Forums

Was this a good sacrifice?

Sort:
Cazaam

So give me some good feedback, was my Bxh2 sacrifice a good sacrifice or was it just my opponent playing poorly? My ideas were to get my queen into play with tempo and moving my knight to g4 putting more pressure on White's king.

Yeah, I know my rating is bad but I'm trying to find good aggressive ideas.
rooperi

I think white can probably escape, but it's fun to try stuff if neither player can calculate the complications. In other words, Carlsen maight not play Bxh2, but it's probably ok totry in blitz.

But, I'm pretty sure your follow up move Qd6 was far worse than Ng4+. White is probably totally  winning after ...Qd6,  soyes, your opponentdid play badly

TurboFish

10...Bxh2+ looks good, but you should have followed up with 11.Kxh2 Ng4+, intending ...Qh4 with a winning attack: 12.Kg1 Qh4 (12.Kh1?? Qh4+ 13.Kg1 Qh2#) 13.Re1 Qxf2+ 14.Kh1 Qh4+ 15.Kg1 Qh2+ 16.Kf1 Qh1+ Ke2 17.Qxg2#.  This general scenario is known as the "Classic Bishop Sacrifice" (aka "Greek Gift").  Whites best response to 11...Ng4+ is the counter-intuitive 12.Kg3, but then 12...Qg5 is very strong.

Cazaam
rooperi wrote:

I think white can probably escape, but it's fun to try stuff if neither player can calculate the complications. In other words, Carlsen maight not play Bxh2, but it's probably ok totry in blitz.

But, I'm pretty sure your follow up move Qd6 was far worse than Ng4+. White is probably totally  winning after ...Qd6,  soyes, your opponentdid play badly

So what could White play after ...Qd6 that could give him a winning position like you said?

I'm just curious, I want to get better at forcing my opponents into bad situations.

rooperi

after 11...Qd6 12 g3 I think Black has nothing

blueemu

11. ... Qd6+ 12. f4 Ng4+ 13. Kg3 ...

Now what? Black can't play 13. ... Qg6 because of the White Bishop on d3, and 13. ... Qh6 14. Rh1 seems to accomplish nothing.

Cazaam
rooperi wrote:

after 11...Qd6 12 g3 I think Black has nothing

Now I realised...

sycophantastic

I really like your style!  Well played!

elonater

No, it was unsound. 12.g3 Ng4 13.Kg2 and now ...Qh6 is met by Rh1. If you had played 11...Ng4 check white is ok after 12.Kg3. These are well known defensive techniques against the classic bishop sac. you should play 10...Re8 and ...c6 as the threat is stronger than the execution... just let white stew and worry about it until he makes a concession.