12517 Players currently online!
Man vs. Machine - good luck!
Turn-based games at any time!
Vote for the best move to win!
Do you have what it takes?
Backgammon, Yatzy, and more!
Sharpen your tactical vision!
Get advice and game insights!
Learn from top players & pros!
View millions of master games!
Your virtual chess coach!
Perfect your opening moves!
Test your skills vs. computer!
Find the right private coach!
Can you solve it each day?
Bring it all together!
Beginners, start here!
Make friends & play team games!
News from the world of chess!
Search all Chess.com members!
Find local clubs & events!
Who's the best of your friends?
Read what members are saying!
Yes, sorry. Herzog posted the steps earlier:
1. Start Fritz2. Press F12 to open games list3. Click File|Open|Database 4. Click the "File Type" drop down arrow and choose PGN5. Locate your PGN file and open it"
To save a PGN or game from Fritz 12 into a database (e.g., into a .cbh database of all your games or something),
1. Click the green button in the upper left hand corner
2. Click Save Game As
3. Click the "File Type" drop down arrow and choose CBH
4. Locate the existing database (like MyInternetGames.cbh or whatever)
4. Select that database and hit the New/Open button and it should save into that database
I should add that I have found Fritz 12 is not a great interface for database management. That's why they sell ChessBase 12 separately.
Okay I was having the same problem with viewing pgns in Fritz 12, Herzog's instructions do work, but here's more details:
1) Open up Fritz 122) from the "main window", click on the green button on the upper left corner3) a new window ("games list" window) should pop up4) In the "games list window", click on the round button on the upper left corner, select Open and change the file type to .pgn and now the game should be in the list and you can double click on it to view the game on the "main window"
Now if you want to create your own database and save a bunch of pgns to it, I haven't found a quick way to do this but here's one method:
1) have the game open in the "main window"2) click on the upper left corner round button again (I don't think it matters whether you do it from the "main window" or the "games list window")3) click on New-->New database4) give it a name and click Open (this should open a "games list window" with no games)5) click on the upper left corner round button-->Save-->Save gamethis will save the game from the main window to the database
Hope this helps!
Hi, I could use Fritz 12 to analyze a PGN file.
1. Download PGN file and open the file.
2. A board pop up.
3. Click "P" to pause automatic play.
4. Click "file", and then click "Copy Game To Clipboaad".
5. Run Fritz 12, and then click Paste Game.
I wrote an article about it on my blog. It's written in Japanese, however you can see some images. They are helping your understanding.
1. Start Fritz2. Press F12 to open games list3. Click File|Open|Database 4. Click the "File Type" drop down arrow and choose PGN5. Locate your PGN file and open it
THANK YOU SO MUCh, this works for fritz 13 as well!
If you can't figure out that you can't find your file because you haven't selected ".pgn" files from the drop down menu, you shouldn't be playing chess in the first place.
Don't take it out on the developers because you can't navigate a fairly navigable application. It's not rocket science. (Nor is it chess.)
If you click open and nothing happens when selecting the PGN file, just copy the name of the file into the box where "*.pgn" appears and then click open. It should work just fine.
Note: You need to be on the folder where the PGN file is located to do this.
Hello there! It is a rather old thread but I've just encounter the same problem and none of these solutions worked quite well (if I'm wront correct me)As I found out, Fritz 12 can't analyze .png games, but the analysis function operates quite well with .cbh files! So in order to analyze a .png game all you have to do is open it (the instructions have been mentioned above), then hit File-Save As, and simplyt save it as .chb. Then open the .chb you just created and then hit Tools-Full Analysis.
Okay no one has said the correct way to do it so here it is (At least for Fritz 12 users):
1. Create a new database: on the home tab click the large database button (far right). Opens a new window.
2. Click circular database button (far left) and go to new. Create a new CBH database where you will add all your custom pgn games.
3. To add a pgn DO NOT GO TO THE DATABASE BUTTON AND CLICK OPEN like other people have suggested! Just don't do it! It will open a pgn file as the current database which is not what you want! Instead go to the PASTE button directly below the circular database button. Choose APPEND GAME. Change the filter in the bottom right to PGN and open the pgn file you want. This will add that pgn file as a new game in your currently selected database.
The title of the current database is in the titlebar of the window so make sure its the one you created in step 1 and not the default fritz db.
Yes this will be cumbersome if you have many pgn files. Probably if you need to add many many pgn files all at once then use a script to add them all to one file. PGN files are plaintext and many games can be placed in 1 pgn file.
Here's an idea I found:
HOPE THAT HELPS GUYS AND GALS
I have been trying for a few weeks to figure out how to save a game or to save a set up position in Fritz. When I click save it doesn't work, says file not found. However I am not trying to find any file just trying to save a file.
When you click 'save' it is basically asking you to select which database you would like to save to.
Thank you very very much!!
Damn, three years ago! I really gotta upgrade.
same with Fritz 14, it took me while to open a PNG, REALLY :(...
Help !....What do I do ?
by Bishop_g5 a few minutes ago
5/3/2016 - The Slip
by Newba 5 minutes ago
Help solve the problem
by WindowsEnthusiast 7 minutes ago
Kasparov is slaughtering Nakamura and So.
by Elubas 11 minutes ago
best song to listen to while playing chess
by Senior-Lazarus_Long 25 minutes ago
#BCM2 - Pulpofeira vs. MSC157
by MSC157 28 minutes ago
Hurt/Heal World Champions
by kemenmotar 33 minutes ago
Alcohol and chess!
by najdorf96 41 minutes ago
What happens when no one votes in vote chess
by ijgeoffrey 62 minutes ago
Special dedicated to my Angsa Cantik
by Anti-Runner 63 minutes ago
Why Join | Chess Topics |
Help & Support |
© 2016 Chess.com
• Chess - English
We are working hard to make Chess.com available in over 70 languages. Check back over the year as we develop the technology to add more, and we will try our best to notify you when your language is ready for translating!