Forums

We need more amateurs to post their annotated games.

Sort:
Aquarius550

Wolf_Rayet

Essential Endgame Technique:

I believe that endgame technique is one of the defining characteristics in each skill braket within chess, being able to use advantages considered minor at lower levels of play such as a pawn or 2 in material and cleverly using domination and common tactics such as triangualtion and zugzwang to out play your opponent is the essential key to acending above the 1400 rating "barrier" that I struggled with for months.

Game 1(Using the 1 pawn advantage in a K+5 vs K+4):  Wolf_Rayet vs Bigdukesix 1-0

Game 2(Playing for a draw may win you the game): Wolf_Rayet vs. TimBitHauler 1-0

[Includes Draw technique with K+N+P vs. K+R]

[Includes Winning Technique for K+Q vs. K+R]

George1st
George1st
George1st wrote: Not bad, eh?

mrklin

I won it, but I'm sure I could do much better. Check my thinking.

Nanobot16

@mrklin

5... Bxc3 looks like a bit of an inaccuracy as the bishop has not been provoked to take the knight. Having doubled pawns on c2 and c3 is usually not a major problem for white. Some alternatives include ... Nf6 and ... e6 where black simply develops.

7... Nxe4 runs into Qd5, which double attacks the f7 pawn and the e4 knight. If the knight retreats to g5, then white can play Bxg5 with a checkmate threat and attack on the queen (removing the defender). Black can simply play Nd6 though and defend the pawn. A continuation may be 7... Nxe4 8. Qd5 Nd6 9. Nxe5 Where white has a lot of pressure on f7, but black can stay calm and play 9... Qf6.

7. Nxe5 Nxe5 8. Qd5 d6 9. Qxe4 and 0-0 seems like another option for white.

After obtaining a material advantage, continue to look for simple moves. 12... Nxe5 is a free piece. White will most likely not have enough material to even consider attacking after move 12. 

Mal_Smith

@mrklin

4... h6 looks a bit timid, shouldn't you be developing pieces?

5... Nano - are you sure about this?The Ruy Lopez Exchange Variation involves a similar BxN.

RadioactiveToys

@ dimis283

that's interesting stuff about Alekhine's !

mrklin

Thx for the feedback guys.

@Nanobot16: 5.Bxc3 is as Mal noted a fairly normal variation there, and the exchange is a personal preferance as I often struggle to keep the knights contained. Your other insights are spot on.

@Mal_Smith: 4.h6 is perhaps a bit timid but counters a very spesific and bothersome threat I've been struggling with, it takes away g5 from that knight, avoiding some embarrasing breaks into f7, or even pressuring my Queen if he can get his bishop up there. It may still be timid but it comes from some really bad experiences, so if it is a poor move I'd love some ideas of variations keeping my concerns in mind Embarassed

Mal_Smith
mrklin wrote:

Thx for the feedback guys.

@Nanobot16: 5.Bxc3 is as Mal noted a fairly normal variation there, and the exchange is a personal preferance as I often struggle to keep the knights contained. Your other insights are spot on.

@Mal_Smith: 4.h6 is perhaps a bit timid but counters a very spesific and bothersome threat I've been struggling with, it takes away g5 from that knight, avoiding some embarrasing breaks into f7, or even pressuring my Queen if he can get his bishop up there. It may still be timid but it comes from some really bad experiences, so if it is a poor move I'd love some ideas of variations keeping my concerns in mind 

You're reacting to threats that aren't there yet, and maybe never will be. You haven't time to mess around like that. Have a look at the Masters database - no 4... h6; 4...Nf6 is highly favoured and is simply Basic Opening Principle Number #1 - DEVELOP DEVELOP DEVELOP (Knights first usually...) and BOP #2: don't move any unnecessary pawns in the opening. 

Caveat - your point about the Bishop moving to that square and pinning the Knight against the Queen is a good one, moving to h3 then doesn't chase the B away, ie., doesn't break the pin. Moving to h3 before the bishop can pin is a good idea, but the B can't move at all yet as it's stuck behind the Q pawn. Looking at Masters database you do see some moving h3 when the threat of the B moving us actually there. What if the N shuffles off in another direction and the B fianchettos? Then h3 was for nothing.

Attacker5000
This is a 5|2 game. 
5arg

Can somebody add anything else besides what I added in annotation? :)

Some better moves maybe?

Vertwitch

BACK TO THE 16TH CENTURY , THE DAMIANO DEFENSE!

this is a 10 minute game 

Radical_Drift
eaglejorge wrote:

BACK TO THE 16TH CENTURY , THE DAMIANO DEFENSE!

this is a 10 minute game 

3. Nxe5

cashcow8

My drawn game in which I played well for most of the game. This was played at 15m+10s in the last round of a tournament. I had lost both my previous games to this player and he is better than me and higher rated, so I was pleased to get a draw.

adrienfines

@cashcow8 I'm not sure, but it looks like a Fritz analysis to me, I think the goal of the topic is a "personnal" annotation ! happy.png 

catlover123456

What technique is used to post a game? 

Please help. THX catlover123456

billy223
5arg wrote:

Can somebody add anything else besides what I added in annotation? :)

Some better moves maybe?White was Better suited to play 23. Rfe1 Qf4 24. Qxf4 Bxf4 25. Be3 and tempt Black to play 25... d4. he gets better chances to an endgame without a lot of positional weaknesses. Black still holds a passed duo but if the Rooks come off, White can play to draw. White was losing around move 7. All in all, you played very well