Requesting Suggestions from a Stronger Player

DeepBlack007
Here is a game that I played recently. I thought I made fewer mistakes and tactical oversights than I usually do, I just tried not to be casual and to really think about the moves I make. And looks like it worked. However, after I played through it again, it seemed to me that I failed to maintain my advantage out of the opening and got somewhat lucky. I really like the fact that I found the idea 29. f6, but I am not sure about what I would have done if he/she played 29. ...Qh5. I hereby request a stronger player to kindly take a look at my game and give me some advice as to how I could have improved my game.

Thanks in advance.

 

Rat1960

Philidor exchange variation C41
I have seen a couple of games recently with 4. ... h6 In both cases they played 5. Bc4

10. b4 I am not a complete fan, it is a tad early and encourages ... Ne6
I want to play Be3 but know that is slapped with ... Ng4
When not sure, I go auto-pilot and put a rook on the half-open file (Rd1)

12. f4, same thoughts, move a rook.
You would think at 16. ... black would play ... Rc8 and not ... Qa5 which leaves Be7 hanging.

17. h3 having gone gung-ho with f4, what is wrong with f5 and Nd5 which looks mighty sexy on f6 and hitting the h6 issue created on move 4. ...
19. Nb5, well yes but in the last three moves you have gone from a serious k-side attack to putting pressure on solid centre pawns.
I can see from the game length you turn it around again however.
21. ... Bf6
Attacking twice implying 22. Ne2
I think black is winning now.
22. BxBd4+ hmmm, ... Be5 to remind white about black square weaknesses.


26. ... exf5??
27. Nd5! Qg5? (clown, Qe5 down but not out)
28. ... Kh8, now he sees Ne7+ fork.
29. f6! and that is mating.

29. ... Qh5 30. fxg7+ Kxg7 31. Re1 Rde8 32. Rg4+ ( Qc3+ covers the rook btw)  Kh8 33.  Re7 RxR 34. NxR which either mates or wins the rook I think.

Rat1960

However, after I played through it again, it seemed to me that I failed to maintain my advantage out of the opening and got somewhat lucky. I really like the fact that I found the idea 29. f6,
Exactly. You went wrong at 17.  Then black started sliding when he had the advantage, blundered it back (good players get lucky). then you were back on plan ten moves later and won rather well.
It was a pleasure to play through the game.
Thank you for posting it.

TS_theWoodiest

15.Bxg4? I think the question mark is deserved here. You should always have a good reason for trading. When you trade, your piece disappears while your opponent's is replaced by another piece. 

 

15.Bc1 and now the black knight on g4 looks more like a jester.

 

Look at a possible continuation 15.Bc1 Bd7 16.h3 Nf6 17.e5 dxe5 18.fxe5 Nh7 and look at that gorgeous position for white.

Rat1960

Yes I see I was edit updating as you posted.
15.Bc1 Bd7 16.h3 Nf6 17.e5 dxe5 18.fxe5 and Ne8 not Nh7 but it is looking strong.

TS_theWoodiest
Rat1960 wrote:

@TS_theWoodiest 15. Bc1 Nf6 16. Be3 Ng4 17. Bc1

 16.e5 Ne8 17.Be3

 just caught your edit. Yeah e5 is a real killer in that position. If there wasnt a punishment for wasting a tempo with Nf6-g4-f6 I would quit chess forever LOL.

Rat1960

Yes your first line is good. God knows where my edit post repeat moves has gone now.
15.Bc1 Bd7 16.h3 Nf6 17.e5 dxe5 18.fxe5 and Ne8 not Nh7 but it is looking strong.

Rat1960

Opps. Can't go to Ne8 coz of two knights hitting e7

TS_theWoodiest

With 18...Ne8 19.Bh5 and the black queen cant go to e8 to defend f7. The threat is simply 20.Bxf7+ Rxf7 21.Rxf7 Kxf7 22.Qh7.

 

That's why I chose 18...Nh7 over 18...Ne8.

 

Also it's why I only commented on one position lol because there was a opportunity for very deep calculation, so I used it as an exercise.

Rat1960
TS_theWoodiest wrote:

15.Bxg4? I think the question mark is deserved here. You should always have a good reason for trading. When you trade, your piece disappears while your opponent's is replaced by another piece. 

 

15.Bc1 and now the black knight on g4 looks more like a jester.

 

Look at a possible continuation 15.Bc1 Bd7 16.h3 Nf6 17.e5 dxe5 18.fxe5 Nh7 and look at that gorgeous position for white.

This is right, black has to cover the queen with 15. ... Bd7 and has to go to ... Nh7
Sorry I got that all wrong.

TS_theWoodiest

It's ok. The position is pretty tricky. I spent about 40 minutes looking at just the possibilities after 14...Ng4 which included 15.Nf5 and 15.Nd5 along with 15.Bc1.

 

When I saw the move it just immediately didn't seem right to trade the lsb for the knight.

addyridz

is g1 to f2 a legal move

null

m_n0

no

DeepBlack007
TS_theWoodiest wrote:

It's ok. The position is pretty tricky. I spent about 40 minutes looking at just the possibilities after 14...Ng4 which included 15.Nf5 and 15.Nd5 along with 15.Bc1.

 

When I saw the move it just immediately didn't seem right to trade the bishop for the knight.


