Forums

Asking people to resign

Sort:
xPranjal

winning a completely won position isnt fun...     because the massa didn't resign

drawing a completely won position is terrible...  because the massa didn't resign

losing a completely won position horrifying.....   block the massa !!!

winerkleiner
chrisr2212 wrote:
winerkleiner wrote:

chrisr2212 it that someone who messed up?

that's Filipe Massa just after his F1 shunt

Totally over my head, sorry!

Your username suggests you're 200 years ahead of us!  Who won the 2013 superbowl?

ash369

The best way to learn chess is to play the game as much as poss, which means newcomers have to accept they will be beaten a lot while learning.  So hinting that losing players should resign denies them of benefitting from your experience and play.  Such hints or requests are extremely unsportsmanship- like.  By the way if your opponent is so easy to beat and wants to play the game to the bitter end, doesn't if give you an opportunity to focus on the most economical way to checkmate??  So enjoy the opportunity it provides.

ChazR

Perhaps the best way to learn chess is not to play, just study.  Honestly, playing can create bad habits unless you have a method of self improvement.  What was Silman's excellent book?  "How to Reassess Your Chess?" or something like that.  In other words, you could be beating your head against a wall if you do not discover how to think like a master.

ChazR

Here is how I get people to resign, (like in my last blitz game with Galileo14):  When the mating net is closing in, I chat, "Thank you for the game."   Works every time,  the loser disconnects, I have a few minutes to get another drink, and Chess.com proclaims, "The player may have violated our fair play policy," and I win.  I was never so mean to abuse an opponent, but Bobby always had to "crush" his opponents.  I don't want to bruise anybody's ego, but when they disconnect, I OWN them.  

benonidoni

Is hermitboy still waiting for a reply after 4 years?Foot in mouth

PatriotScout

Etiquette is difficult to enforce online. It is best to understand that you have no control over your opponent's attitude and what he says as a result. You are going to encoutner rude and often malicious players on this site, what you do in spite of them is entirely up to you. 

Personally, if someone asks me to resign online I just keep playing. I don't respond since that would validate their statement. I don't let it get to me and neither should you.

winerkleiner
PatriotScout wrote:

Etiquette is difficult to enforce online. It is best to understand that you have no control over your opponent's attitude and what he says as a result. You are going to encoutner rude and often malicious players on this site, what you do in spite of them is entirely up to you. 

Personally, if someone asks me to resign online I just keep playing. I don't respond since that would validate their statement. I don't let it get to me and neither should you.

Well spoken advise!

cferrel

FYI I just got done in a major open and one of my games I had to fight a hard end game and the opponent had the win due to material but He had a extremely hard time getting the win with the end game play. However, I actually pulled off a stalemate when he tried to queen via a rook trade but all his pawns i was fighting were all around my king and near his king. I squeezed out the draw. I say play on and shoot for the draw if you are losing. Unless mate is totally obvous and forced but who cares if they dont resign just mate them.

Conquistador
RooklessRookie wrote:

I disagree, to refuse to resign an obviously lost position is indicating either the premise that the opponent does not have sufficiant skills to continue winning in an obviously lost position or that you wish to purposefully waste time for both you and your opponent.

You are obviously demonstrating arrogance.

Radical_Drift

Teehee, the last time someone asked me to resign, I pulled out a win :P

ash369
chessman1504 wrote:

Teehee, the last time someone asked me to resign, I pulled out a win :P

Yep.  An obviously lost position  to one player is simply a challenge to another.  Who can judge?  Only the players concerned.

Mathieu9229

I never ask someone to resign. But I am playing a daily game right now... I traded a rook for a queen (material +4) 20 move ago... His rooks where connected... Position still Closed. So I was fine with that. But now... material is +9... with almost no material left, pawns  going to promotion (if I can't checkmate earlier). And I start wondering why my opponent doesn't resign. In daily chess it is just boring to play such a position.