x
Chess - Play & Learn

Chess.com

FREE - In Google Play

FREE - in Win Phone Store

VIEW

Back to FIDE 2000!

How sad!! I touched the screen of my phone in the wrong place by mistake - and poof!! OP's gone!!

Happily enough, I still have the game saved on my computer and can post it again (it didn't change that much since I originally posted it) - so here:

The original post also touched a couple more points:

1) Telling you guys that with this game I'm back to FIDE 2000+ (2003) after three years below that mark (my first rating was 2012, back in 2014 - and it quickly fell below sea level. If I ever make 2016 it will be a new record); 

2) Asking you to post comments and ideas, to properly label computer input in case you post it, and not to make us believe that you saw an idea, when actually an engine "saw" it. We can all fire engines at home, the idea here is to analyze on our own and sharpen our chess intellect - or at least to be honest about what we post.

The OP was probably written more beautifully and longer - but time is short and I believe that I covered the most important ideas in this reconstructed version.

EDIT: A kind reader posted some of the original content in comment #44, p. 3 - it's probably worth reading.

Congratulation and hope you go to 2100 and higher. happy.png

I sure hope so - as I still want to reach the CM title (FIDE 2200) one day. 

FIDE 2100 would be a major stepping stone to that goal - although I feel that I need to improve a lot to get there, AND they say that it's even tougher (maybe MUCH tougher) to climb from that point to 2200... especially at my age, etc. :-)

I don't buy that age thing, by the way - it's more a function of how much time I want to dedicate to chess improvement - and it goes in waves. Sometimes I study a lot, sometimes I don't feel like studying at all. 

Strangely, in this period I find myself playing (AND studying) much more backgammon than I do chess - I discovered a new passion and it's absolutely amazing!

Wishing you well for tonight's game, get that title! And your Free Membership!

Well done Solskytz!

Backgammon is a great game, with much more strategy and tactics than people think...

Thank you, @piperose, and very true indeed - this is exactly the thing!, @klimski and @intermediatedinoz

Damn you... I got the 2000 a few months ago and then lost it again! It's tough to hold onto, well done.

solskytz wrote:

Thank you, @piperose, and very true indeed - this is exactly the thing!, @klimski and @intermediatedinoz

Will you be posting the games🤓

Is there a link to the tournament?

Congratulations! looking back to seeing the game. Messy bussiness indeed, I'm always around ready to annotate and facilitate your 2100 FIDE if it happens online 

solskytz wrote:

I sure hope so - as I still want to reach the CM title (FIDE 2200) one day. 

FIDE 2100 would be a major stepping stone to that goal - although I feel that I need to improve a lot to get there, AND they say that it's even tougher (maybe MUCH tougher) to climb from that point to 2200... especially at my age, etc. :-)

I don't buy that age thing, by the way - it's more a function of how much time I want to dedicate to chess improvement - and it goes in waves. Sometimes I study a lot, sometimes I don't feel like studying at all. 

Strangely, in this period I find myself playing (AND studying) much more backgammon than I do chess - I discovered a new passion and it's absolutely amazing!

Go for it. Everyone in the first few posts are supporting you and rooting for you in reaching your goal. A rating of 2200 for a CM title is definitely within your reach.

It's good that you have found another passion in backgammon.

<Madhacker> that's very true :-)

But you can get insurance for the FIDE 2000 rating. 

The best insurance is to make it to 2200... :-)

<PipeRose> It's not a tournament - it's the Belgian league (we're in the third league). I will post the game - it simply takes a lot of time to annotate and I'm full of other business on my hands... :-) probably another day or two. 

It's so nice to see that I already have 11 comments - including one from my brother, who I haven't seen on these pages for ages!! - and before posting the game!! :-)

<Amiri> that's amazing to see you on chess.com again - and I think that it's your first comment on any of my articles... :-)

Unfortunately FIDE ratings don't happen online (except for arena ratings - but these are not taken seriously) - otherwise your highly effective help would be appreciated and expected!! :-)

- - - - - - - - - - - 

<Eric2022> Thanks :-) of course you will know as further milestones are made!!

Congratulations!!  Keep training, you can do it!!

Thanks!! :-) I will!!!

I tend to think 2200-2300 is the big jump, and 2200 is possibly accessible for the likes of us with a lot of hard work. When I play 2200s they seem like a better version of me, i.e. a 2000 without losing the plot and making bad errors. 2300s are more like 'flawed masters', i.e. they play really good chess, at a much higher level then us, just sometimes get it wrong.

My first FIDE rating was 1978 in September 2011. Then it dropped to 1820. Now I am rated 1903. Getting to 2000 is sort of a goal of mine, although I have not been very active lately.

Congrats and good luck on reaching 2200 some day. 

My live rating is 2026, and I am currently playing a league so I'll try to get 2100 till the end of the year (I will also play one open tournament).

Well - it's great to have a mutual encouragement forum here, for people just above or below 2000 :-) We're all full of motivation and we'll certainly make it one day!! :-)

The annotated game is now in the OP (post number 1, top of this page)!! :-)

Share and enjoy !!!!

A voice beyond the aeons just told me that black had another way to draw - 51...Rxa2, the idea being 52. Rh1 Rf2+ with 53...Rxf6 and 54...Bd8+. 

This leads to the white king gobbling some pawns, while the black bishop stands on g5 and wins the R with the last remaining pawn. 

A nice variation indeed!! 

Online Now