Forums

2013 Candidates Tournament

Sort:
TheOldReb

FIDE changed their Candidates Tournament  to Candidates Matches due to Fischer and soviet " tactics " in such events decades ago . This year FIDE has returned to a DRR tournament format and I believe Carlsen had much to do with them changing back to a tournament format . I wonder if FIDE thinks there is no chance of underhanded " tactics "  once again ?? 

• Levon Aronian (ARM)
  • Magnus Carlsen (NOR)
  • Boris Gelfand (ISR)
  • Alexander Grischuk (RUS)
  • Vassily Ivanchuk (UKR)
  • Vladimir Kramnik (RUS)
  • Teimour Radjabov (AZE)
  • Peter Svidler (RUS)

Given this list of participants it seems possible that there may be some questionable " tactics " used yet again .  I personally prefer the head to head matches . 

trysts

Since there are no Americans in the candidates tournament, then maybe there won't be any accusations of cheatingLaughing 

FunWithChess20
trysts wrote:

Since there are no Americans in the candidates tournament, then maybe there won't be any accusations of cheating 

Hé that's funny. Where is Nakamura?

TheOldReb

If you think those accusations were false then you don't know much about chess history .  Even Capablanca complained of it to Stalin when he played an event in Russia . 

trysts

I'm sure you know about it more than I, Reb. But Mr. Armstrong was more on my mind than Fischer(yes, embarrassingly I watched OprahEmbarassed)

FunWithChess20
Reb wrote:

If you think those accusations were false then you don't know much about chess history .  Even Capablanca complained of it to Stalin when he played an event in Russia . 

lol. don't be rude man trysts may have an opinion, or make joke. Let us have a laugh. Laughing

On a serious note:

Using "questional tactics" in a way of taking quick draws against eachother and then playing at full strength against the favorite (Magnus offcourse) won't work in my opinion because he is just too good. Besides with the draw you are throwing away half a point. The only way that I can think of that the players could effectively cheat. Is to pick a player they want to win and lose to him on purpose. Having said that, there is no format in which bribes and other ways of matchfixing can be stopped. The problem is in any sport and will be there all the time. The problem ain't the format of play, or rules in place, but the corruption in people as a whole. 

You won't solve it, society won't solve it. I'll advice you to just enjoy the games as they are played.Wink

chessteenager

What are you implying? 

Aronian, Gelfand, Carlsen, Ivanchuk, and Grischuk all have clean slates. I dont know about svidler and Redj. 

Kramnik cheated once in the game against....Topalov i believe? but what exactly are you trying to get at? 

AndyClifton

dang ruskies!

ticcherr

how did dey selec t ehse people, shudn it be liek the top 10 ppl in the world who get to play or not???

NimzoRoy

@NM Reb Yeah the Candidates Matches were awesome but who's going to pay for them? And the answer is...probably no one. Or else we'll see 6 rd matches that end up being settled by blitz games...after a 3-3 tie - how impressive. And then we get to see a World Championship Match consisting of a lousy 12 games, that might also end up being decided by blitz games. 

BTW is there a source for Capa's complaint to Stalin? What event was he complaining about? He talked to Uncle Joe in person about this? 

APawnCanDream
ticcherr wrote:

how did dey selec t ehse people, shudn it be liek the top 10 ppl in the world who get to play or not???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Chess_Championship_2013

I know its Wiki but I did a brief scan and it seemed to look accurate.

I prefer matches but last Candidate's was aweful with almost all matches decided by blitz games. If they did longer matches perhaps that would be better but then you get the problem of sponsorship. The World Championship needs to be longer however- 12 games is much to short.

I do believe the double round robin format was chosen due to Carlsen and  I think everyone is eager to get a chance at the title and hopefully no under handed tactics will happen (not that we'd really know anyway). I'm excited for it! I think Carlsen is going to be under huge pressure so it'll be interesting to see how he handles it.

blueemu
ticcherr wrote:

Da slekshun prosses iz verry cunfzed.

The following people were selected for the Candidates Tournament:

The loser of the 2010 World Championship Match.

The loser of the 2009 Candidates Match.

The winner of the 2008-2010 FIDE Grand Prix series of tournaments.

The 2nd-place of the 2008-2010 FIDE Grand Prix series of tournaments.

The 3rd-place of the 2008-2010 FIDE Grand Prix series of tournaments.

One player nominated by the chess federation that hosts the tournament.

The top two players on the rating list who are not already included.

trysts

Sorry blueemu, but that was either for the 2011 candidates tournament, or I accidently bought 100 proof vodka todayLaughing

blueemu
trysts wrote:

Sorry blueemu, but that was either for the 2011 candidates tournament, or I accidently bought 100 proof vodka today

That was for the past Candidates cycle, yes. Considering that FIDE changed the rules twice while the qualification cycle was running, I'm not going to hazard any predictions concerning the present cycle.

ElKitch

Looking forward to this. Since 2012 I started playing chess and watching it. So I have NEVER seen a candidate tournament!

trysts

Since woodshover's not in the cycle I usually protest the candidates tournament. Whenever I make a thread for that tournament, I cry.

SmyslovFan

Sadly, the winner of a double round robin candidate's tournament won't necessarily be the best player, just the player who is best able to score against the lower half of the table.

This favors Carlsen far more than any others. I would have loved to see Carlsen face Aronian or Kramnik in a match, even a short match such as those we saw in the last cycle.

I'll still watch the tournament, but I worry what other changes Carlsen will implement, especially if he wins the world title.

SmyslovFan
chessteenager wrote:

What are you implying? 

Kramnik cheated once in the game against....Topalov i believe? but what exactly are you trying to get at? 

Kramnik didn't cheat.

Topalov started losing his match and accused Kramnik of cheating. The next time Topalov played in a world championship match, just about every elite chess player in the world volunteered to help... his opponent. Topalov's main help, apart from his paid seconds, was the Bulgarian government and the makers of Rybka.

Vasily Ivanchuk was one of the elite GMs who argued that Topalov's unfounded accusations was one of the worst things ever to happen in a world championship event. Kramnik managed to win the match anyway.

blueemu

Was this the infamous "Toiletgate" scandal?

NimzoRoy

YES   http://chess.about.com/od/chesshistory/a/Toiletgate.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Chess_Championship_2006