Forums

My first bishop and knight checkmate.

Sort:
SmurfOnSteroids

I never thought I'd see the day where learning this mating pattern had its merit. I had mostly practiced to learn how to use a bishop and knight in general, not to actually mate, since it's so rare.

VULPES_VULPES

AWESOME

SmurfOnSteroids
VULPES_VULPES wrote:

AWESOME

The best part is that my opponent literally forced this endgame and made up his mind to do so slightly before he lost his rook. He had it all planned out lolol...except he didn't expect a player with my rating to pull that off haahha

VULPES_VULPES
EdwardKingSolomon wrote:
VULPES_VULPES wrote:

AWESOME

The best part is that my opponent literally forced this endgame and made up his mind to do so slightly before he lost his rook. He had it all planned out lolol...except he didn't expect a player with my rating to pull that off haahha

yeah, I was surprised too. I used to have mastered that checkmate but I lost that touch. 

SmurfOnSteroids

Just wanted to point out that move 71 was actually Na3+, I entered it wrong on the graph.

varelse1

In 28 years of serious chessplay, I've had this endgame come up exactly once.

There are grandmasters who have never seen it.

But it is still nice to study, as it teaches how to coordinate your pieces.

Feufollet

bravo!

SmurfOnSteroids
varelse1 wrote:

In 28 years of serious chessplay, I've had this endgame come up exactly once.

There are grandmasters who have never seen it.

But it is still nice to study, as it teaches how to coordinate your pieces.

I beleive the primary reason why this end-game is so rare is because high level players intentionally make choices that avoid this endgame, because they don't study it.

In this game I already made up my mind to go the bishop/knight endgame before I lost my rook because I'm comfortable with those two pieces in the endgame.