Forums

My 5 minute rule

Sort:
DJAbacus

Good morning from Brighton, UK...

I would classify myself as an improving novice chess player, loving the study plan and all the lectures and the chess mentor system are helping me no end get better daily, anyway that's not the point of this post.

I feel I spend...no waste would be a better word... I waste too much time on each move. I have a look maybe, analyse for a bit, dismiss this move, investigate this line..come back.. and then probably come full circle looking again at moves I dismissed earlier. This problem was highlighted when after lots of thinking about the move over the course of the day, I played the worst move possible and handed my opponent my queen on a platter.

Still reading??....good...well I am going to instill a 5 minute rule. When it's my turn to move, I give myself (be nice to use the timer on my phone) max 5 minutes and when that buzzer goes the I have to make my decision. It's really a way of trying to be a little more disciplined and stop wasting time!!

Well, genius or madman? I would be interested in others people's approach to managing time when playing many turn-based games at one time...

DJAbacus

The question is do I spend say an hour on each move having a higher rating, making less mistakes and playing less games or spend 5 minutes on a each move which I guess will lead to a lower rating and more games and of course more mistakes.

I think I will learn more and become a better chess player in the long run if I adopt the latter approach. 

helltank

Nope. Spend as long as you need thinking about a move. 

Elona
In turn based chess online, you should take advantage of the time you have. The thought process will begin to speed up in time.
HarlemKnight404

I say, spend as much time as you need or want.  It's correspondence chess, and it is designed for that purpose.  However, you can also play "Live" chess to get a different type of game going.  15 minutes, with 15 second increments seems to be a good balance for me.  

I have not played much live chess recently, but will definitly add this back to my mix.  I used to play that way exclusivly, and just started with correspondence.  

Each mode has it's own purpose. 

Villyer

If it is your intent to play a lot of games and learn from that experience, I would recommend playing Live Chess as opposed to correspondence games.

The intent of your 5 minute rule is to be able to get more games in, but turn based chess isn't the ideal setting for this no matter what time restrictions you give yourself.

doublecorner
It was the long thinks that helped grow as a player. You have to work to get used to seeing further into a position. No one i know has ever become great by only playing speed chess??
DJAbacus
Thanks for all your comments....the 5 minute rule has been binned for the time being... :-)
Wizard_Esk
[COMMENT DELETED]
Wizard_Esk
[COMMENT DELETED]
Wizard_Esk

I would definitely say spend as long as possible. I see people's stats that say an hour per move and some that say many hours. When I first started playing online chess I would rush through my moves but these days I can't not take my time. Now I spend a lot of time trying to think through variations so I DON'T make as many mistakes! The only competition is the actual game, not how many games you have played or how long you have spent on each move.

AlCzervik

I need at least 5 minutes to think about this.

DJAbacus

hahaha...I remember writing this..I agree my 5 min rule is tosh!!

bobbyDK

maybe you should still use the timer after 5 minutes and then write down the move you would have made. try using another 5 minutes and write down the new move.

after the game you can then see if your first move was actually better.

if you consistently find the same move after 10 minutes as you would after 5 it might be a waste of time to spent an extra 5 minutes but I guess you will find a better move after 10 minutes because you might notice holes in your plan and threats that your opponent have you need to stop.