Forums

My thought process

Sort:
InternationalNovice

Hello Chess.com! I've been on the site for a while, but I'm not sure if I've ever posted on the forums before. I wanted to post a game for analysis, and I'd appreciate some feedback. 

Time controls were 10|0, and my opponent was in the 1280 area, and I was somewhere in the 1220 area. I won the game, but I feel like it was due to luck and  being able to recognize my opponents mistakes, rather than me having the right ideas. What should I have done better? What should my opponent have done better? I've annotated my game almost move by move. Thank you in advance! Also: If I plan on posting more games of mine, should I make a consolidated thread? Or should I make a thread for each game? Thanks again!

utarefson

I don't know what to say. You were very good as for your rank and time control. Your opponent helped you much, but still it was your efford and your plan that made you won this game.

I'd like to give you excercise to develop your chess abilities:

What is evaluation of position after 6. ... Qb6? Who have better chances? What are risk and strong points? How White should try to handle? What should Black do next?

InternationalNovice

@Utarefson Thank you for the exercise! If I had to guess, I'd say 6..Qb6 seems pretty equal. The only threat I'm seeing on black's end is Bf3+? Leaving white unable to castle, but it looks like 7. Nh3 could prevent that, giving white time to develop his dark-squared bishop & queen so that he could castle long. Meanwhile, it looks like black would have to follow up with Be6 in order to maintain equality, otherwise white would be up a pawn after Nxd5. Is my analysis correct?

@Joeydvivre ah, so 6..d4 was better than Be6? For some reason I was seeing a ghost and imagining that d4 would somehow disappear after being played (lol) and the white queen would be able to defend the isolated pawn after 7. Nd5 Nxd5 8. exd5. So... after 6..d4 the knight would either have to move to the very passive e2 square, or b5 square, where I'd probably kick it with a7, trapping it. His other option would be to give an in-between check with 7. Bb5+, where I'd have to block with either my knight or bishop, then he'd swing his knight back to e2, where the bishop would no longer be blocked. I can see now how that position would be good for me. Thank you!

utarefson

First of all I did write that you played very good.

In fact Qb6 aims on O-O (Ng1), and Nh3 is White's only defending f2 square move. White have also Na5 which is counterattacking Black Queen. But let's see 6. e4 Nh3 7. dxe4 fxe4 8. O-O or Nc6. You could developed that way without worries about trade of Queens on d8. Still, you would pressing White in this possition, because it's almost imposible for him to O-O, and if you put Rook on d8 it will be hard to O-O-O for him (also Qb6 pointing on b2).

The point is about "only option" you used in commentary. Be6 is good for you, but it is not "the only option". If you start to think that you can see all the best lines in position then there is no place for improving analysis.

InternationalNovice

Ha! Bxg1 is hilarious! Seems like a crazy move. Also, d4 wasn't even on my radar! Crazy stuff. I'll have to try and remember the ideas behind those types of moves (especially that early attack on the knight, or  just the original 6..d4). Thanks for responding paul and joey! I agree that I got pretty lucky, but I'm glad to know that I can still learn more accurate moves, even in winning positions. I really didn't correctly calculate what would happen to my opponent's knight if I pushed and attacked it. I appreciate all of the replies and analysis of my game & annotations :).

@Utare I was a little bit confused by your second post. You said "But let's see 6. e4 Nh3"

I don't understand, after 6.e4 I don't have a knight that can go to h3, am I missing something?

utarefson

Sorry 6. e4 Qb6 7. Nh3 ... and rest is 7. ... dxe4 8. fxe4 O-O;

Sorry once again. I ate 'Qb6' somehow.

InternationalNovice
utarefson wrote:

Sorry 6. e4 Qb6 7. Nh3 ... and rest is 7. ... dxe4 8. fxe4 O-O;

Sorry once again. I ate 'Qb6' somehow.

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I see what you're saying now.

@Joey- That makes sense. I don't know if I'd be able to take advantage of the...advantage (lol) in the situation after taking the knight. Thanks again!

I'll probably post another game later. I need to analyze my incorrect thinking in closed games that leads to some sort of loss after a usually drawn-out battle. 

P.S. I was incorrect in my analysis towards the end. On 14. c3 my opponent could've played c4 and prolonged the checkmate (if not totally avoided it had I played incorrectly). Even 15 Qe4 could've avoided the mate. I used the chess.com computer analysis to see his other options. 

transpo

@The_UK_Kid,

Your online rating may be 1225 but if you played this game using only your head, your official rating hasn't caught up with your present rating.  Which apparently is pulling away only tail lights visible.

Most players of this rating are blind to check with a simultaneous lateral attack along a rank.  They also forget alot that while pawns cannot move backwards, pieces can and do, to make captures of their piece or pawn, which prior to its execution is invisible to them in their analysis of the position.      

InternationalNovice

@paul & joey, Yes, I definitely appreciate the contributions! Sidenote: I enjoy seeing unconventional moves. Taking the opponent by surpise and utilizing unorthodox ideas is something I hope to build on as I become a stronger player.

@transpo To be fair, I am rated slightly higher in 15|10 (1300 area), but I've been staying away from that time-control because I didn't feel as though I was ready to actually compete at that level. I wanted to use 10|0 as a training grounds so that I'd be able to think faster, and reinforce the ideas I used in order to get to 1300 on 15|10. 

This game (along with with every game I play) was definitely played using only my head, so I appreciate the comment saying that I'm playing above my level. Usually I use the chess.com computer analysis when I'm completely perplexed on why I lost, or where I went wrong, but it looks like the forums (in addition to annotating my games), provide a better learning experience (imo). Thanks again!

InternationalNovice

^Will do!

FeatherRook

You seem to play pretty well for your rating. This really isn't the best game for diagnosing improvements since your opponent didn't play well. Next time you should post a few losses so we can help you improve.

What I like about your game is that you had a plan from the beginning and you stuck with it.

6...Be6 is a good move for you because it develops the piece and keeps the center fluid. It suits a player of a tactical style. 6...Bxg1  7. Rxg1 d4 is better suited for a player who likes to grab some space and play against white's poor knight.