Forums

2014 World Chess Championship - Whom would you like to see challenge Carlsen?!

Sort:
x-5710721855
jeanurg wrote:

wait for the end of the match:still Magnus challenger is!Whishy is the champion

JJust a little perspective, with today's victory the odds for Magnus to win has been put at 50 to 1 but yes, stranger things have happened before :)..

Archerknight

Stockfish 4, Houdini 3 and Komodo 5.1 should challenge Carlsen :)

BeatWeakDrawStrong
Arun_1986 wrote:

At the cost of jumping the gun, assuming Carlsen wins the ongoing 2013 WCC , whom would you like to challenge him  in 2014? Do give a brief justification as well why you think he would be the right candidate to give Magnus a serious fight.

The candidates have been finalized. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Chess_Championship_2014

1. Anand

2. Kramnik

3. Andreikin

4. Topalov

5. Mamedyarov

6. Aronian

7. Karjakin

8. Svidler

Kramnik is the obvious answer. He ALMOST beat Carlsen out for the right to play Anand for the championship. he's one of the best players of all times at forcing draws, and he has beat a dominating, unstoppable player before in a championship match in Kasparov.

The answer has to be Kramnik

quest13

To me, it is Kramnik who can still pull off...and then, may be Nakamura.

x-5710721855

Pity that Naka has not qualified for the candidates..would have definitely added some spice..

sapientdust

I wouldn't rate his chances very high at the moment, but I think Karjakin could be the best bet in a year. He's still improving, and he has youth on his side.

It would be great if he were to rise to number 2, and Carlsen-Karjakin became an epic rivalry like Kasparov-Karpov.

NomadicKnight

My money would be on a Carlsen-Anand rematch, but Carlsen vs Nakamura would make for one entertaining match to see.

Jion_Wansu
rooperi wrote:

Pity Nakamura is not there. I would have likes to see that.

But yeah, Aronian would be good.

Rank Name Title Country Rating Games B-Year
 1  Carlsen, Magnus  g  NOR  2870  0  1990
 2  Aronian, Levon  g  ARM  2801  6  1982
 3  Kramnik, Vladimir  g  RUS  2793  9  1975
 4  Nakamura, Hikaru  g  USA  2786  17  1987
Crazychessplaya

First choice Kramnik, second choice Aronian. Carlsen would toast Nakamura.

x-5710721855

With the rate Carlsen is playing, guess all the qualifiers for the 2014 candidates will need to get togther and play a handicap sort of match to bring down the Mozart!

Probably they could have Nakamura as a second to throw in some one or two wild openings :).

Ziryab

My favorite players are the two most likely to challenge Carlsen next. It is hard to decide between them.

Kramnik or Aronian? I like them both.

fhwee

I prefer Sergey Karjakin who became a GM at the age of 14, eight months before Carlsen became GM.

Ziryab

Karjakin is an expert on the Berlin.

Scottrf
fhwee wrote:

I prefer Sergey Karjakin who became a GM at the age of 14, eight months before Carlsen became GM.

His rating is going in the wrong direction at the moment though.

x-5710721855
Jion_Wansu wrote:
rooperi wrote:

Pity Nakamura is not there. I would have likes to see that.

But yeah, Aronian would be good.

Rank Name Title Country Rating Games B-Year  1  Carlsen, Magnus  g  NOR  2870  0  1990  2  Aronian, Levon  g  ARM  2801  6  1982  3  Kramnik, Vladimir  g  RUS  2793  9  1975  4  Nakamura, Hikaru  g  USA  2786  17  1987

What Rooperi meant is that Nakamura hasnt qualified for the next year's candidates...Pity, would have been interesting to have had him thrown in as a wild card..

Fritzlange

I'd like to play him but at estimated ELO of 1760 I think I need to get my rating up a bit.

x-5710721855
Fritzlange wrote:

I'd like to play him but at estimated ELO of 1760 I think I need to get my rating up a bit.

Well..in that case may be you can go as part of the seconds team with the challenger Wink

madhacker

Caruana would be good, although he's not in the tournament. I wouldn't bet against him being the one who eventually de-thrones Carlsen.

x-5710721855

With Anand almost running away to the finish line and all others crowded a distant 1.5 points behind, wonder if having Nakamura in this Candidates tournament would have made things a bit more interesting..

TheXBRAIN

The No.1 Chess Program! Stockfish :) The first ever FREE! No.1 

http://stockfishchess.org/download/