Forums

Read This Before You Post

Sort:
zenomorphy

Thank you Martin!! I just learned something new about v3!! That is too cool. 

Much appreciated!

zeno

BaseEgg

How do you annotate games??

GM-Grandmotherlove
Derp-Ssundee wrote:

anyways spamming is kind of not fun! #=cry

[so, please don't spam -- MOD]

So, hows spamming that phone u took of ssundee, lol.

abvegeto

well i just posted a game in the game analysis room...ut seems there is some problem with it in the sense no one able to see it or something. 

srikanth689

anaxagoras wrote:

Welcome to the Game Analysis forum

The purpose of this forum is improvement at chess!  We can all improve at chess when we share meaningful questions and examples from our past losses, draws, and a few of our wins.  In order to get the most out of posting your game at the analysis forum, follow these guidelines:

1.  Annotate your game yourself before you post!  By annotate we mean the addition of your thoughts, commentary, and possible variations.  In order to receive accurate feedback, we must know what you were thinking as you played the game, and what you think of it now.  It often happens that a right move was made for the wrong reason: knowing your thought process is the only way to bring this to light!

2.  Post a lot games that you lost, a few that were draws, and on occasion those that you won.  While it is more fun to gloat over our wins than suffer under our losses, we learn the most when we review our losses.  If you really want to post a game where you crushed your opponent, consider the game showcase forum.

3.  Don't look at a chess engine for analysis until after you have analyzed the game with others at chess.com; the same goes for those reviewing.  If you are adding analysis found with the aid of a chess engine, make it known.

4.  In addition to your thoughts, commentary, and possible variations, here are some of the most common symbols for annotating a chess game:

!!    An extremely strong move, often game winning.

!     A great move

!?    A speculative move, possibly strong but more analysis is needed.

?!    A dubious move, prossibly weak but more analysis is needed. 

?     A bad move

??    A blunder, equivalent to hanging a piece.

+-   White is winning.

+/- White has a significant edge.

+/= White has a small edge.

=     Equality.

=/+  Black has a small edge.

-/+  Black has a significant edge.

-+    Black is winning.

5.  Never post a game or a position from a game that is ongoing.  Asking for help with ongoing games is unsportsmanlike and unethical.  Need we say more?

right

HalfSicilin

Is using the Quick Analysis on chess.com considered running your game through a chess engine ? Also, the tool will say Mistake +2 or similar, can someone explain the scoring?

Martin_Stahl
iusegambits wrote:

Is using the Quick Analysis on chess.com considered running your game through a chess engine ? Also, the tool will say Mistake +2 or similar, can someone explain the scoring?

Yes, all the post-game Analysis options are running your games through an engine, other than Self-Analysis and that will start an engine by default but you you need to work through the game if you wan to use that.

For your other question: https://support.chess.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1444875-what-do-the-computer-evaluation-numbers-mean-like-2-25-

HalfSicilin

Tony,

Here's what I'd do:

Pawn jumps Queen

Bishop jumps Queen

Knight jumps Queen

Everybody jumps Queen

GANG BANG !

varmaips
[COMMENT DELETED]
PICKYOURPOCKET
iusegambits wrote:

Tony,

Here's what I'd do:

Pawn jumps Queen

Bishop jumps Queen

Knight jumps Queen

Everybody jumps Queen

GANG BANG !

uh, maybe this is too much info but, man that queen sounds a lot like my mom.

robertjames_perez
anaxagoras wrote:

Welcome to the Game Analysis forum

The purpose of this forum is improvement at chess!  We can all improve at chess when we share meaningful questions and examples from our past losses, draws, and a few of our wins.  In order to get the most out of posting your game at the analysis forum, follow these guidelines:

1.  Annotate your game yourself before you post!  By annotate we mean the addition of your thoughts, commentary, and possible variations.  In order to receive accurate feedback, we must know what you were thinking as you played the game, and what you think of it now.  It often happens that a right move was made for the wrong reason: knowing your thought process is the only way to bring this to light!

