Forums

OTB Game vs. 2128 USCF

Sort:
Bossologist

I was looking through my database of games and stumbled upon this game that I played a few years ago. Going into this fourth round game, I was 0.5/3 in the U2200 section (I was 1808 and playing up) and was kind of depressed at how the tournament was going. 

However, he played into one of my favorite openings...the Milner Barry Gambit! I've been told by multiple people that it sucks as an opening and after a6, white is lost (no Nb5 ideas). However, it appears that after a6, my opponent didn't know what to do! This is what happens when you take too many pawns without a plan in this dangerous opening!

Hope you enjoyed the game!

Catnap2012

Nice moves :) good game

Bossologist

Wow IM pfren, I didn't even see Nd4 in my analysis! Yeah I definitely agree, black is better in that position. Thanks! and Thanks Catnap!

piphilologist

What do you do after 18...Qe5?

(19.Bf4 Bc5+)

Rotonblau

Wow, I enjoyed that. May I ask what was the time control for this game?

Bossologist

Piphilologist: after 18...Qe5, I think Nb6 followed by Qf2 should be enough to win the game. The dark square penetration and tactics on d5 seem to be unpreventable.

Rotonblau, the time control of the game was 90 minute with 30 second increment each move

Bossologist

I also just played a game in live chess against FM asynchrony that followed this game pretty closely, until he played Bc5+ after retreating the queen to b8

Elubas

lol, people use the term lost way too loosely. Black may have some chances for the advantage in the ...a6 line, but it is quite another thing to claim that his pawn will simply win him the game. But chess is a practical game, and this is a great attack, especially considering you were a class A player doing this to such a strong player at the time.

I never play these kinds of games. Maybe it's because I only play openings that are supposed to be good. Perhaps it's only by playing openings like the King's gambit and hoping your opponent messes up that you can get him to fail so brilliantly :)

It has its trade-offs I guess!

piphilologist
Bossologist wrote:

Piphilologist: after 18...Qe5, I think Nb6 followed by Qf2 should be enough to win the game. The dark square penetration and tactics on d5 seem to be unpreventable.

That looks promising, and I found a nice win for white in that line, but I think black can survive and win

Bossologist

I also agree Elubas, I never let people who say an opening is refuted prevent me from playing it. All the more reason to! 

mateologist

An Outstanding stategical/ tactical victory over your strong opponent (expert). With IM phren tremendous analysis a most INSTRUCTIVE thread !! Thanks for posting and HAPPY HOLIDAYS to ALL !   Cool  

InfiniteFlash

I think 9.Nbd2 is whites best option to get satisfactory compensation.

Bossologist

Yeah mateologist, IM pfren had some instructive insights into the game. Happy Holidays :)

Randomemory: I want to take back on d4 though. That's the line I like playing. Nbd2 may be the best move, but I like Nxd4 better :)

ANd piphologist, you're right, it's very pretty.

piphilologist
Bossologist wrote:

ANd piphologist, you're right, it's very pretty.

did you look at all of my lines? although after 18...Qe5 19.Nb6+ Kc7 20.Qf2 Bd6? white indeed has a pretty win, after 20...Bxf5 (my main line) it looks like a black win to me. I'm only around 2000 fide so there may be something I overlooked but I can't see it. can you see a white win after 18.f4 Qe5 19.Nb6+ Kc7 20.Qf2 Bxf5?

Truxton777

Nice game!  tactical dream...you played a few moves that aren't at all obvious...Nice tactical motifs, well done.