Forums

Are any elite chess players on a ketogenic diet?

Sort:
IMKeto
OldPatzerMike wrote:

I really identify with this thread. At age 60, I was putting on weight and tired all the time. My first thought was, Oh well, I'm getting old. Then I discovered "The Primal Blueprint". Primal is similar to paleo, and the primary advocates for each are good friends and have agreed to disagree about the differences. After a couple of months of eating strictly primal, my weight went from 195 to 172 and my energy level went through the roof. I've fallen off the "strictly" wagon, but still keep about a 90% primal diet. At 67, I am on no meds and often do fairly heavy outdoor work (like splitting wood or taking out tree stumps with a mattock) for 3-4 hours in high heat and humidity.

This has not translated into becoming an elite chess player, but there's still a tiny bit of hope of becoming a decent one. Meanwhile, may the bacon and eggs keep on coming.

I hope youre still doing well.  While you have me by a few years :-)  Like you I am not on any prescriptions.  I bike daily, exercise, stretch, drink more water than a camel.  And i have a job i look forward to going to. 

EscherehcsE
Martin_Stahl wrote:

There's a ton of keto based products and more regular stores are starting to carry some. I noticed some Duncan Hines mug cakes under the keto label, and those were not something most keto people would use, unless they were very lax.

 

Some products aren't bad and some are convenient and more appropriate for those tracking net carbs.

I bought into the net carbs idea, but I'm starting to back away from it now. I'm reading that some of the fiber that the food manufacturers claim won't get digested really do get digested. I haven't yet accepted the total carbs approach though, because it seems too restrictive. Maybe the truth is somewhere between the two? idk...

Martin_Stahl
EscherehcsE wrote:

I bought into the net carbs idea, but I'm starting to back away from it now. I'm reading that some of the fiber that the food manufacturers claim won't get digested really do get digested. I haven't yet accepted the total carbs approach though, because it seems too restrictive. Maybe the truth is somewhere between the two? idk...

 

I don't strictly track things most of the time but lean towards the net carbs side of things. Whether or not something impacts someone on the fiber and sugar alcohols standpoint is something that can be slight different for some people. The best way to find out is with testing, but not many people do that or really want to do that.

OldPatzerMike
IMKeto wrote:
OldPatzerMike wrote:

I really identify with this thread. At age 60, I was putting on weight and tired all the time. My first thought was, Oh well, I'm getting old. Then I discovered "The Primal Blueprint". Primal is similar to paleo, and the primary advocates for each are good friends and have agreed to disagree about the differences. After a couple of months of eating strictly primal, my weight went from 195 to 172 and my energy level went through the roof. I've fallen off the "strictly" wagon, but still keep about a 90% primal diet. At 67, I am on no meds and often do fairly heavy outdoor work (like splitting wood or taking out tree stumps with a mattock) for 3-4 hours in high heat and humidity.

This has not translated into becoming an elite chess player, but there's still a tiny bit of hope of becoming a decent one. Meanwhile, may the bacon and eggs keep on coming.

I hope youre still doing well.  While you have me by a few years :-)  Like you I am not on any prescriptions.  I bike daily, exercise, stretch, drink more water than a camel.  And i have a job i look forward to going to. 

Thanks for the good wishes. Still doing as well at 71 as I was at 68. Still not a good chess player, but you can't have everything.

IMKeto
OldPatzerMike wrote:
IMKeto wrote:
OldPatzerMike wrote:

I really identify with this thread. At age 60, I was putting on weight and tired all the time. My first thought was, Oh well, I'm getting old. Then I discovered "The Primal Blueprint". Primal is similar to paleo, and the primary advocates for each are good friends and have agreed to disagree about the differences. After a couple of months of eating strictly primal, my weight went from 195 to 172 and my energy level went through the roof. I've fallen off the "strictly" wagon, but still keep about a 90% primal diet. At 67, I am on no meds and often do fairly heavy outdoor work (like splitting wood or taking out tree stumps with a mattock) for 3-4 hours in high heat and humidity.

This has not translated into becoming an elite chess player, but there's still a tiny bit of hope of becoming a decent one. Meanwhile, may the bacon and eggs keep on coming.

I hope youre still doing well.  While you have me by a few years :-)  Like you I am not on any prescriptions.  I bike daily, exercise, stretch, drink more water than a camel.  And i have a job i look forward to going to. 

Thanks for the good wishes. Still doing as well at 71 as I was at 68. Still not a good chess player, but you can't have everything.

Glad to hear it.  I have been keto for a little over 5 years.  It has been a life changer.  I fell better than i ever have, and as an added bonus.  When i get asked how old i am and i tell them 59.  I get told I thought you were in your mid 40's.  I know thats only surface, but it still feels good to hear.  But i will take the internal health over the external any day.

