Forums

claim a draw

Sort:
badonders

Hi,

Can someone help me out. My opponent in one of my recent games claimed a draw. I didn't agree but after all I agreed in drawing the game.

Can someone help me out, if my opponent was right claiming a draw? If he is, I owe him a big apology. The game is below and I was playing the white pieces.

Thanks in advance. Bart

Nytik

When did he offer you the draw? At the final position? Because if he offered you it at move 35, he might've thought you were going for perpetual anyway.

Scarblac

Well, if he can claim a draw, then he can just press the "Claim Draw" button. The opponent doesn't have to agree with a claim.

Here I see a couple positions that occurred twice, but for a draim claim, a position needs to occur three times. When that happens, the "Offer Draw" button is changed into a "Claim Draw" button. And if he doesn't claim right then (before making a move), the chance is gone.

badonders

He said that this game was drawn by the rules of chess... This was after move 36 of white.

I couldn't find three equal positions during the game, so I didn't agree. He was convinced, so I accepted his draw offer...

Scarblac

Well, he was wrong.

dsarkar

White HAS a win, but it is extremely difficult - you will have to stop his mating threats and checks (you dont have a mating threat yourself), if possible exchange the pieces (I doubt he would have allowed it) then promote the c-pawn - OR lure his king away from his king pawns with the threat of the c-pawn, and gobble up his king pawns?.

The position is filled with pitfalls - the slightest slip and either can lose quickly.

I think you did right to accept a draw.

dsarkar

I take my last post back - I could not work out a winning line on board - black has lots of resourceful moves - I think it is a draw.

Maybe someone of very high level can work out a win?

badonders

This post is about if black is right about the fact that he can claim a draw, as described in the rules of chess...

I would like an answer to that... Reading between the lines I was called a cheater, because I didn't accept the first draw offer. And THAT is why I want to find an answer to that question.

TheOldReb

In the position/game you have given black cannot claim a draw by the rules of chess. Was this a chess.com game or otb , turn based or live ? There was no perpetual check, nor repitition of position ( 3 times ) and no way to claim a draw by the 50 move rule, what was he telling you was the reason for his "claim" ?

badonders

The exact discussion was:

OPPONENT:  My next move repeats the position for the third time

badonders: Sorry, i just count the same position twice. I Will check this evening.

OPPONENT: this game is drawn by the rules of chess. If you want bteh game you have it. I won't be playing you again

badonders: If you say so. I still don't agree

TheOldReb
badonders wrote:

badonders: Sorry, i just count the same position twice. I Will check this evening.

OPPONENT: this game is drawn by the rules of chess. If you want bteh game you have it. I won't be playing you again

If what he said were true then he would be able to hit the "claim draw " button and the game would be drawn automatically. He wouldnt need to ask you anything so, he lied.

Scarblac
badonders wrote:

At what point did he say this?

In OTB chess, you don't make the move that repeats the position, and instead claim and say "if I now play move xx, the position will be repeated for the third time". It doesn't work like that here, here you repeat first and then claim. He may be confused.

That said, I still don't see a point where black could have chosen to repeat. White yes, but for black I don't see it.

Should your opponent be made aware of this thread? I wonder what he has to say.

badonders

Tonight I will try to have a little conversation with him. Then I will point him to this thread...

The first sentence of the discussion in the game came with his 36th move of the game.

alex_walsh
[COMMENT DELETED]
princejher

you missed the good continuation after you sacrifice your a-pawn

alex_walsh

No draw from before, and following Qh8+ then Qb2, Whites position is solid, eliminating the upcoming draw threats of Qf2+ and Qc1+, and essentially winning the game. Sorry Badonders, you've been duped ;>) 

dfreire

Badonders, you are too much of a nice guy :-)

Fischer said “I like the moment when I break a man's ego”. I usually don't like this quote because for me playing chess is about having fun and not about humiliating an opponent, but Badonders, you seem to be the exact opposite of Fischer.

There's no way I would agree on a draw based on that chat conversation. Specially after he said "I won't be playing you again". That's when my goal would become to break his ego.

badonders

i did break him in the revanche match ;-)

cretin_international

don't worry about threats... I had received multiple treats and insults and they did not stop me to have fun with another player and even play with these means opponents in second or third round of a tournament and they had to play again or loose by timeout...-:). I could be wrong but when a player usualy claim a draw is because he or she does not see how to get away from a loosing position unless it is obvious that no one can win.. but in your game you were at least 5 points ahead and winning . he saw that and intimidate you.... don't go this way and have fun...