Forums

Would you have played 16 ...Rxf3

Sort:
SmurfOnSteroids

I made a rook and knight sacrifice in this game in order to open up the files for push pawns and eventually won as a result.

Forgot to insert the board. ONE sec

White resigns in this game, however, looking at all the end game variations, black either wins or draws with decent play.

SmurfOnSteroids
SmurfOnSteroids

Also, when I sacced the knight, I knew it would allow my other pawn to promote on a black square, instead of a white square (his bishop's color). THere was no way he would be able to defend against both pawn's pushing to promote on a black and white square with good knight placement.

xxvalakixx

But why did you trade queens? Instead of  19...Qg5? you should play 19...Qh4! followed by Qh3#. The sacrifice was good.

SmurfOnSteroids

Would you believe me if I told you it was a misclick since I got so excited?

SmurfOnSteroids
HurricaneMichael1 wrote:

But now I`ll tell you the rest of what I think,23...bxa3 is just getting "sac happy",23...Nd2+ is much better.

Is this your opinion, or a a chess engine told you? Although an engine will whoop my butt anyday under normal circumstances, I don't think it knows that 30 moves in the future having two pawns ready to promote on opposite color squares vs a white bishop is very favorable, locking up both his rooks.

SmurfOnSteroids

I did it run it through an engine, considering both moves. ALthough Rybka prefers your move, it eventually loses the game. However, when I play my move, Rykba ends up winning much later on. However, I'm sure it requires near perfect play for black.

Rujeboroduy

And what did you plan to do on 18.Qd3?

zborg

Please don't keep posting games where your 1200 rated opponents blunder pieces and then you wax poetic about your attacking skills.  Eventually someone will point out this silliness to you.  Sorry.

Your opponent didn't have the foggiest idea how to use his rooks or his queen, inter alia.  And he was blind to the need for King safety.

His many knight moves gave away tempos mindlessly, and he never once moved the rook on (a1).  The guy was clueless.  Tactical fireworks, notwithstanding.

Indeed, some of your later moves and unsound sacs gave white extra chances, as you found out from Rybka.  Whatever.

InfiniteFlash

One of the beautiful lines was instead of 19..Qg5, 19..Qh4 20.h3 (preventing Qh3#) Rxc4!, another exchange sacrifice 21.bxc4 Qxc4+ 22.Kg2 Qe4, and white simply loses everything.

waffllemaster

The rook "sac" was good.  19.Qg5 lets white breath easier, 19.Qh4 threatens mate in 1 and of course you have an attack.

The knight sac was unnecessary.  You could have played the exact same way except a knight extra after 23.Nd4.  But it's good you're looking for these kinds of ideas instead of making automatic moves... the hard thing about chess is exceptions have exceptions too :p  In this case 23.bxa3 did create a very dangerous pawn at the cost of a knight... but it could have been done for free.  So think outside the box... then think outside that box too Laughing

SmurfOnSteroids
waffllemaster wrote:

The rook "sac" was good.  19.Qg5 lets white breath easier, 19.Qh4 threatens mate in 1 and of course you have an attack.

The knight sac was unnecessary.  You could have played the exact same way except a knight extra after 23.Nd4.  But it's good you're looking for these kinds of ideas instead of making automatic moves... the hard thing about chess is exceptions have exceptions too :p  In this case 23.bxa3 did create a very dangerous pawn at the cost of a knight... but it could have been done for free.  So think outside the box... then think outside that box too

Thanks, I've realyl been trying to improve my game these last fews weeks, learning lots of opening theory, last game I played a full on King's Indian, after just watching Fischer games on youtube (Kingcrusher commetary).