I didn't like the look of 15. Nf5 as it encourages white to take my knight and double my pawns on the f-file. I rejected 15. Nd5 because I didn't want to give up my dark squared bishop. However, I gotta admit that I didn't even realize that 15. Bc1 was an option. Maybe because it was a retreat move, maybe for some other reason, it just didn't pop into my head, to be honest.

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

DeepBlack007
Rat1960 wrote:

Philidor exchange variation C41
I have seen a couple of games recently with 4. ... h6 In both cases they played 5. Bc4

10. b4 I am not a complete fan, it is a tad early and encourages ... Ne6
I want to play Be3 but know that is slapped with ... Ng4
When not sure, I go auto-pilot and put a rook on the half-open file (Rd1)

12. f4, same thoughts, move a rook.
You would think at 16. ... black would play ... Rc8 and not ... Qa5 which leaves Be7 hanging.

17. h3 having gone gung-ho with f4, what is wrong with f5 and Nd5 which looks mighty sexy on f6 and hitting the h6 issue created on move 4. ...
19. Nb5, well yes but in the last three moves you have gone from a serious k-side attack to putting pressure on solid center pawns.
I can see from the game length you turn it around again however.
21. ... Bf6
Attacking twice implying 22. Ne2
I think black is winning now.
22. BxBd4+ hmmm, ... Be5 to remind white about black square weaknesses.


26. ... exf5??
27. Nd5! Qg5? (clown, Qe5 down but not out)
28. ... Kh8, now he sees Ne7+ fork.
29. f6! and that is mating.

29. ... Qh5 30. fxg7+ Kxg7 31. Re1 Rde8 32. Rg4+ ( Qc3+ covers the rook btw)  Kh8 33.  Re7 RxR 34. NxR which either mates or wins the rook I think.


Actually, I didn't see a good way to continue my attacking plan after 18. ...fxe6.
Maybe I need to get more experienced and skilled in maintaining positional advantages. I really liked my super-dominant position, having played f4 and h4 gaining a clear space advantage. Although I failed to convert it.

Rat1960

@DeepBlack007 Exactly after 18. ... fxe6 you are kind of playing for scrapes of which 19. Nb5 is the best. So you can go backwards on the game moves. That gets you to 17. 
I am saying 17. h3? when it should have been 17. f5! and 18. Nd5 (ie what you got around to on 20. and 27. respectively)
or if you go forwards from 14. Rad1 ! that is 15. Be2xNg4?
TS_theWoodiest has rightly pointed out that 
"15.Bc1 Bd7 16.h3 Nf6 17.e5 dxe5 18.fxe5 Nh7 and look at that gorgeous position for white."
I remain stunned that un-developing a piece rather than taking out an invader is the way to go but the variation shows it is right.
I think you have to be an IM+ to see that move 15.  Bc1 myself.

TS_theWoodiest
DeepBlack007 wrote:
TS_theWoodiest wrote:

It's ok. The position is pretty tricky. I spent about 40 minutes looking at just the possibilities after 14...Ng4 which included 15.Nf5 and 15.Nd5 along with 15.Bc1.

 

When I saw the move it just immediately didn't seem right to trade the bishop for the knight.


I didn't like the look of 15. Nf5 as it encourages white to take my knight and double my pawns on the f-file. I rejected 15. Nd5 because I didn't want to give up my dark squared bishop. However, I gotta admit that I didn't even realize that 15. Bc1 was an option. Maybe because it was a retreat move, maybe for some other reason, it just didn't pop into my head, to be honest.

Thanks a lot for your feedback!

 

15.Nf5 Bxf5 16.Bxc5 is the move. 16.exf5?? would be a terrible blunder. 

 

Of course black would probably play 15...Nxe3 16.Nxe3 and this is what I was looking at.

 

Long story short is that it looks nice but black gets counterplay from your weak c and e pawns and you can't use the light square control for any kind of attack.

 

In a game I wouldn't look at it as long as I did here, 15.Bc1 is much simpler and simply much better.

TS_theWoodiest
Rat1960 wrote:

@DeepBlack007 Exactly after 18. ... fxe6 you are kind of playing for scrapes of which 19. Nb5 is the best. So you can go backwards on the game moves. That gets you to 17. 
I am saying 17. h3? when it should have been 17. f5! and 18. Nd5 (ie what you got around to on 20. and 27. respectively)
or if you go forwards from 14. Rad1 ! that is 15. Be2xNg4?
TS_theWoodiest has rightly pointed out that 
"15.Bc1 Bd7 16.h3 Nf6 17.e5 dxe5 18.fxe5 Nh7 and look at that gorgeous position for white."
I remain stunned that un-developing a piece rather than taking out an invader is the way to go but the variation shows it is right.
I think you have to be an IM+ to see that move 15.  Bc1 myself.

 

Maybe IM plus for that specific idea LOL. I've seen it before in similar positions you can reach from the Sicilian Najdorf and is 15.Bc1 really undeveloping? The c1-h6 diagonal seems to me to be the best one for the bishop and if that's the case what is the bishop gaining being on e3? Also, black wasted a move with ...Ng4 so we should be ok with using one for Bc1 since the knight's only target was the e3 square

Rat1960
1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 a6 6. Be3 Ng4 7. Bc1 Nf6 8. Be3 Ng4  
In the English Attack and 9. Bc1 is actually often played.