x
Chess - Play & Learn

Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

Great way to play against e4......VERY instructive game that I played.

  • #1
    What is your opinion of this game?  Any recommendations/comments?



  • #2

    My opponent resigned after Rf2....he saw that there is a beautiful little knight fork on h2 if white tries to block my queen check on h1 with his bishop.

     

     

  • #3

    The Scandinavian isn't great against e4

  • #4

    JamesAgadir wrote:

    The Scandinavian isn't great against e4

    This is the gambit in the scandinavian...and it always gives black a lot of initiative for the pawn sac. I have played it countless times against players rated 1600-2200...trust me.
  • #5

    26...Qh2+ 27.Kf1 Qh1# seems a bit better than playing ...Nh2, in my humble opinion. 

     

    White can also decline this gambit by playing 3.c4 and on ...c6 just d4 transposing to a panov botvinnik attack.

    The really annoying line of the 2...Nf6 Scandinavian is Bb5+, white is supposed to have an advantage in those lines. Another reasonable move is 3.Nf3, trying to either sideline 2...Nf6 into a regular Scandi (after ...Qxd5, and if ...Nxd5 c4) after which black's most aggressive try is 3...Bg4. In terms of the actual game, white would be doing really well if he had taken on c6 prior to playing his move Ng3, or if he had played Bf4 after taking on c6, I believe. 

  • #6

    CoachGunnar wrote:

    26...Qh2+ 27.Kf1 Qh1# seems a bit better than playing ...Nh2, in my humble opinion. 

     

    White can also decline this gambit by playing 3.c4 and on ...c6 just d4 transposing to a panov botvinnik attack.

    The really annoying line of the 2...Nf6 Scandinavian is Bb5+, white is supposed to have an advantage in those lines. Another reasonable move is 3.Nf3, trying to either sideline 2...Nf6 into a regular Scandi (after ...Qxd5, and if ...Nxd5 c4) after which black's most aggressive try is 3...Bg4. In terms of the actual game, white would be doing really well if he had taken on c6 prior to playing his move Ng3, or if he had played Bf4 after taking on c6, I believe. 

    obviously......I am talking about if white instead of Rf2...plays his rook far away from his king. Then Qh1 can be met with Bg1 blocking the check. THEN after this, I have a clean little fork with Nh2+.... you didnt see what I was talking about clearly.
  • #7
    CoachGunner wrote n terms of the actual game, white would be doing really well if he had taken on c6 prior to playing his move Ng3, or if he had played Bf4 after taking on c6, I believe. 

    Aye. Aggressive development against aggressive gambit needed.  Whenever your King's corner gets popped open, and there's real threats for it, you had better have some very accurate defense or killer counter-attacks or you're sunk.  The preferred path is to avoid that scenario (as White in tgat game) to begin with, maintaining pressure without exposing your K.

  • #8

    I might play 7 BxN and then d3 etc as White.  Play against your isolated c pawn and bishop pair.  

  • #9

    22...Ne4+

  • #10

    penandpaper0089 wrote:

    22...Ne4+

    I wanted to play this move, but I realized that white's king can do a nice walk over to the queenside and find shelter there. Yes, black is far superior in position, but the game may have lasted another 30 moves. And I was hoping white not take my knight, in fear of Rd2+...where black is still far better
  • #11

    ZebraGang wrote:

    again thinking that you're the greatest player in the world, how is this supposed to be instructive? Your opponent blundered a pawn on the tenth move and could've tripled your pawns on the seventeenth move. 

    uhhhh calm down little buddy. First, you can't triple my pawns. My queen on a6 guards my knight on f6........and the engine said I made 20 excellent moves, 4 good moves and ZERO inaccuracies, mistakes, nor blunders......For beginners especially, I think this can be an instructive game. If you are master class player, then no.
  • #12

    I think more beginners should play this gambit line against e4...instead of the Sicilian or the french defense.

