Forums

Recovered From A Blunder

Sort:
Blind_Demon

this is a game that I recently played, came back to win because of a timely sac and sharp play...tell me what you think

moopster

first off, 14. Nxf8.  Other than that, you got lucky that Black gave up 2 tempo for two pawns.  To be honest, that sac/mate was very nice, never woud have seen it myself.

checkmaito

Err, bad set of moves but good checkmate. You were lucky that Black was a very weak player.

Blind_Demon

yes i was

Blind_Demon

yeah, this game should have been over long before I ever got a chance at the finish....

Blind_Demon

thanks, tony, means alot coming from a NM, care for a game?

AZMatt

I believe 22... Qe5 would prevent the checkmate.

Blind_Demon

perhaps but 23...resign, will be the move after 23. Bxe5 :)

kamikazepig

How would you have responded to 21...Nd4? Unless there's a continuation of the combination I'm not seeing, you end up up a queen for rook and bishop...still ahead but a lot of moves to be made.

Miicchhaaeell

Very Good. Never Would Have Seen That Sack. Good Mate.

Blind_Demon

Rxd4 and to my eyes the he must take with the queen to prevent mate...i take the queen...and i'm up I should win the game from here

MartinSketchley

That was a good set of moves in the end game.  The Black King was exposed and you took advantage from it.  Well played.

kamikazepig

Well sure, you should win after Nd4, but you're only up a queen for a rook and bishop. The material advantage is far from overwhelming.

Daniel3

Nice Rook sacrifice at the end. In fact, that was just the move I was thinking of before I saw the ending.

You should have been trying to force open the e-file to get at the King. As it was, you narowly escaped a losing game because of the King's running to the queenside. Always look for those retreats and cut them off!

AZMatt
ericbarber wrote:

perhaps but 23...resign, will be the move after 23. Bxe5 :)

The queen for a rook and a bishop is an advantage (slight), but I don't think it merits immediate resignation. 

Don't get me wrong, it's a good sacrifice tactic and I enjoyed seeing it.

Thanks!

Theoryful

Great game, and well played I'd say.

GertFromTheWell

Nice tactics! Goodgame, makes me want to go play one now...