Forums

Is there no immediate win here?

Sort:
InfiniteFlash

for white?

Irontiger

h5 looks pretty convincing.

For instance 1.h5 gxh4 2.Qh4, or 1.h5 Kg7 2.hxg6 with the threat Rh7+ and Qh(something)

falcogrine

I have a giant diagram going for 50 minutes now. I'm not using a computer, that's cheatingTongue Out. I have just about everything but Kg7 nailed down.

falcogrine

btw, instead of qh4 in the first variation, I sac the rook leading to a quick forced mate, i haven't analyzed qh4 at all. Does it force mate too?

Irontiger
falcogrine wrote:

btw, instead of qh4 in the first variation, I sac the rook leading to a quick forced mate, i haven't analyzed qh4 at all. Does it force mate too?

Are you sure ? I looked at that (without a diagram though) and it seemed like c1=Q busts it. But I might be just wrong.

Rational_Optimist

1.h5 seems immediately decisive forexample 1.gxh5 2.Rxh5+ Kxh5 3.Rh1+ Kg7 4.Nh7+ or 1...c1=Q 2.hXg6+ Qxh1 3.Rxh1+ Kg7 4.Rh7+ etc

2...Kg7 3.Rxc1 with idea of 3...Rxc1 4.Rh7+ Kg8 5.Rxe7 Ra2+ 6.Kg1 a2 7.Qh4 Qa1+ and it seems to me black cant defend against mate.

now i m tired and i hope i havenot overlooked anything obvious in my calculations.

falcogrine

After I posted the above comments, it wouldn't let me insert the diagram:( Here is the new one I made, it should have all the same variations showing a forced win.

Please check and tell me if I missed anything.

This was a very interesting position.

falcogrine

Also fun are those lines, as well as Nh7, after h5 Kg7. They don't seem to lead anywhere, but are pretty fun to analyze.

InfiniteFlash

Well, the idea that everyone is missing (including me when I first analyzed the position) is that black has an amazing counter tactical shot.

falcogrine

I'd reply 29. Qh4.

Brasigringo

What is black's response to 30.Qh4 instead of Rh7+?

varelse1

Another possible defense for black may be 27....Rh8

falcogrine

varelse, that would turn rather interesting after Ngf7+.

DanielCarrapa

Wouldn't marching the pawn all the way up also acomplish this win? any exchange would just benefit white's position.

falcogrine

you can't march the pawn up, the king can hide in the corner and block it. Also, c1=Q as well as black's material advantage, and a-pawns, guarantees a black win in that case.

DanielCarrapa
[COMMENT DELETED]