Forums

I make a small mistake and white resigns

Sort:
jonnin

I don't get it.

Camille-100

Well it is pretty darn obvious why white resigned at that point.

jonnin

it isnt pretty but we are not grand masters either.  QxQ, BxQ and then I have to catch him --- and playing it out vs the PC a couple of different ways, all I managed to do was maintain a 1 (doubled) pawn advantage to the end. 

If its obvious, enlighten me?  Here is how it went vs the PC, and I claim that at our level of play, in spite of the well developed white king, it could go either way.  Now, if I had not allowed the queen trade, I think black has a win.

Stormstout

I would keep playing.

mishrashubham

Well,why can't White Play 9.Nxf6+ Nxf6 and Bxf5 or Qxf5 and thus pick up a pawn.I am a weak player and thus,I am sure that I am missing something but what?

grass-hopper

The white king is well exposed but without the queens on the board he certainly could have played on. I'd say he just lost heart, & didn't want to scrap it out till the end! Just be thankful he quit & saved you a long hard game :0)

grass-hopper
mishrashubham wrote:

Well,why can't White Play 9.Nxf6+ Nxf6 and Bxf5 or Qxf5 and thus pick up a pawn.I am a weak player and thus,I am sure that I am missing something but what?

Yes, you are missing the fact that white has already played 9. c4 So unless he has a time machine there's not much he can do about it now..

jonnin
mishrashubham wrote:

He certainly could have done this.   I suspect he wanted a heavy presence in the mid board to produce an attacking opportunity and trading away to an endgame was not desired?  Its also quite complex and fear of missing something is an issue in a position like that, with the clock ticking. 

9. Ne4xf6+ Nd7xf6 10. Qf3xf5 Qd5xg2 is bad for white.

9. Ne4xf6+ Nd7xf6 10. Bd3xf5 Qd5xd4  is pretty even.

jonnin

Well anyway,  thanks for the comments.   When I posted it I felt like I had missed some cleverness that would seal it for black but came up empty.  So I sit there looking at it thinking "he sees something I don't"....

grass-hopper

This topic is about why white resigned from his current position. Not how he could have played better.