Forums

Favorite Checkmate

Sort:
iixxPROxxii

We all like an easy, quick endgame checkmate. But every now and then, you get a unique checkmate.

Post a game showing off one of your favorite checkmates:

(This one is from a game of chess960)

ChessisGood

Here's a puzzle I made for the kids at an NCC Chess Camp:

iixxPROxxii

I honestly can't see how one could get a checkmate in only a few moves here... lol

Courtney-P

Smothered mate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smothered_mate

GreenCastleBlock

This is one of my favorite patterns.  It shows up in the Gurgenidze Modern and also the Taimanov Sicilian when White castles short and plays f4.

GreenCastleBlock

Here's another pattern that I like, because of the repeated rook sacrifices on the same square.

plotsin

I like the ones with the knights.

chessgdt

This is not what happened in the game. It wouuld have if he played Qxd5.

plotsin

Here's a real easy classic trap I use against patzers/amateurs, though it usually only works once or twice.

Classic. Btw does this have a name?

chessgdt

Here is the game:

thenextprodigy

It would suck to be black here.

atarw
chessgdt wrote:

Here is the game:

Actually something similar happened to me in a game, but in a Na5 Two Knights line, I was black and won

iixxPROxxii
thenextprodigy wrote:

NICE! Neverunderestimate the power of the pawn! lol

I wonder what black's reaction was. Laughing

atarw

This is a great checkmate, skip to the end, and you will see that no matter what White does, Black will play Qxg4+ Qxg4 Be7#, or Be7# directly

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1462505

ThomasRules000

plotsin that is wrong cuz he could of just taken ur knight so free knight nice one

plotsin

I know that, like I said, it usually doesn't happen that easily, but if you playing someone who just started then it's usually easy to pull off, not in that sequence of moves, but usually something like that with a queen and knight

jtt96
thenextprodigy wrote:

lol

iixxPROxxii

This is a good one, in a 1 min game: