Forums

Mainline_Novelty vs stubborn_d0nkey : WITH KIBITZERS!!

Sort:
bresando

Yes, only move.

Mainline_Novelty

Just gonna go ahead and play 4.Kf1 now because it;s forced.

IncrediBill

I'm glad @stubborn_d0nkey choose to play 3...Qh4+.  I know that it puts his Queen out in the open, and that he will eventually have to lose a tempo by moving it away.  But I look at it as a kind of reverse gambit.  White sacrificed a pawn to gain some position, whereas Black sacrifices a tempo in order to take away White's castling option and hemming in the rook.

Is it good or bad ?  I don't know . . . but we're going to have a lot of fun finding out.

IncrediBill

Since I was one of the proponents of the 3...Qh4+ move, I guess I better step up and give @stubborn_d0nkey some options.

One is to play 4...Nc6 and just develop another piece. 

Another would be to play 4...d6 and open up the lines for the c8-Bishop.  I figure if White plays 5.Nf3, Black could then respond with 5...Bg4 and pin it down against his Queen.

Between the two, 4...Nc6 is the simplest and most direct, whereas, 4...d6 could lead to some pretty crazy lines . . . and I think it might even eliminate the lost tempo issue with the Black Queen.

Unless someone else has other suggestions, I think Black should play 4...d6.  Only because it is the more aggressive of the two, and that is what type of game the Kings Gambit is.

shepi13

You can also play a gambit with b5 - forget what it's called though.

stubborn_d0nkey

If you think d6 seems crazy, how about 4...d5 which I am contemplating?

bresando

I think 4...d5 also has some theory attacked.

bresando

Archieving an important freeing move with tempo and opening the position while white can't castle (for the price of a pawn) sounds like an idea worth considering, right ;)? 

IncrediBill

I don't see any strategic advantage to 4...d5. As far as I can see you would only lose your pawn.  At least 2...b5 moves White's Bishop up one Rank (3.Bxb5) where the Queen can fork it on a future move.

MoonlessNight

I like g5

bresando

Giving a pawn in the hope that somewhere  in the future white will miss a 1-move threat is called hope chess and rarely works...the point of b5 is not in a future fork, black simply wants the bishop off the dangerous c4-f7 diagonal. That said, 4...d5 looks like a more logical way to give back the pawn fot the already explained reasons; i don't think 4...b5 is a good move (It's fair to say that Kasparov once played 4...b5 in a rapid game against Short, so it has a strong  (one time) supporter, but it's also fair to say that the russian lost the game in 15 moves...). In any case think i would try to hold the pawn for now.

Daeru

How about 4...f5

stubborn_d0nkey

On an android atm so I'll update with the game later (if somebody doesn't beat me to it).

I know d5 isn't a art of much theory and is very rare, but it has grown on me so I'm going with it.

4...d5?!

bresando
IncrediBill

I don't like the 4...d5 move, but I am curious to see how it plays out.

IncrediBill

I would say that White should just ignore the attack on the Bishop (for now) and get aggressive by developing a piece and launching an attack of his own on the Queen by playing 5.Nf3  

Ben_Dubuque

yeah that looks good, makes sence, develops with tempo, and gets center control what's not to like

bresando

I think it's better to just 5.Bxd5, Nf3 is not going away anytime soon. It's  harder for black to plan if he doesn't know when the queen will be forced back.

stubborn_d0nkey

I pretty much know my reply to both suggested moves :D Though I probably wont move immediately if 5.Bxd5 is played.

Mainline_Novelty

Sorry guys...been rlly busy lately. Anyways, I'm chopping d5 with the Bishop, I'll post a diagram later.