Forums

2014 Chess Olympiad (Tromsø)

Sort:
watcha

Oops: Kateryna Lagno has beaten Hou Yifan. The chinese are also losing on board 4 ( Tan Zhongyi against Olga Girya ). Oh, those Russians...

SilentKnighte5

Kamsky really struggling this tournament.

SilentKnighte5

Russia got spanked this round.

SilentKnighte5
fabelhaft wrote:

Gelfand 2679

This isn't a surprise.  He's slowly been sliding down the rankings for a while now.  Like the air being let out of a balloon.

watcha

Armenia - Hungary : draw. This result is OK. Losing against China was not OK.

fabelhaft

A day of surprises, Carlsen loses, and Russia crushed by the Czechs.

Debistro
fabelhaft wrote:

Where are the Carlsen haters? I thought they should be all over this!

Carlsen losing to a "lowly" and barely 2700? That is a BIG surprise....

fabelhaft
Debistro wrote:
fabelhaft wrote:

Where are the Carlsen haters? I thought they should be all over this!

Carlsen losing to a "lowly" and barely 2700? That is a BIG surprise....

Maybe they got bored with it all and became Aronian haters instead, and then got unlucky today that Aronian won and Carlsen lost. Carlsen was much too eager to avoid draw at all costs, he really shouldn't have lost that game but such things happen, great endgame by Naiditsch with little time on the clock.

fabelhaft

The four first board players with the highest TPR ahead of the seventh round managed 0.5 point in their four games, with losses for Mamedyarov, Carlsen and Kasimdzhanov, while Adams alone managed a draw, against Canadian Kovalyov.

3kush3

Arkadij Naiditsch: "I have been as lucky as usually is." True words. Waiting game not worthy of a champion.

Synaphai
3kush3 wrote:

Arkadij Naiditsch: "I have been as lucky as usually is." True words. Waiting game not worthy of a champion.

Who determines what is and isn't "worthy" of the World Chess Champion? A patzer with a blitz rating of 1188?

fabelhaft

Who played a waiting game? Naiditsch didn't have much choice being as pressed back as he was, then he kept finding resources that made the position drawable, and took his chance to win in an impressive way when Carlsen overpressed. Otherwise Carlsen already won a great attacking game in the Olympiad, against Wojtaszek. Not as easy with black against Aronian and Caruana.

VG_
3kush3 wrote:

Lol Laughing Your feelings still hurt after Carlsen dismantled Anands play in the title match?

fabelhaft

Romania lost Nisipeanu to Germany but have won six of their seven matches, without playing any of the top 15 ranked teams, and this continues also in the eighth round, where they face the sensations of the day, the 16th seeded Czechs.

YANQUI_UXO

Naiditisch should take the win and be proud of his resistance, but these post-game opinions are really disgusting. Another hater and jealous grand master.

79Abraxas79

Very disappointed with the Russian Men's team.  After getting thrashed by the Czechs they can just about kiss goodbye any Medal hopes. I have never been a big fan of Svidler or Grischuk.  I think they are both over-rated.  Those big fat ratings as a result of playing all closed events can be deceiving.  

I would have gone with  Morozevich and Malakhov instead.  Its hard  though to say how indvidual players will perform.  Might it be that political events are affecting their play ? The search of all their luggage, shoddy hotel accomodations, controversy regarding the host country's attempts to exclude the women's team. 

I note Ukraine is also underperforming.

3kush3
Synaphai wrote:
3kush3 wrote:

Who determines what is and isn't "worthy" of the World Chess Champion? A patzer with a blitz rating of 1188?

ha ha you took the blitz rating remember even Caruana struggles in Blitz Laughing.
You throw the bait and people bite Cool 

Synaphai
3kush3 wrote:
Synaphai wrote:
3kush3 wrote:

ha ha you took the blitz rating remember even Caruana struggles in Blitz .
You throw the bait and people bite  

You didn't answer my question.

fabelhaft

Highest first board TPR after seven rounds:

Adams 2860

Navara 2848

Topalov 2837

Kasim 2827

Giri 2826

Carlsen 2819

Aronian 2810

YANQUI_UXO

So the 3-0 score before this game between Carlsen and the german idiot is due to luck? Well Arkadij, "un bel tacer non fu mai scritto" (a good silence has never been written).