Forums

The world hardest puzzle

Sort:
Shibek

anymore comments?

chesswiz625 wrote:
Shibek wrote:

The queens can only move DIAGONALLY and ONE square at a time.

This is the hardest puzzle!!

Just move Qg7!<-----ANSWER:D

If I look at your first rule, it says the queens can only move DIAGONALLY. The queen move you just made is illegal based on your rules. Additionally, there is absolutely no way of forcing black into that position. 

If you turn the board around it's diagonal!

Shibek

... you dont know the rules of the puzzle

Shibek

help! i cannot see the board above F5 does not work HELP!

Shibek

so answer????

Shibek

i think i put the peces in the wrong place?!

blobweird123

How does Ka2 help? Couldn't black then just play Kc4 and from there white has to either take queen or defend his own queen. Taking means they both lose queens which is stalemate and defending queen is also getting nowhere.

Shibek

i think not

Shibek

omg three years later...

Goffydog
Checkmate = impossible
introuble2

take a look

https://www.chess.com/blog/introuble2/abu-bakr-bin-yahya-al-suli-and-his-diamond-mansuba

CheckmatesStealer

this is actually pretty easy

Awnser:

1. Qb2, qxb2 2. Kxb2++ since in the game of Shatranj the person delivering stalemate wins white wins because he is delivering stalemate

veronique8

If it was that easy it wouldn't of taken over a thousand years to be solved lol.

The moves you said Tertlon ends in a draw.  It is not stalemate.  Here is link to the rules, and you will see this rule ...

Bare King counts as a win, provided that your King cannot be bared on the very next move. 

https://www.chessvariants.com/historic.dir/shatranj.html

Chessflyfisher

Dumb.

SVUDrBell
chesswiz625 wrote:

With the new detail of it being possible to win with white by capturing black's queen, the puzzle (although impressively difficult) is now possible to solve.

Very difficult. If you capture the queen, without losing your own immediately afterward, you win. The problem with 1. Ka2 is that after 1. ... Kc4, you won't be able to kill the black queen and save your queen (or minister or fers if you prefer).

SVUDrBell

Averbakh finally solved this in the 80's.

SVUDrBell
Tertlon wrote:

this is actually pretty easy

Awnser:

1. Qb2, qxb2 2. Kxb2++ since in the game of Shatranj the person delivering stalemate wins white wins because he is delivering stalemate

Stalemate isn't the same as a draw. Stalemate specifically refers to one player who, on their turn, has no legal move. If the other player puts you in such a position, it used to be considered a win for them. Now it is a draw (too bad for Yu Yangyi in the recent rapid world championships!)

I repeat: "stalemate" isn't the same as "draw." It's just one way to do it.