Forums

2024 Paris Olympics

Sort:
JuergenWerner

Think chess may have a chance 

http://shoryuken.com/2017/08/10/paris-olympic-committee-is-open-to-adding-esports-to-the-2024-olympics/

JuergenWerner

Thoughts?

JustOneUSer
It is a classified as a sport in the UK
JuergenWerner

I know, so should it be in the 2024 Olympics?

Strangemover

I don't see why not. But personally I think if something is going to be an Olympic event then the Olympics should be the pinnacle of whatever it is. Obviously its going in the opposite direction of including more and more things. I guess it depends whether the players are keen. No point for me if the top 10 for example don't play because there's a candidates tournament to prepare for or whatever.

JuergenWerner

Just realized that the 2016 Chess Olympiad had Americans win gold while the 2016 Summer Olympics had Americans win the most gold medals overall

macer75
Strangemover wrote:

I don't see why not. But personally I think if something is going to be an Olympic event then the Olympics should be the pinnacle of whatever it is. Obviously its going in the opposite direction of including more and more things. I guess it depends whether the players are keen. No point for me if the top 10 for example don't play because there's a candidates tournament to prepare for or whatever.

Tell that to the people in charge of mens' soccer/football at the Olympics.

Strangemover

Yeah I don't think football should be an Olympic event. It's an under 23 age range competition that is way down the pecking order of a footballers ambitions and of little interest to the average football fan. So IMO why bother cheapening the Olympic games by including it? 

fuzzbug

Chess is not a sport.

JuergenWerner

Are fighting games such as Street Fighter considered a "sport"? That's what the main article was about

JuergenWerner
The IOC (International Olympic Committee, a.k.a. The Supreme Authority of the Olympic Movement) came out of their Olympic Summit in Lausanne, CHE with a surprise announcement directly related to gamers: “esports” should absolutely be considered a sport.

http://shoryuken.com/2017/11/06/international-olympic-committee-rules-that-esports-are-in-fact-sports/

JuergenWerner

interesting...

macer75
fuzzbug wrote:

Chess is not a sport.

+1

ChrisWainscott
Ask any top guys how hard they train physically for competition and then tell me again it’s not a sport.
macer75
ChrisWainscott wrote:
Ask any top guys how hard they train physically for competition and then tell me again it’s not a sport.

It's not a sport.

Colin20G

It is not a sport in the sense that it doesn't involve anything physical during play. 

Chess is not more a sport than starcraft.

JuergenWerner

So...

CaptainJohn6
Nope
JuergenWerner

So, with this COVID-19 stuff, will Paris now be in 2025 instead of 2024?

JustOneUSer

I don’t think they’ve decided yet