Forums

Anand v. Topalov 2010

Sort:
BacteriaInfection

Anand is truly a disgrace.  The match hasn't even started and he's already trying to play politics/mind games.  This is truly pathetic behavior.  But I'm not surprised since Anand has demonstrated only selfishness throughout his chess career.

Tricklev
TheGrobe wrote:

Has anyone got odds on Toaplov biting off a piece of Anand's ear during the match?

Laughing

Offtopic: Why isn't Bacterialinfection banned yet? It's obvious (s)he is just here for the trolling.

montree
Cutebold wrote:

I hope that Vishy wins, because I'm a big fan of his. What I know, however, is that it will be hard fought. We haven't seen Topalov at major tournaments in awhile despite his huge rating, which means he's certainly preparing in depth for his chance at claiming the title.I support Vishy's experience and practice.

Go Vishy!

Me too! I am all for Anand. Go Vishy! Good luck!

eXecute

Was Anand requesting a delay, somehow insulting to some people? I don't quite get it. Or did something else happen like Anand yelling at committee organizers "How dare you not delay it, my flights were cancelled!" ???

Shivsky
eXecute wrote:

Was Anand requesting a delay, somehow insulting to some people? I don't quite get it. Or did something else happen like Anand yelling at committee organizers "How dare you not delay it, my flights were cancelled!" ???

I believe those who are looking for a reason to hate on Anand (just like the massive anti-Topalov movement that spawns on just about every chess-related forum these days) are going to making a mountain out of this and every other gesture/word/action made by either team over the next few weeks.

Call me crazy, but hey, maybe we'll get to enjoy some chess as well :)

TheOldReb

It seems game 1 of the match has been postponed by 1 day. Is everyone happy now ? 

Ziryab
Reb wrote:

Has anyone stopped to think this might all just be a bunch of pre-match hysteria to draw more attention to the match, especially for the non-chess players in the world ?  It wouldnt surprise me any......

If only the chess community had such powers to create volcanic eruptions and flight cancellations, we might all play the Caro-Kann.

TheOldReb
Ziryab wrote:
Reb wrote:

Has anyone stopped to think this might all just be a bunch of pre-match hysteria to draw more attention to the match, especially for the non-chess players in the world ?  It wouldnt surprise me any......

If only the chess community had such powers to create volcanic eruptions and flight cancellations, we might all play the Caro-Kann.

I am not referring to the act of nature , but to the acts of people concerning the act of nature.

Okolo
BacteriaInfection wrote:

Anand is truly a disgrace.  The match hasn't even started and he's already trying to play politics/mind games.  This is truly pathetic behavior.  But I'm not surprised since Anand has demonstrated only selfishness throughout his chess career.

For the benefit of thise who might not have followed Anand's career, could you tell us how he has been selfish?  I recently read up on the Topalov / Kramnik controversey to get a better understanding of people'e sentiments.  From what i've seen so far, Anand seems to be a pretty nice guy. 

Okolo

Here is an article detailing the difficulties Anand's team faced in getting to Sofia.  Some people have been suggesting that it would be easy for him to find alternate transportation.  But unless he could predict the future I don't see how any of this could have been avoided. 

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6269

After all that hassle and disruption of his plans, I fully understand why Anand requested a postponement.  I don't see how anyone could accuse Anand of playing tricks or mind games.

By the way, the decision was made to postpone the match by one day.  Seems fair to me.

http://susanpolgar.blogspot.com/2010/04/world-championship-official-delay.html

Ziryab
cludi wrote:

Warm up with a few of my youtube videos of their great games played in the past:

Topalov-Anand, MTel Masters 2005 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-Df3OMNF2s

One of the best games ever played! Good explication, too. Thanks Claus.

ninevah
Ch3ck2Ch3ck wrote:

It has been evident from the very start of setting up this match that the Bulgarians, including Mr. Danialov and FIDE have maneuvered to give Topalov the most favorable advantages in the match while suffering the Champion mere compromises.  Again, I expected no less from this bunch.  We will have to wait and see what develops next.  Personally I hope this is resolved with all parties content and no sour grapes.  Let the games begin!

Of course, the Bulgarians caused the volcano to errupt...

The only sour grapes are some of Anand's supporters. Anand thanked for the postponement and that's it. Anand understands that not everything is possible and as easy as it seems from the coziness of someone's room across the world. That is why I respect him. As you dare to call people with plenty of experience helping, supporting and organizing chess tournaments and events, people who gathered the money and made this match possible "a bunch," you should ask yourself "What have I done for the chess world?".

TheOldReb

Its obvious that Anand understands the obligations/contracts of the organizers should they postpone. They will be losing money and maybe even face penalties and suits due to breach of contract(s) charges. Who would pay such additional expenses ? Those who hate Topalov look for any and every excuse they can to attack him, they have lost all objectivity. Toplov isnt involved in the decisions made by the organizers nor  FIDE , so why place any blame on him ?!  Its simply not logical to do so.  

transience
Reb wrote:

Its obvious that Anand understands the obligations/contracts of the organizers should they postpone. They will be losing money and maybe even face penalties and suits due to breach of contract(s) charges. Who would pay such additional expenses ? Those who hate Topalov look for any and every excuse they can to attack him, they have lost all objectivity. Toplov isnt involved in the decisions made by the organizers nor  FIDE , so why place any blame on him ?!  Its simply not logical to do so.  

As far as I can see, Topalov had nothing to do with the decisions of the Organizer's committee.

TheOldReb
Ch3ck2Ch3ck wrote:

If Topalov is not involved in the decisions of the Bulgarian Chess Federation or it's vice president Danialov -who just happens to be his manager, then why does he not shake hands with Kramnik?  He must of been on board when that scandal was unfolding.  No, he is involved with the decisions being made in this matter as well.

He doesnt shake hands with Kramnik because they hate each other. Kramnik doesnt want to shake hands either, their ill feelings towards one another is mutual.

eXecute

@Reb, I wonder why that is... Is there an article related to this?

Atos

Yes, on Google. Search their names and "Elista."

444four444

I'm hoping for Anand to come out on top, but it will be a close match. Either way it will be a great game and I can't wait to watch it :)

Conflagration_Planet

It seems like that cheating accusation could have been investigated, and proved one way or another.

orangehonda
woodshover wrote:

It seems like that cheating accusation could have been investigated, and proved one way or another.

It was of course.  They found nothing.  But then all Topa has to do is hint that the Kremlin or KGB was involved and change the subject by saying they closed the airport and hint he feared for his life because there'd be no way to escape.

In the end you just have to look at the games themselves.  If Kramnik was using a computer program to assist him at the time he was taking so many bathroom breaks, it was a piss-poor one lol, it's just that Topa wasn't able to catch all the blunders.