Chess - Play & Learn


FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store


What's this checkmate called?

  • #1
    I did not mean something simple like Smothered Mate; I think there's a name for this and I just don't know it.
  • #2

    looks like a smothered to me.

  • #3

    Petrosian called it "Oops!", in 1962.

  • #4

    looks kind of like the blackburne (i believe thats what its called) gambit

  • #5

  • #6

    where did you get my last game as white?

  • #7

    Wow. This looks pretty clever especially for a blitz game.

  • #8

    You're not thinking of Phildor are you? Thats the only thing that springs to mind with smotherd mate. Either way good game and great mate.

  • #9

    Yeah, it looks like the schematic of the Blackburne Shilling Gambit to me. Supposedly Blackburne offered games to amateurs, at stakes of a Shilling, and would proceed to win by this wily if dubious Gambit. This is just chess legend, and I doubt if it is true.

  • #10

    It's very similar to the Costage Trap.



  • #11

    Yes, definitely Blackburne pattern, did you aim for it or it just happened ?




Online Now