Forums

Open 1.f4 challengers?

Sort:
veteranmate
schlechter55
veteranmate wrote:

I accept and sent a request

You asked me,too, but did not send me a request.

veteranmate
schlechter55 wrote:
veteranmate wrote:

I accept and sent a request

You asked me,too, but did not send me a request.

I did, but u only accept challenges from ppl with ratings greater then 2000, that's why

schlechter55

funny, I challenged you, and it was not possible either, Embarassed.

I will now change the settings.

veteranmate

ok, thank you

veteranmate

any comments?

BirdBrain

Cute!  Not going to analyze, but I do want to ask why you always take back with the c-pawn instead of the e-pawn?  This would be in reference to move 11.

veteranmate
BirdBrain wrote:

Cute!  Not going to analyze, but I do want to ask why you always take back with the c-pawn instead of the e-pawn?  This would be in reference to move 11.

just like to keep the ceter closed off and more of a mess for my opponent

veteranmate

here you go, I took with e and not c pawn... hope u like

BirdBrain

Very nice!  I like your interpretation on the e-pawn vs the c-pawn.  Tim Taylor is the one who recommended taking back with the e-pawn in most instances, and I understand that.  You are getting rid of your backward e-pawn.  

schlechter55

Taking with the e-pawn instead of c-pawn (after c5xd4) is almost always better mainly because you open the diagonal c1-h6 for your bishop. 

The plan of White in the Stonewall is a kings attack, which involves an active use of the f-pawn. That pawn is either going to f5 (which opens up the diagonal c1-h6), or waits on f4 to support an g2-g4-g5.

In both cases, Black might try to have counterplay with e6-e5.

If you have taken with the e-pawn, you can control the e-file with Qe1, or with a rook on e1, which would hinder such Black counterplay.

-----

If Black does NOT take on d4 with his e-pawn, then the white bishop c1 needs some time until he can breath fresh air (sometimes he does a clumsy maneuvre Bc1-d2-e1-h4, in other cases he will be just a protector of the situtation in the center, with b2-b3 and Bb2).

--------

For these reasons, c5xd4 might just accelerate the white attack on the kingside, and would then be called a positional mistake.

-----------

Another active move in a Stonewall structure (c3-d4-e3-f4 vs. c5-d5-e7-f7) is the advance c5-c4. 

Such advance is often a mistake as well, because it releases tension in the center: The white pawn d4 is no longer attacked, so that White can calmly prepare e3-e4, with Nb1-d2. After an e3-e4,  e4-e5 is a threat, and if d5xe4, Nxe4, the white superiority on the kingside is also obvious.   

Ben_L_77

At any rate, here's the game between me and Veteranmate which was cut short....

veteranmate
veteranmate

I apologize        

ben_lozier_5 

for cutting the game short. It could've went either way. I was busy getting things for school ready. Now I'm full-time school and still working my job. It's taking a lot of my time away from everything

veteranmate