Forums

We need more amateurs to post their annotated games.

Sort:
learnateverygame
vengence69 wrote:
Irfox wrote:

I'm getting worse and worse, can someone give me tips to improve?

Look closely at you positions once you leave the opening. White had a good position in What turned out to be a tricky opening (Nimzo-Indian Defense: Moller AttackVariation). This is very sharp line and you played it well up to move 12. Once the Queen retreated to e7, you needed to look for weak sqaures and pieces. How could you defend the h6 pawn on White playing 13. Qe2 here? The threat was 14. Qxh6 so only the King can protect here, given White has a light Bishop, defending on h7 is bad so Why not move to g7? This protects the hanging h pawn and gives you a solid defensive position to play from. From Qxh6 on, Black has no real initiative to speak on and so loses very fast here.

i also think that though moves 10 and 11 were playable for you, you needed to develop your final pieces and get you Rooks connected. 10. ... a6 did not substantially help the position while 11. ... g6? seems to be a mistake unless you thought having pawns on the light squares helps interfere with the Bishop and Queen. ANY TIME A PAWN MOVES FORWARD, IT CREATES A HOLE BEHIND IT THAT OTHER PIECES MUST GUARD AND COVER!!!!Unless you are sorming an attack or getting ready  to develop a Bishop or major piece, focus on making as few pawn moves as possible, especially around your castled position. Playing g6 weakened your ability to control the dark squares as evidenced by the capture at h6 and f8 here.

I would say you played really well the first 9 moves, a bit inaccurate the next 2, and the 12 move was a mistake that forced you to be on the defense. Kg7 would have given you a nice position and a way to attack the center.

Again, alway look at the board closely, especially once you retreat or a piece moves to a new open diagonal, file or rank.

Good playing

looks like vengence knows more opening than I do lol :D

If you ask me before this game shows up what nimzo indian is, I will say "No idea !"

I am more playing with the feel of the board, so even though I didn't know opening's much, I can "somewhat" understand what the board will look like. 

Well what you need, is to keep playing, identify your mistakes, brush it off, and play ! Choose your fav opening / def, and study it ! Most people (like me) don't know much about it until they get zapped by it :D

Bill_C

@LAEG

Some of the reasons I can pick up some of the openings is I see many of these in Blitz/Coffeehouse games OTB. For example, getting away from the first 3 moves if Black plays 1. ... e6 to 1. d4, there are four lines this can go into and a fifth that does not happen often. Those are the Orthodox QGD, the Tarrasch Defense in the QGD, the Grunfeld Defense, and the Nimzo-Indian Defense. Other games that can come from this later are the Dutch Defense, King's Indian and any type of Hedgehog formation, including the Pirc or Modern Defense. These are just some of the openings. The problem is that a lot of openings that come about, really solidify after about the 5th to 7th moves. I do not study alot of opening theory as i smply don't have the time. Instead, I try to get a feel for which openings I play best and then get an idea of why the pieces move to where they do and then make mental notes of certain lines I need to watch out for and which are just plain bad for me.

@Irfox: I would suggest the Yasser Serawain book, "winning chess openings" as a good study guide as it is written at a beginning level and once you find an opening in there that fits your playing style, seek out some beginning level books on that opening and read through them with a board beside you. Read through the books 3 times. The first time, just go as fast as possible through the material making the moves to see the opening in action. The second time, go slower and look at what it says for why things are happening the way they are, noting the different traps you can set or avoid and the tactics involved with them. The final time, go over the book meticulously and try to find the other sides moves in the position before they are made. This method of reading information is taught to college students in speed reading courses and helps also to retain larger amounts of information. Expect lots of losses at first but once you begin to grasp the concepts of the opening, you will see your play improve.

Finally, I can offer you some ideas on openings you might like to play by looking over your games and seeing how you play. Feel free to send me a message antime with links to games or questions and I will try to help you out with them.

V

Irfox

The thing is, with move G6 I tried to prevent him attacking my queen with pawn to e5 and then moving onwards from there. However he just took my b6 square.

I searched in our library for the book you mentioned (you can search it on their website), but it isn't there. Aside from that I am very bad at noticing checkmates other than the common ones, I have no idea how to continue if I have a king under pressure and I lack any real openings. I just go with 'Protect the center, try to develop your pieces' 

Too bad that school is beginning and I don't have so much time, meh. I'm young and still have a lot of time left to dedicate hobby, but I don't see any real improvements. I suck at making long term strategies and don't know how to deal with obstacles that get in my way.

