Forums

Hammer time

Sort:
svenfromntbym

This game was a blitz game. 1+5 time control. So there are many blunders. The only thing that makes it interesting is Hammer Time. Which starts on move 26. I have never suffered quite so bad...

EternalChess

Better for black was..

41. ... Bc6, which wins

MyNames

It's called a windmill

svenfromntbym

Very true, like I said, this was a blitz game, there were an abundance of blunders on both sides.

svenfromntbym
MyNames wrote:

It's called a windmill

Hammer time seems more appropriate. Thanks for filling me in though.

zealotchess

why did I need to take that lonely pawn!? This will hunt me for long. I disgraced hammertime...

Dondon7

I thought it was called a seesaw, but I guess there are other names.

Eebster

The windmill is probably the most devastating non-mating pattern I have ever seen. You got off easy losing only six points.

tarikhk

I say we call it hammer time from now on, in the hope that it catches on. It'd be a good kibitz. Imagine; A dusty old seasoned veteran builds positional pressure and plusses while the new kid on the block is getting squeezed at the local club. He tries to sacrifice a pawn for counterplay, but the vet declines. Finally, a position is entered, where the vet gets too comfortable, and accidentally allows a rook onto his seventh. "No problem, the rook serves no purpose there. My kingside is weak, but so what? there is no attack.", he internally shrugs before pushing a pawn on the queenside, claiming more space and a tidy square for his knight. The young person's face has until now carried a look of nervous desperation. Suddenly, a sinister smile breaks upon his face. He doesn't even look at the board as he swings his bishop to b2. "Check". The vet makes the only legal move. "Hammer time". The vet looks at the board, stops and realises that it is, indeed, hammer time. He immediately dies from shame.

Eebster
tarikhk wrote:

I say we call it hammer time from now on, in the hope that it catches on. It'd be a good kibitz. Imagine; A dusty old seasoned veteran builds positional pressure and plusses while the new kid on the block is getting squeezed at the local club. He tries to sacrifice a pawn for counterplay, but the vet declines. Finally, a position is entered, where the vet gets too comfortable, and accidentally allows a rook onto his seventh. "No problem, the rook serves no purpose there. My kingside is weak, but so what? there is no attack.", he internally shrugs before pushing a pawn on the queenside, claiming more space and a tidy square for his knight. The young person's face has until now carried a look of nervous desperation. Suddenly, a sinister smile breaks upon his face. He doesn't even look at the board as he swings his bishop to b2. "Check". The vet makes the only legal move. "Hammer time". The vet looks at the board, stops and realises that it is, indeed, hammer time. He immediately dies from shame.

It would be better if he were gloating over a substantial material advantage before you shouted, "STOP, Hammer Time," and proceeded to take all his pieces.

scotchfaster

This is the only chess game that ever made me laugh. Thanks for sharing, and congrats on pulling it out. What was funny was that the Hammer Time (love it!) eventually became his downfall...it worked so well for him that he tried it one time too many and got stuck.