Eric's sacrifice-of-the-day

elindauer

Here's a fun sacrifice out of a King's gambit I played today:

Hope you enjoyed it.  Thanks for reading.

gambitsareok

I did Bxf7+  Kxf7  Ng5 double check (I had already castled) Ke8 Qxg4 in a game. It was very fun. Thanks for the post. The castle into check looked like a great move to me.

tbischel

your note on move 8... "Threatening Bxf7+ Kxf7, Kg5+ followed by Qxg4 when I would be up two pawns and holding a strong attack on the black king.", is not quite right.  If Bxf7 Kxf7 Ng5+ QxN! and black stays ahead because of the counter threats to white's queen

gambitsareok
tbischel wrote:

your note on move 8... "Threatening Bxf7+ Kxf7, Kg5+ followed by Qxg4 when I would be up two pawns and holding a strong attack on the black king.", is not quite right.  If Bxf7 Kxf7 Ng5+ QxN! and black stays ahead because of the counter threats to white's queen

Thought I had that in a tactics training. Probably why I castled so it would be double check with knight and rook.

Lurker87

Excellent. I love that f-file in the KG :) So many fun things to do with it!

elindauer
tbischel wrote:

QxN is a good defense, but white will still win the piece back.  For example, BxQ, BxQ KxB leaving white up a pawn.

I think there is some hope that O-O+ will now result in getting the piece back with an attack, ie, O-O+ Ke8 BxQ BxQ RxQ where white is up 2 pawns and much better.  The main concern would be O-O+ Kg5, when black remains up a piece but at the cost of a highly exposed king that may cost him the game.  I don't know if white has enough compensation here, but it certainly look promising.  Qe1-f2 threatening mate on f7 looks very promising, and black will have a hard time defending his exposed king once the white queenside pieces get into the game.

Thanks for the comments.

tbischel

As far as I can tell in your line, white is still down a piece for two pawns, and I don't see enough compensation.  After black plays for instance, Nc4 or Be7, I feel like black has a comfortable edge.  Nxd4 is playable too.  The Kg5 line may even be worse, as white is down two pieces for two pawns, and very little attack.

joshgregory7

tbischel your example shows correct play but it isnt the same game shown above.  there is a bishop on e7

tbischel

this was in response to the on note move 8 (hypothetical continuation from a pass move by black)... see the previous parts of the thread.

elindauer
tbischel wrote:

As far as I can tell in your line, white is still down a piece for two pawns, and I don't see enough compensation.  After black plays for instance, Nc4 or Be7, I feel like black has a comfortable edge.  Nxd4 is playable too.  The Kg5 line may even be worse, as white is down two pieces for two pawns, and very little attack.

Thanks. You're right!

wishiwonthatone

That was brilliant. Wow.