RM vs Palatine 2019 Board 2

beecca121220

Hello! This was the first match of our chess season! I played the Caro-Kann on board 2 and had a little trouble deciding what to do in the opening because I was unfamiliar with this line. Any analysis is appreciated! happy.png

HorsesGalore

how about Black playing  9........h6 ?   Don't let White get away with his wasted moves.    Then if 10 Bh4, g5   11 Bg3 and his B looks like a pawn.    White could try 12 h4 and Black should just maintain that "g" pawn with ...Rg8.

As the game goes, when you "put the question to the Bishop" with ......h6, White left it there !    The rest of the game is a matter of style on how you win ( my opinion ).

Be prepared for much tougher competition on Board 2. 

Ballernate22

Nice game Becca! 

Yes, I definitely think it was the right move to take space on the board. This gave John, our 2nd board, a cramped position that is quite unpleasant to play with.

also you don’t have to worry about defending the e-pawn in your opening until he castles, cuz if he takes e5 you have Qa5+ and Qxe5 winning a piece.

instead of trading a queen for a rook on move 21 (not a bad move), you could have just played Qg4 and play to advance the h-pawn, cuz you are basically up a queen at this point

Overall, solid game! Not taking too many risks has benefits too lol (you don’t make as many mistakes playing safer)! But, as @HorsesGalore says, you should definitely look to use the tempo you gained from white’s wasted moves.

good luck this season!

nikos8109

Nice game!! 

May I point sthg out which is irrelevant with the way you treated the game? You said at the last move that White resigned because of having only 2 mins on the clock. To me, white should have resigned much earlier. If you look at the final position,it is just a matter of style how you like to checkmate him. If he had more time would he still be playing it?... 

jphillips

Great game!  You definitely played the opening well.  Pushing the pawn to d4 in that case is the right thing to do.  

iforkyou
nikos8109 wrote:

Nice game!! 

May I point sthg out which is irrelevant with the way you treated the game? You said at the last move that White resigned because of having only 2 mins on the clock. To me, white should have resigned much earlier. If you look at the final position,it is just a matter of style how you like to checkmate him. If he had more time would he still be playing it?... 

crazy things happen sometimes in high school chess.  I think the player resigned b/c it wasn't possible to win...maybe time factored in?  It was a long game and Becca played it well.

nikos8109

Becca played it very well!! No argue on that. It is just her opponent should have resigned earlier. Of course there was no possibility for a win for him

jphillips

The coach actually told his students before the match that they were not allowed to resign.

HorsesGalore

"The coach actually told his students before the match that they were not allowed to resign."     Too rigid.   Coach should have ongoing discussions on that and other aspects of chess with his / her players. 

Chess is not like baseball -- where as long as you do not make a 3rd out, you have a chance to win.    However, I would never resign if I was just down some material.    As long as you have counterchances, being down a few pawns or even a knight or bishop should not cause one to give up.

And the player that is materially ahead should never think it's very easy to win their game and not have to think.    That's the time you can get in trouble by overlooking your opponent's threats !    As long as he / she has not given up, they are plotting against you !    don't ever forget that !

Check out this game between 2 GMs.    Sammy Reshevsky, a World Class GM for many years, overlooked a Stalemate   http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1252040

Larry Evans was very proud of the above game.   His account of the game -- when he reached across to the opposite side of the Board for his Queen to sack, Sammy thought he was extending his hand to resign !    Reshevsky turned red, when he realized what was happening !

jphillips

Definitely rigid, but the logic is there.  Too often people resign prematurely, and at the high school level, I've seen things do a complete 180 many times.  

HorsesGalore

A shame many people never heard of Sammy Reshevsky, a former US Champion and the only person to hold Bobby Fischer to a Drawn match in 11 games !    Time limit of 40 moves in 2 1/2 hours followed by adjournment.   

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess.pl?tid=80180