Thanks for your analysis, didn't know there was much to write about such a short game :P

learnateverygame
Irfox wrote:

so... you're still at school eh ? Good old days lol

when I first started, I had the same problem, but I just keep playing and playing, learn tactics and read books, play stronger players, and you actually got better !

For people that are still in school, use that time to study chess, it will bear its fruits later. As they say, you can't run before you learn how to stand up.

PortlandPatzer
learnateverygame wrote:
Irfox wrote:

so... you're still at school eh ? Good old days lol

when I first started, I had the same problem, but I just keep playing and playing, learn tactics and read books, play stronger players, and you actually got better !

For people that are still in school, use that time to study chess, it will bear its fruits later. As they say, you can't run before you learn how to stand up.

Also, noone can call themselves a true chess player unles they have lost at least 1000 games.

BrightHour
[COMMENT DELETED]
Yereslov

This is from a one minute blitz game. I had a winning position, but I lost it during time pressure. Please try to remember that I had less than five second on the clock.

Yereslov

A game between someone my rank:

zborg

I love it when players with the white pieces INSIST they are the aggressor.  Below, is a combination, 14-ply deep?  Hardly.

A simple tactic.  Nothing fancy.  Then he abandoned this Game in 15/5.

I was steering for a level endgame.  The tactic simply fell into my lap.  Didn't even see it coming until the last couple moves, when white has a back rank weakness.

I was just exchanging pieces, in order to simplify the position.

Indeed, I much prefer endgames, as opposed to these crazy middlegames.  Smile

25) QxBc4, Rd1+  26) Qf1, RxQf1+  27) KxRf1 looks forced.  And Black is up two pieces.

Or earlier, 21) RxNe4? still loses the exchange to RxRe4  22) BxBg7,  R4-e2.

And both 21) BxNe4 and 21) BxBg7 will also lose material, either from various pins or white's back rank weakness.

On balance, White's 20) Ne4?! only looked aggressive.  It wasn't.

Give me a game (not this game) where opposing Queens and Knights get exchanged off, making my life on the royal chess board much simpler.  Then, I'm in Endgame Heaven.  Smile

graven29

Qe5 is a perfect move - since you actually have 3 threats, not just the 2 hanging pieces. I have to be honest though - Ne4 didn't make any sense for him. I was already trying to find ways to pull those rooks off the back rank, and he just gave you the solution. Nice find though - even though he abandoned the game - he was completely lost. I didn't even realize that exiting Live Chess didn't end the game, as it does on the ICC. I was probably really annoying my opponents with that one also.

MSC157

Here's another one. :) I played black, time control: 10|2, OTB.

Bill_C

Correspondance Tournament win at 3 days per move.

All in all a very nice handling of the full game.

Bill_C

Here is another 3 days per move game.

Here, I fought out of a weak Exchange Spanish line and was able to extract a win very nicely. There were some better ways to handle the board, likely playing c3 and d4 early on moves 6 and 7 but this was a great example of resiliency as i am learning new ways to play the Spanish.

Bill_C

Finally, here is one last game at 3 days/move that was very interesting in the dynamics of the position.

Very nice handling and using the Bishops pair to my advantage here. This game left book after move 4 and yet the tactics involved were fun.

learnateverygame

so many games posted, well @ vengence : the final game, after e4 I had this very interesting idea of just sacking the rook for white lol. Instead of 20 Rad1, I would like to play Nxe4 Bxa1 Rxa1 with some play because of black's pawn fixed on black squares. How to play as white though... I dont have time to check, but it looks so interesting, that I couldn't resist playing that :)

graven29

The second line might be even better, because the rook on b8 is actually hanging.

PortlandPatzer

I like the Bxd6 line here as well though it seems this idea did not creep into mind at all. Still, very nice solid play in the games.

MSC157
MSC157 wrote:

Here's another one. :) I played black, time control: 10|2, OTB.

Ooops, I forgot to add... We were both in time trouble the last 2 moves ;)

LastWings

here is a game that my friend and I played here.

He's not as good as me. If you could analyze it for us, (both for me and him)  I would be happy. Thanks.

Yereslov
new_at_chess wrote:

here is a game that my friend and I played here.

He's not as good as me. If you could analyze it for us, (both for me and him)  I would be happy. Thanks.