  • #13
    CoachGunnar wrote:

    26...Qh2+ 27.Kf1 Qh1# seems a bit better than playing ...Nh2, in my humble opinion. 

     

    White can also decline this gambit by playing 3.c4 and on ...c6 just d4 transposing to a panov botvinnik attack.

    The really annoying line of the 2...Nf6 Scandinavian is Bb5+, white is supposed to have an advantage in those lines. Another reasonable move is 3.Nf3, trying to either sideline 2...Nf6 into a regular Scandi (after ...Qxd5, and if ...Nxd5 c4) after which black's most aggressive try is 3...Bg4. In terms of the actual game, white would be doing really well if he had taken on c6 prior to playing his move Ng3, or if he had played Bf4 after taking on c6, I believe. 

    3.Bb5+ Nbd7 4.c4 a6 5.Bxd7+ Bxd7 6.d4 e6 7.de Bxe6 8.d5 Bg4 looks interesting at least.

  • #14

    if Bb5+ gives white an advantage, then it is veryy small. Look at the highest depth of any engine

  • #15

    6.f3 is not the brightest move to play in a position where white has a pawn for... errr, basically nothing.

    Just 6.Nf3 and where is your compensation?

    I guess you have mixed 3.c4 c6 (which is just fine if white accepts the pawn since d4 has been weakened) with 3.Nc3 c6? which is rubbish. What the hell was wrong with 3...Nxd5?

    White steadily keeps dropping wood in the rest of the game.

  • #16

    I agree that this kind of play is a good style for people learning. Regardless of potential lines where white is better it shows that in practical chess initiative and activity can compensate fully for material deficit and can indeed prove more important. Although i see nothing wrong with also playing Sicilian or French as there are also aggressive and sacrificial variations within those openings. Anyway, if you gambit a pawn you are obliged to play for the attack which is good for learning IMO.

  • #17

    pfren wrote:

    6.f3 is not the brightest move to play in a position where white has a pawn for... errr, basically nothing.

    Just 6.Nf3 and where is your compensation?

    I guess you have mixed 3.c4 c6 (which is just fine if white accepts the pawn since d4 has been weakened) with 3.Nc3 c6? which is rubbish. What the hell was wrong with 3...Nxd5?

    White steadily keeps dropping wood in the rest of the game.

    c6 is a perfectly fine move according to stockfish.....and Nxd5 is super boring to play. I would never play that move.
  • #18

    Strangemover wrote:

    I agree that this kind of play is a good style for people learning. Regardless of potential lines where white is better it shows that in practical chess initiative and activity can compensate fully for material deficit and can indeed prove more important. Although i see nothing wrong with also playing Sicilian or French as there are also aggressive and sacrificial variations within those openings. Anyway, if you gambit a pawn you are obliged to play for the attack which is good for learning IMO.

    I agree, but the modern scandinavian gambit is hardly a gambit. Black gets a lot of activity for the pawn. But yes, it is an aggressive defense. Great for beginners.
  • #19
    ZebraGang wrote:
    LeonSKennedy992 wrote:
    Strangemover wrote:

    I agree that this kind of play is a good style for people learning. Regardless of potential lines where white is better it shows that in practical chess initiative and activity can compensate fully for material deficit and can indeed prove more important. Although i see nothing wrong with also playing Sicilian or French as there are also aggressive and sacrificial variations within those openings. Anyway, if you gambit a pawn you are obliged to play for the attack which is good for learning IMO.

    I agree, but the modern scandinavian gambit is hardly a gambit. Black gets a lot of activity for the pawn. But yes, it is an aggressive defense. Great for beginners.

    HAHAHA, its an aggressive defense. What a smart stupid answer. Do you mean counter attack?

    The scandinavian is an aggressive defense.  Black counters the center immediately.  Not to mention evacuates the queen from her home...immediately.  Please stop acting like a baby.

Top

Online Now