should improve (Im playing black in this game) happy.png Also feel free to look into my other games.
Btw: Can someone explain to me what happened on move 30th by white (exf6) ? My opponent took a pawn when he wasn't able to. I found it weird during the game because I was sure that I moved it far enough but I thought I missclicked. Apparently I did not but he still took it. How did that happen?!

ToxWox

I still cannot figure out what happened on that move. Was my opponent cheating or what?

DiscipleOfKeres

Not cheating, not a glitch. It is called en passant, and is a perfectly legal move. One of the other special moves to know besides castling. Happens when a pawn moves 2 spaces forward to an opponent's adjacent pawn, allowing the capture to take place. More information can be found here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/En_passant There are probably resources on this chess.com to help out with that too.

ArtNJ

It seems like you love attacking another one of his pieces rather than defending your attacked piece or taking the free material.  This is bad practice for a beginner.  It didn't bite you here, but its certain it will in the future.   Just for example, 15. ... ba4 is bad, because of the simple 16. b3 and you now have 2 pieces attacked instead of one and won't be able to save all of them -- you'll still be ahead, but by less.  

little_guinea_pig

That's right. Counterattacking is sometimes a good idea, but not always!

Deranged

There are 2 special rules in chess that seem to do weird, magical things:

1) Castling - You move a king and a rook at the same time, and the king moves 2 squares and the rook jumps a piece!

2) En passant - A pawn captures a pawn that isn't even there, almost as if the computer registered that the pawn only moved one square instead of two!

You should read up on how both of those rules work.

TitaniumBishop

If a pawn moves two squares forward when it could've been captured by a pawn if it had moved only one square, then the opponent can capture the pawn as if it had only moved one square.

Trexler3241

It's called en passant. You can capture a pawn like this in the following conditions:

The pawn moved 2 squares.

The pawn just moved. (If you can do en passant, that's the only time you can capture the pawn like that!)

nartreb

1. e4 d5 2. Nc3 d4

A little aggressive, usually you want to develop your pieces before pushing your pawns.  But maybe it'll encourage your opponent to make a mistake...

3. Nd5 e6

Now it's your opponent who's taking risks.  Your reply was excellent.

4. Nb4Bxb4

Blunder by your opponent, and you took advantage immediately.  That's how games are won.

5. Bb5+ Bd7

c6 was probably better, but this is fine.

6. Qe2 a6

good.

7. Bc4Bc6

A good move to stop and consider.  You had several options here: chase the bishop with b5, develop your kingside knight (preparing to castle), or even bring back your dark-squared bishop that's hanging alone and exposed.  Why choose this move?  It's fine for 600 ELO, but what strategy are you pursuing that helps you decide which move is best?

8. Qg4 g6

Defending the g-pawn is commendable - it shows you're paying attention - , but it turns out that pawn isn't all that valuable.  You could play Nf6 and end up winning white's e-pawn, which would be an advantage for you.  Letting the queen onto the 7th rank is scary, but play this one out on a board, the queen doesn't make any further progress.

9. Ne2 Nf6

Good.

10. Qg3Nxe4 

Very good.  It turns out that taking with the bishop would be even better, but taking a pawn with tempo is still very good.

11. Qb3 a5

Another quick defensive move.  Spotting threats is the first step, so good job there.  The problem here is that the bishop can't stay where it is if white pushes the a (or c) pawn.  So your pawn move is wasted and ends up isolating the pawn, leaving your queenside weak.    Retreating the bishop to c5 would be better.

12. O-O Na6

When in doubt, develop a piece.  But this is a bad square for your knight.

13. c3 Nac5

Counterattack!  Very resourceful!  (You probably should have retreated the bishop, but this is worth a try.)

14. Qc2 d3

Good!  Once you start attacking, keep up the pressure!

15. Qd1 Ba4

Uh-oh.  I take it back.  You're over-extended now.  This bishop can be attacked by b2, your other bishop is en prise, and you may miss your chance to take his knight on e2.  Plus your c5 knight is trying to defend too many pieces at once.

16. Qe1 b5

He missed c2, and now we've got a Mexican standoff.  It's going to get bloody...

17. Nd4 bxc4 18. cxb4Qxd4 19. Qe3 Qxe3 

He missed bxc5.  You are winning now.

20. dxe3 d2

You should have moved your c5 knight.  His bishop was unable to run away.

21. bxc5 dxc1=Q 22. Raxc1 Bb523. f3 c3 24. Rfd1 Rd8

Did you forget about your knight?  And that c-pawn?  And isn't it about time you castled?

25. fxe4Rxd1+ 26. Rxd1 c2 27. Rc1 Bd3

Ah, OK.  Not such a bad plan,. though probably not worth sacrificing a knight.

28. b3 O-O 29. e5 f5 30. exf6 Rxf6

"The rest is a matter of technique" - you have an extra piece and an advanced pawn.  Fine job converting that to a quick win.

31. h3 Rf1+ 32. Rxf1 Bxf1 33. Kxf1c1=Q+ 34. Ke2 Qb1 35. Kf3 Qxa236. Kg3 Qxb3 37. Kf3 a4 38. g4 a339. Kg3 a2 40. Kh4 a1=Q 41. Kg5Kg7 42. h4 Qxe3# 0-1

Your opponent lost a piece due to an early blunder.  After that, equal exchanges => you win.  You missed some chances to do even better, but you didn't make any serious blunders, and it was  a fun game, so you should be happy with this one.