Oh and as far as being a "good" chess player?  I gave up on that dream. 

Grievious

It does nothing to improve your performance.  Tal was a raving alcoholic, heavy smoker, and liked hard drugs.  Still played better than most GMs, and played crazy attacks so he could finish the game quickly and get to happy hour as soon as possible. 

Jalex13
I haven’t seen IMKeto since that year.
IMKeto
Grievious wrote:

It does nothing to improve your performance.  Tal was a raving alcoholic, heavy smoker, and liked hard drugs.  Still played better than most GMs, and played crazy attacks so he could finish the game quickly and get to happy hour as soon as possible. 

Do you have the facts to back up your statement?

EscherehcsE

I found this link on reddit. Wesley So shares his diet. Maybe some similarities to keto, although he does seem to have a pastry fetish...

The time link doesn't work here - start watching at 25 min, 36 sec.

IMKeto

Well he definitely watches what he eats and as he said he avoids sugar.  Which if you're going to do one thing, that would be the thing to avoid.  He avoids bread and rice so yea that keto.  But his fondness for pastries is not keto.  Sounds like he tries to watch what he eats.  BUt doesnt sound like he does the keto WOE.

OldPatzerMike
IMKeto wrote:

I have been keto for a little over 5 years.  It has been a life changer. 

That's really good to hear and it parallels my experience. I went from a bit chubby and sluggish to slender and energetic in just a few months. At 60 years old, I was only 4 pounds heavier than when I graduated from Marine officer training in my early 20s and was again in shape to pass the Marine physical fitness test. Best of all, it didn't involve ever being hungry.

Wishing you great luck going forward!

IMKeto
OldPatzerMike wrote:
IMKeto wrote:

I have been keto for a little over 5 years.  It has been a life changer. 

That's really good to hear and it parallels my experience. I went from a bit chubby and sluggish to slender and energetic in just a few months. At 60 years old, I was only 4 pounds heavier than when I graduated from Marine officer training in my early 20s and was again in shape to pass the Marine physical fitness test. Best of all, it didn't involve ever being hungry.

Wishing you great luck going forward!

Thanks Mike.  At my heaviest i was 325 lbs.  And even being 6-4 doesnt hide that amount of obesity :-)

When i started i understood what addicts go through with withdrawals.  For the first 7 days of not eating sugar i had the following:  Nightmares, sweats, cramps, shakes, couldn't sleep.  I woke up day 8 clear as can be.  I felt so much better and different.  At first i didnt even know how to handle how i felt. And then i realized.  This is what it feels like to be 'normal'. 

I lost 45lbs in a month.  I had friends asking me if i had cancer?  Pre keto, if my doctor had his way I would have been on 6 different prescriptions. Depression, anxiety, GERD, arthritis, blood pressure, and cholesterol.  I cured 5 of things with simply changing how and what i ate.  I am mucho better with anxiety.  But i still have my moments.  But nothing like it used to be where i would literally be paralyzed out in public and had no idea what to do.

I got down to 205 and currently sit around 228lbs.  While i am no swim suit model.  I bike, go to the gym, stretch and drink more water than most small countries. 

Grievious
IMKeto wrote:
Grievious wrote:

It does nothing to improve your performance.  Tal was a raving alcoholic, heavy smoker, and liked hard drugs.  Still played better than most GMs, and played crazy attacks so he could finish the game quickly and get to happy hour as soon as possible. 

Do you have the facts to back up your statement?

Grievious
IMKeto wrote:
Grievious wrote:

It does nothing to improve your performance.  Tal was a raving alcoholic, heavy smoker, and liked hard drugs.  Still played better than most GMs, and played crazy attacks so he could finish the game quickly and get to happy hour as soon as possible. 

Do you have the facts to back up your statement?

https://www.tellerreport.com/life/2020-03-20---morphine-addict--womanizer-and-genius--the-life-of-mikhail-tal-.SyWtrWjZ8I.html

Grievious

Don't get me wrong, Tal was my kind of guy.  

IMKeto
Grievious wrote:
IMKeto wrote:
Grievious wrote:

It does nothing to improve your performance.  Tal was a raving alcoholic, heavy smoker, and liked hard drugs.  Still played better than most GMs, and played crazy attacks so he could finish the game quickly and get to happy hour as soon as possible. 

Do you have the facts to back up your statement?

https://www.tellerreport.com/life/2020-03-20---morphine-addict--womanizer-and-genius--the-life-of-mikhail-tal-.SyWtrWjZ8I.html

I was talking about the first sentence.

If you want to smoke and drink yourself to whatever that accomplishes.  Its your life.