2.  Post a lot games that you lost, a few that were draws, and on occasion those that you won.  While it is more fun to gloat over our wins than suffer under our losses, we learn the most when we review our losses.  If you really want to post a game where you crushed your opponent, consider the game showcase forum.

3.  Don't look at a chess engine for analysis until after you have analyzed the game with others at chess.com; the same goes for those reviewing.  If you are adding analysis found with the aid of a chess engine, make it known.

4.  In addition to your thoughts, commentary, and possible variations, here are some of the most common symbols for annotating a chess game:

!!    An extremely strong move, often game winning.

!     A great move

!?    A speculative move, possibly strong but more analysis is needed.

?!    A dubious move, prossibly weak but more analysis is needed. 

?     A bad move

??    A blunder, equivalent to hanging a piece.

+-   White is winning.

+/- White has a significant edge.

+/= White has a small edge.

=     Equality.

=/+  Black has a small edge.

-/+  Black has a significant edge.

-+    Black is winning.

5.  Never post a game or a position from a game that is ongoing.  Asking for help with ongoing games is unsportsmanlike and unethical.  Need we say more?

!!-Brilliant Move-often game-winning or game-saving, for example, a not-obvious queen sacrifice that leads to a draw in a seemingly losing position.  

!-Good Move-a strong move

!?-Interesting Move-possibly good or bad, though it needs more analysis and more accurate evaluation, for example, a sacrifice that leads to unclear play, though it may be risky at some point, like Tal's sacrifices.

?!-Dubious Move/Slightly Inaccurate Move-a move of doubtful value-but needs analysis, or sometimes marked because the move may be slightly inaccurate, for example, a sacrifice that seems to be risky and appears to be doubtful if it is enough.

?-Bad/Weak Move-a/n (clearly) inaccurate and weak move, for example, a positionally bankrupt move.

??-Blunder-an extremely inaccurate move either tactically, strategically, positionally, or all.

+- Decisive advantage for white

+/- White is better or has a large advantage

+/=White is slightly better

= Equal

=/+Black is slightly better

-/+Black is better or has a large advantage

-+Black has a decisive advantage.

I don't like chess engines so much because they sometimes make mistakes in evaluation (like when analyzing a line where clearly black has enough for the queen but Fritz 13 analyzes and evaluates it as winning or better for white). Also, they are weak strategically but very strong tactically and positionally. They are also weak in closed positions ( Example: I had read a book about chess. When I reached the page with a position that the author says even Stockfish cannot see the correct plan, I tried to set it up on my Droidfish, and it cannot see the plan! ).

Don't use strategical and positional interchangeably. Strategical is for the long-term but positional is for the short-term (That's why it is positional because it is for the position!)

XRAYOFHOPE

very nice advice

XRAYOFHOPE

should we post our games in this forum?

XRAYOFHOPE

should we post games in this forum

dave_westwood

aditiarya125 wrote:

should we post games in this forum

yes

superchessmachine

DYKDW

ampmsp
Great information I learned a lot from you.
dave_westwood

ampmsp wrote:

Great information I learned a lot from you.

bump

TitanChess666
?
PlaidChameleon

Dear Anaxagoras-

I think the sun is a hot rock too!

I'm in my 60s and I have only played one good game of chess in my life. It was in 1974 when I was 17 in a simultaneous against Grandmaster Bent Larsen. I had white and I won in 29 moves with a double queen sacrifice (I sacrificed the one I had, queened a pawn and sacrificed that), forcing a king hunt win with bishops and rooks. Over the years I've played and replayed the game and I think the winning 12 move combination is sound, but I don't know for sure, because the position is unbelievably complicated. I don't use a chess program and I was wondering if any of you gentlemen could tell me if it is sound. I know that Chess.com has an analysis post, but I haven't been able to figure out how too use it. Here it is:

1. e4 c5
  2. d4 cd
  3. c3 dc
  4. Nxc3 Nc6
  5. Nf3 e6
  6. Bc4 a6
  7. 0-0 Qc7
  8. Qe2 Bd6
  9. Rd1 N8e7
  10. a4 Ng6
  11. Be3 Nge5
  12. Nxe5 Bxe5