Forums

We need more amateurs to post their annotated games.

Sort:
TonyH

OK reasonable question. The pawn on e5 is a major space gaining , bone in the throat problem for black. it has to be dealt with in some respect. ...d5 removes the tension from the pawn and leaves the position cramped for Black. It also causes major issues for the Black light squared bishop and its development and future as a useful piece. Did I do a computer check everything nope but my gut is telling me and experience with years of playing the french that releasing tension on the center gives white a free hand to develop and leaves me with a bishop that is just a shadow piece. I have lost enough endgames as black in similar structures to have just this sick feeling in my stomach when I see the bishop get locked in with no real way to generate counterplay for black.  So yes I say that the move ...d5 is bad for strategical reasons in this specific case. 

Yereslov
TonyH wrote:

OK reasonable question. The pawn on e5 is a major space gaining , bone in the throat problem for black. it has to be dealt with in some respect. ...d5 removes the tension from the pawn and leaves the position cramped for Black. It also causes major issues for the Black light squared bishop and its development and future as a useful piece. Did I do a computer check everything nope but my gut is telling me and experience with years of playing the french that releasing tension on the center gives white a free hand to develop and leaves me with a bishop that is just a shadow piece. I have lost enough endgames as black in similar structures to have just this sick feeling in my stomach when I see the bishop get locked in with no real way to generate counterplay for black.  So yes I say that the move ...d5 is bad for strategical reasons in this specific case. 

That pawn is not going to do much damage. You might as well attack the bishop.

Keep pressure on the pawn at the cost of making black waste a move seems like a huge sacrifice.

StrategicusRex

Yereslov (heads up, the board's glitched; won't load), I didn't play 14...f4 because it hangs a pawn after 15. Nxe4, dxe4 - 16. Bxe4, and it leaves my e6 pawn extremely weak after White plays exf4.

Yereslov
theweaponking wrote:

Yereslov (heads up, the board's glitched; won't load), I didn't play 14...f4 because it hangs a pawn after 15. Nxe4, dxe4 - 16. Bxe4, and it leaves my e6 pawn extremely weak after White plays exf4.

The move I played can't be captured by a knight. 

TonyH

Black has to maintain tension on the white e5 pawn or risk drifting into a really passive position. but I am almost sure that ...d5 isnt going to favor black in the long run. what pawn breaks is he left with to activate the rooks? What does that bishop on c8 do with pawns on light squares?   MY style of teaching is to highlight the strengths of a move unless its an outright blunder. focus on the positive recognize the weaknesses.

Bc4 develops, it attacks/pressures a pawn, over all a good move on principle and not refutable tactically and no tactical oversights were made by playing it so,.. .good move. 

StrategicusRex

F4 can't be captured by a knight, but e4 hangs afterwards.  The knight on d2 takes the Ne4, and then the Bd3 picks up a clean pawn after the recapture.

Yereslov

You could have pushed the pawn.

Yereslov
theweaponking wrote:

F4 can't be captured by a knight, but e4 hangs afterwards.  The knight on d2 takes the Ne4, and then the Bd3 picks up a clean pawn after the recapture.

I will check the position later. 

Thomas_Vandeputte
Yereslov
Thomas_Vandeputte wrote:

That's a very nice combination.

Vertwitch

I went  for my second 15 minute 10 sec regaining game!

The game had an "unexpected result". 

Yesterday I started watching videos in thechesswebsite.com about pawns, openings, traps, and whatnot, and after watching the pawn videos I ended up in the black diemer gambit. after that i watched like 8 videos on youtube about the opening and today in the morning I started to write down every opening I played as white in like 30 games from my game archives. Most of the games where B's and C's. Lots of Kings gambits, some French defenses, few Sicilians, and many Scandiavians, and Pircs. 

So while I was watching the videos and checking my openings I realized that one can have 3 transpositions in 3 moves, if you go 1. e4 d5 (Scandinavian) you can transpose into a Black Diemer playing d4 and you get the same position, and if the player played d6 then youre in the French! First time I realized that, so of course I wanted to try this. 

I played a 15 minute game and here it is!  It started as Scandinavian, an opening I used to play so I kinda know it but now I transposed into the BlackDiemer Gambit to see what happens and to take my partner out of his mental idea. If he goes French after that,that would make me laugh for sure. My original intention was to play the Kings Gambit in this game in order to have fair attacking chances. 

Thomas_Vandeputte
[COMMENT DELETED]
Thomas_Vandeputte

@ eaglejorge
Luckily your opponent missed 9.. Nxc2+ forking king and rook. At move 16, you could have played Bb8, hoping he would capture (you have a mate in two with Rd8+, Ka7, Ra8#). You also could have tried Nb5 with the plan of Nxb6+ in the next move. Pawn takes knight is the only move, and you recapture with bishop. Due to the bad development of black's pieces, the mate with Rd8 would be extremely difficult to stop. So I think it was better to keer the initiative, instead of bringing your king to safety. He was actually pretty safe at e2. But anyways, your attack was nicely coordinated, which ended up in a pretty cool mate. Good game!

TonyH

@ eaglejorge its great that your starting to work on gambits. The BDG is a theoretically questionable opening BUT... for now I can recommend it to you because you will learn a lot about attacking chess. THe ideas and concepts will translate to other main lines in the queens gambit once you decide to switch.  
It will teach you a lot about development and typical patterns of attack.  

My recommendation is to get a database of like 100 game where white wins in 20 moves and go through them at a nice clip (about 2-3 seconds a move) learn about typical mistakes and ideas. then pick some 50 games where white loses in 20 moves and see what to watch out for. 

Your game had a nice ending and your starting to use ideas so its a plus but your game is still sporatic but i can see glimses of some nice chess :)

gambiteer12

An interesting 30min game. 

Ben_Dubuque

this is my first post in a while. I think the coolest position was when I had a knight on d5 and the other on f5

Gump647

Well, this was a 15 minute game I played. I got lucky, but scraped myself out of a hole. Feedback is appreciated. 

Thomas_Vandeputte

@ Gump647

37 .. Kf3 was instantly winning, but still well played out, good game!

Gump647
Thomas_Vandeputte wrote:

@ Gump647

37 .. Kf3 was instantly winning, but still well played out, good game!

Yeah, I see what you mean. I don't know why, but when I played that game, I was fiercely determined to save that one particular pawn... haha.

Ben_Dubuque

how bout my game