Forums

Mainline_Novelty vs stubborn_d0nkey : WITH KIBITZERS!!

Sort:
Mainline_Novelty

Hey guys! A lot of you have probably seen/participated in this forum chess game. As that game is likely to end soon, we give you this new forum chess game between me and stubborn_d0nkey. Same rules as there, I'm not going to post them, go read for yourself Laughing So, we begin :

1.e4

VULPES_VULPES

Wait-what is this?

stubborn_d0nkey

Check out the thread in the first post and it'll all be clear.

Basicaly, its a game between the two of us. We play by posting our moves here (adding to the existing line). The with kibitzers part means that other players can come here and post there analysises of the position, what they would play, etc.. something that normally isn't allowed or welcome in games. In the end the decision is of course ours. It can be fun and educational at the same time.

Anyways, back to the game.

I usually play 1...c5, lately I've been flirting with 1... b6 as my first my as black against most openings, however I'm thinking of playing 1...e5 to make the game more interesting :)

I know its just the first move, but I'll think about it a lil more and then post my move later on today ;) 

What do you guys want to see out of the three mentioned moves? 

Mainline_Novelty

So I'd just like to say that on 1...c5, we're going Open Sicilian, on 1...b6, standard 2.d4 stuff, and on 1...e5, we're going Scotch.

stubborn_d0nkey

I guess I'll go for the scotch, I have occasionally played it as white, but very rarely as black (since I dont usually play 1...e5) so it could be educational, and it can be a pretty fun line.

FYI, if we went into the sicillian I would have played 2...e6

so: 1... e5

stubborn_d0nkey

http://www.chess.com/forum/view/fun-with-chess/incredibill-vs-zrylam-with-kibitzers

Daeru

Make this interesting, 2.f4!

stubborn_d0nkey
Daeru wrote:

Make this interesting, 2.f4!

Since the King's gambit has been recently solved (yeah, thats what they're claiming!)  as a draw that sounds boring.

I like the danish, I often play it (or try to play it) in bullet, but I would probably go for the d5! defense (or maybe 3..Qe7 to keep the queens on the board :P). The scotch can be very interesting as well, so I think that it is a good choice. It may not be an immediate tactical skirmish as the danish, however the possibility of such a skirmish is always lurking, waiting to entertain :P

bresando

The king gambit has not been solved, it was an april fool's joke from chessbase :D I wonder for how long people will continue talking about a refutation! 

I think 2.Nf3 is, on average, more interesting (more complex) than 2.f4 or 2.d4, but that's a matter of tastes.

IncrediBill

I wouldn't mind seeing a Danish game unfold.  White trades off some pawns in exchange for a positional advantage.  It should be a fun game for everyone to watch and to comment on.

So my vote is to get radical and play . . . . . . 2.d4

Mainline_Novelty

Hmmmm....despite the high popularity of the Danish, I think I'll probably stick with 2.Nf3 based on what I know, but I'll make the final decision later today

stubborn_d0nkey
bresando wrote:

The king gambit has not been solved, it was an april fool's joke from chessbase :D I wonder for how long people will continue talking about a refutation! 

Yeah, but I find it fun to spread it :D

bresando
stubborn_d0nkey wrote:
bresando wrote:

Yeah, but I find it fun to spread it :D

Laughing Ok, sorry for ruining everything Tongue out 

Mainline_Novelty

It seems the popular choice from the crowd is some sort of gambit, though I prefer the KG to the DG.

2.f4

Daeru

Nice :)

Ben_Dubuque

Go with the BG in the KG, much more known, if Falkbeer, Hienrichen, if Declined, IDK

Daeru

2...d5!

bresando

Yes, but hoping that your opponent will fall for a basic trick is rarely good strategy, expecially if he can read the post where the trick is advertised :P

2...d5 is what keeps me from playing the KG.

Ben_Dubuque

Honestly I would accept, not being to keen on the declined variations too much, plus if white makes an error you should be able to bite him pretty hard

bresando

yes, exf4 would be more in the spirit of the game i guess, since white decided for something exciting to entertain the crowd.

2...Nf6 is interesting in the sense that it's a nice surprise weapon, but objectively leads to a slight edge for white in a dull position, not very interesting to watch...