Forums

2014 World Chess Championship - Whom would you like to see challenge Carlsen?!

Sort:
x-5710721855

At the cost of jumping the gun, assuming Carlsen wins the ongoing 2013 WCC , whom would you like to challenge him  in 2014? Do give a brief justification as well why you think he would be the right candidate to give Magnus a serious fight.

The candidates have been finalized. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Chess_Championship_2014

1. Anand

2. Kramnik

3. Andreikin

4. Topalov

5. Mamedyarov

6. Aronian

7. Karjakin

8. Svidler

Debistro

I would like Aronian.

Aronian is the most consistent 2800 player after Kasparov and Carlsen. He has maintained 2800 for years. Not even Kramnik or Topalov can do that.

I prefered Caruana to step up the plate (he is the same generation as Carlsen), but since he did not qualify, and his results are always inconsistent, Aronian is my next choice. Although Aronian never fairs well against Carlsen, and I do not think he will do well in match play conditions.....

In the next couple of years, if Wei Yi or one of the young guns continue to improve, one of them should be the best choice to take on Carlsen.

JMB2010

I have to agree. Aronian-Carlsen would be interesting. Although this is probably Kramnik's last chance.

x-5710721855

Karjakin is one of seconds of Carlsen this time around if I am not wrong. It shoud be intersting should he win the candidates.

Wonder when was the last time two lads in their early 20s fought it over a world championship in chess.

rooperi

Pity Nakamura is not there. I would have likes to see that.

But yeah, Aronian would be good.

MSC157

Definitely Kramnik. He beat Kasparov, why not Carlsen too?

Scottrf

As much as I love Aronian's style, he too often makes mistakes trying too much. I wouldn't fancy his chances. I'm not sure to what extent their previous meetings prove this feeling, but I do remember Carlsen winning a few over the last few years.

x-5710721855

It is also kind of intersting to note that only Svidler among these has a plus score against Carlsen in classical format (+1-2=9) .... but then Anand too had a + score before......

TheGreatOogieBoogie

Bacrot! :D

x-5710721855

But Bacrot has not qualified for the Candidates :).

TheGreatOogieBoogie

But... but his beautiful game against Polgar where he made a huge unbroken pawn chain! =(

MSC157

Show it TGOB

StevenBailey13

Kramnik - I think he could beat Carlsen in a match. Maybe he's the only one left who could do that

MSC157
StevenBailey13 wrote:

Kramnik - I think he could beat Carlsen in a match. Maybe he's the only one left who could do that

Exactly. Laughing

Oh meanwhile, when is the last time Kramnik beat Carlsen in classical game? Does anyone know?

JMB2010
MSC157 wrote:
StevenBailey13 wrote:

Exactly. 

Oh meanwhile, when is the last time Kramnik beat Carlsen in classical game? Does anyone know?

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1569983

rooperi

Is there no place in the tournnament for the loser of the current match?

x-5710721855
rooperi wrote:

Is there no place in the tournnament for the loser of the current match?

Yes the first candidate in my original post is that :)...

macer75

Personally I would like to see Anand vs Kramnik in the next WCC...

jeanurg

wait for the end of the match:still Magnus challenger is!Whishy is the champion

jeanurg

But i would like to see Kramnik!for the next challenger