Forums

So close to giantkilling!

Sort:
madhacker

I played 24. Qh3 which is rubbish and I lost quickly after that. I was in time trouble but it's no excuse really, the winning move wasn't hard to find at all.

madhacker

Correct. Picks up the Bc5 for nothing. Don't know what I was thinking.

rooperi

Hmm, there was a Timothy Kett playing in South Africa 20 or 30 years ago, wonder if it's the same or any relation. I think he had a playing brother too.

madhacker

Yep, same one.

rooperi

Ah, cool. I might have lost a few blitz games to him at Cafe Wien.

madhacker

Wahay! Giantkilling achieved in same competition at second time of asking!

madhacker

Do we get to see that game?

azziralc

24.Qg5 wins the bishop and is threaten to play 25.Qh6 if Black takes back the bishop. 24...h5 25.Qh6 and is mate on g7,

e4_guy

But what was the winning line after Qg5 Kh8, Qh6 Rg8 ?

There was no win for white there.

azziralc
e4_guy wrote:

But what was the winning line after Qg5 Kh8, Qh6 Rg8 ?

24.Qg5 Kh8 then 24.Qxc5 is simply winning. 

azziralc

24.Qg5 hits the bishop on c5 and also threatens to play Qh6

e4_guy

Sure, but that line would require lost of moves for win. And time, of course.

eddysallin
madhacker wrote:

Correct. Picks up the Bc5 for nothing. qg5, forces kh8(prevent qh6 and g7 mate)   qxb would be my choice ,and wins.     Good game up to that point                                                                                              

fissionfowl

Out of curiosity: in the 1st game why not 18.fxg6?

EDIT: Scratch that. I've been stupid again. Embarassed

madhacker
FirebrandX wrote:

Yep, well played, took advantage of the weaknesses created by white's premature attack.

I've looked at a few replies to the Chatard-Alekhine and settled on a6. Your 0-0 looks interesting, but I'm not sure I'd have the guts to play it, even if it has been worked out to a draw as you suggest. The idea behind a6 is simply to stop Nb5 so black only has to worry about one side of the board, and then play c5 to break up the centre and create counterplay. I get pretty good results with it. The funniest line is this:

Also, have you looked at f6 as an alternative? I remember hearing somewhere that it used to be all the rage until someone came up with 6... f6 7. Bd3!? fxg5 Qh5+ with Rh3 coming up and bad things happening to the black king. But on the other hand fxg5 is not forced. Interesting.

Christian_Roettger
e4_guy wrote: (this is about the first game against Kett)

But what was the winning line after 24. Qg5 Kh8 25. Qh6 Rg8 ?

Yes there is! 26. Qxg7 RxQ 27. fxg7#

Black's only chance to defend g7 is moving the rook away, then Bf8 - if he still has the bishop at that point. I'd try Re8 and hope somebody did not notice the hanging bishop and went for mate.

Mysteriod

I just want to point out that in the first game one move 23 for white, the queen was hanging and would have gave you the win before move 24.

Mysteriod

And the funny thing is after 23 Rxd7 Nxe2 24 Qg5! and black cannot capture the rook because he must react to the mate threat.

madhacker

Yeah I inputted the game from memory, and it looks like I got the move order wrong. Nxc3 was played before Bc5+, when the king was still on g1.

WanderingPuppet
pfren wrote:

That gambit has fallen out of favour due to 6...Nc6 (Moro), although the ancient 6...h6 is also quite playable- Hou Yifan was unable to do something constructive at the Olympiad against a Kazakh player rated some 310 points lower.

6...Nc6 is NM (idk if FM yet) hellokostya approved i've found out from one of his students otb and Black's development is pretty simple Nd7-b6, Bd7 h6 and Na5 or maybe even Bb4.  it looks very solid.

6...h6 is strangely popular at lower levels although after qh5 or bxe7 and qg4 or be3 it's a complicated game but i expect white may find something somewhere.