Forums

Are there any specific requirements for becoming a NM?

Sort:
XxNoWorriesxX
AnthonyCG wrote:
kco wrote:
AnthonyCG wrote:

There is also a caffeine consumption requirement.

really ? how much ?

1 cup of java a day.

You can smell his rating going up.

I think that picture verges on doping. Manditory testing should now be required.

waffllemaster

Well, I learned something about the NM title today apparently :)

Conflagration_Planet
goldendog wrote:

You tell 'em woodie.

I did!

mnag

It seems some of the information given in prior posts is a little out of date. USCF now has norms for CM, Life NM, and Life Senior NM and other "titles". See: http://main.uschess.org/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,181/

Ubik42
mnag wrote:

It seems some of the information given in prior posts is a little out of date. USCF now has norms for CM, Life NM, and Life Senior NM and other "titles". See: http://main.uschess.org/component/option,com_wrapper/Itemid,181/

Wow I just got Rick Rolled.

AndyClifton

As long as they don't bring back Candidate Experts again...

TheOldReb

I earned the USCF NM title in August of 1984 , it is a life title and all that was required then was to break the 2200 ( uscf ) barrier. It is a life title and unlike fide titles I didnt have to pay anything to receive what I had already earned. Most fide rated players also dont pay for their titles because their federations usually pay the fee for them. If their federation wont pay then they will have to pay themselves, if they want the title. 

AndyClifton

I got mine in February of 1984...and it was not a life title (at least, not for me), and I subsequently fell out of the rating class and no longer have it.  Unless of course they've changed all this around in the years since (which, knowing the USCF, is not entirely out of the question)...

TheOldReb
AndyClifton wrote:

I got mine in February of 1984...and it was not a life title (at least, not for me), and I subsequently fell out of the rating class and no longer have it.  Unless of course they've changed all this around in the years since (which, knowing the USCF, is not entirely out of the question)...

Hmmmmm  ... the only Andrew Clifton I find on uschess.org is unrated and certainly not an NM 

Conflagration_Planet
AndyClifton wrote:

Then why did you have it before you were reincarnated? 

AndyClifton

On this site they do seem to consider it like it's a lifetime title.  I don't think USCF does though (or at least, they never did before).

Conflagration_Planet

They said in that Wiki article that it was.

AndyClifton

I thought that was Life Master (not National Master).

Conflagration_Planet

Read the last paragraph of the article I posted.

AndyClifton

Oh yeah!  Hey, finally I like one of USCF's frequent changes! Smile

electricpawn

I don't know all of the requirements, but I'm pretty sure you need one of those slick wooden clocks that sit at a tilt and are made from really nice wood. Analog, of course. It will help if the candidate has a long beard he can stroke will considering his moves, but this is not a requirement.

Candidates must be considered "geeks." Som characteristcs of the "geek" are lack of amorous activity and poor fashion sense. Frequent statements like "what an awful move," and "no one plays that opening anymore," will help the candidate inch closer to his goal.

Elubas

lol, maybe the requirements change every year Smile I guess I'll just have to find out for myself if I can ever make it near the 2200 level Smile

mnag

Well I finally got around to reading woodpusher's reference (wiki article). I guess I should change my title to NM. Does that mean I get any freebies?

electricpawn

An NM coffee cup, and chess groupies!

chessmaster102

about a year or 2 ago I thought NM meant to get it you had to be a top player nationally and CM I thought was (City Master) meant one of the top players in city and now that I know what it really takes to reach on of those I think to myself (booooring my made up qualifiers seem much more intresting)Laughing