I'm going INSANE!

Deranged

I used to be like this. I'd make some great moves but some awful blunders.

But then I found a trick to avoiding the blunders: once you've decided on a move, stop and spend 5 seconds doing a quick "blunder check". You'd be surprised what you can pick up in those 5 seconds.

Your goal of the blunder check is to avoid 1-2 move tactics that lose material or get you mated. Focus on checks and captures that your opponent can make.

KingSideInvasion
aronian22 wrote:
KingSideInvasion wrote:

I'M GOING INSANE!!! 

I look deeply at positional threats and moves and then make terrible moves.

Look at the following:

I spent a lot of time looking at the move Ra3 with a positional intent. I even calculated Qxb2 deeply. I'm just insane, I never saw that bishop! 

I always feel like all of my ideas and plans are deeper than my opponent's but that means absolutely NOTHING if I make these kinds of STUPID blunders. This is completely unacceptable for a rapid game as a 1600. 

I have exactly the same problem! Want to play?

Sure

Magnus_Chase19

lol i  suck 2

MFNDevil666

This is going to sound odd, but when i look at a position i sometimes look away and shake my head, i then look back at the position and am able to deepen my knowledge on the position.

alexwiththeglasses

Maybe a change in your way of playing would help. After all, you want to minimize the likelihood of similar blunders in the future, not analyze what you already know, right?

Just something easy & concrete to try & see if it works for you...

Put the typical "checks, captures, threats... candidate moves" approach on hold, and first do a quick before & after look at your opponent's last move.

In the example maybe the move before the opponent's knight was on b4 so you pushed your c pawn to get it out of your territory. And so the knight moved back to c6. The quick check would be to look at the b4 square, then check the horizontal, vertical, and diagonal paths from that now abandoned square. We can see right off the bat that the opponent not only has a threat on the board - queen taking the unprotected b2 pawn - but also that the bishop path now cuts across to a3. This quick "open paths" check can then inform your usual candidate moves thinking.

Hope this sparks some ideas that really work for the way you play.

santiagomagno15

Most of the time in that level you find that the bigges mistake is just to blunder pieces away, and if we add that many times we say, this is move is great, I am amazing, there is nothing that can go wrong with that, my opponent is toast... well then we have blunders in all of our games as a result

Ripley_Osbourne

It never happens to anyone what happened to you, dear OP, I recommend brain amputation and toes exercises.