14022 Players currently online!
Man vs. Machine - good luck!
Turn-based games at any time!
Vote for the best move to win!
Do you have what it takes?
Backgammon, Yatzy, and more!
Sharpen your tactical vision!
Get advice and game insights!
Learn from top players & pros!
View millions of master games!
Your virtual chess coach!
Perfect your opening moves!
Test your skills vs. computer!
Find the right private coach!
Can you solve it each day?
Bring it all together!
Beginners, start here!
Make friends & play team games!
News from the world of chess!
Search all Chess.com members!
Find local clubs & events!
Who's the best of your friends?
Read what members are saying!
1. What are the top 5 must read chess books for club players
2. What are the top 5 must subscribe chess magazines
3. What are the top 5 other material (such as videos)
One answer for all of your questions...fresh air healthy food and exercise...Glad to have made a difference : )
The top 5 books would of course be the one's that you study seriously from start to finish
1. alekhines book of games, logical chess move by move - chernev, endgame strategy by shershevsky, chess strategy for club players - gooten , amateur mind - silman
2. New In Chess simply the best, period, CHESS (if you like british humor), chess today (daily chess stuff), .... local chess publications for local news
3. Friends to play, Rivals to beat, chess.com (or any other chess site), chessbase or chessassitant, TWIC (The week in chess),
Thanks @TonyH. Others, nice try. Would have been invaluble in a comedy club forum. http://www.hipforums.com/newforums/forumdisplay.php?f=325
I was actually being serious. I see many players asking about this or that recommended book. They buy them and end up reading only the first couple of pages before moving on to the next "best and recommended" one.
Top 5 chess mags? I don't even have time to read one. NIC and Chess Informants are both great and I think one or the other is really overkill for someone who isn't a master unless they have lots of time on their hands, not to mention some spare change: these "mags" aint cheap! So unless you have lots of time and cash available I'd skip the mags and concentrate on reading chess books for now.
After looking at your profile I'd suggest
Common Sense in Chess by Dr Lasker
1000 Checkmates and 1000 Winning Combos, both by Fred Reinfeld
Logical Chess Move by Move and The Most Instructive Games of Chess Ever Played both by Irving Chernev
Top 5 other material? Click on Learn and check out the Study Plans, Chess Mentor, Tactic Trainer etc.
Before you buy any chess books look around for decent used copies at amazon eBay & used bookstores. If your local library has any chess books check some out and see how you like (or dislike) them before buying your own copy.
1. Most instructive games of chess ever played by Irving Chernev
Silman's endgame book
Test your tactical ability by Neihstadt
The ideas behind the chess openings by Fine
The mammoth book of chess by Burgess and Nunn
2. No idea
3. Rensch's live sessions and rook ending videos are really good
THE ONE I PREFER =IS A BOOK WRITEN BT BY WOLFF ONE TIM USA GRAND MASTER CHAMPION ==ALL BOOK STORES==ABOUT 30.00 DOLARS
Good responses! I will let you know my book reviews after reading.
Theunsjb's remark is spot on. I recommend the following 5 books for intermediate-advanced players. Study these books properly & you will be surprised how your rating improves.
1.General chess : Chess Fundamental's (Capablanca) . Many player's underestimate the value of this book. If they seriously follow Capa's advice it will become clear that Capa knew what he was talking about. Fischer said this was the best chess book ever written.
2. Tactics : Chess Gems (Sukhin),1001 sacrifices & combinations(Reinfeld) , Polgar's 5334 , Nunn's chess book puzzles, Imagination in chess (Gaprindashvili) in that order according to your rating.
3. Strategy : Modern chess strategy (Pachman), Reasses your chess (Silman), Dvoretsky or Yusupow books. In order according to rating.
4. Endgame: Essential chess endings (Howell),Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual, in that order.
5. Calculation accuracy training : Master the grand art of Chess Calculation (Friend). Suitable from beginner to advanced. Step by step training from one move[two 1/2 moves] up to 10 moves[twenty 1/2 moves] ahead.
the best material is definetly
Convekta Chess tactic art
Convekta encyclopedia of combinations.
Convekta Chess endgam trainin
Convekta theory and praxis of endgames
Convekta encyclopedia of middlegame.
303 tricky chess tactics
test your positional play albert bellin & pietro ponzetto
pawn structure chess andrew soltis
my system aron nimzowitsch
carsten hansen - improve your positional chess
chess blueprints planning in the middle game - yakovlev
reassess your chess 4th edition Silman
Isolated pawn Mikhalchishin & ya strokowski -v. braslasky
complete book of chess strategy Silman
lev alburt & sam palatnik - chess strategy for the tournament player
Improve Your Chess Tactics- Yakov Neishtadt
Marovic - Dynamic pawn play in chess
Samuel Reshevsky - The Art of Positional Play
practical chess exercises ray cheng
susan polgar - chess tactics for champions
secrets of the russian chess masters-vol 1
secrets of the russian chess masters-vol 2
Secrets of Positional Chess (2006) - Drazen Marovic
chess - attacking manual 2 by jacob aagaard
Silmans complete endgame course
Magnus Bilbao Memes, EPIC!
by McUmber 5 minutes ago
7/24/2016 - Attack And Defense
by Samad1 7 minutes ago
Where to go from here?
by ArtNJ 8 minutes ago
2826-4000 Worst Things To Do While Playing Chess
by McUmber 8 minutes ago
Am I a fool for not playing 1. e4
by McUmber 14 minutes ago
London system scrubs
by DamonevicSmithlov 18 minutes ago
Anyone selling really cheap chess set.
by Eyechess 21 minutes ago
Top-notch IDIOT offers FREE lessons!!!
by McUmber 26 minutes ago
Please chess.com, change V3
by Martin_Stahl 26 minutes ago
Today's Analysis Set
by Eyechess 26 minutes ago
Why Join | Chess Topics |
Help & Support |
© 2016 Chess.com
• Chess - English
We are working hard to make Chess.com available in over 70 languages. Check back over the year as we develop the technology to add more, and we will try our best to notify you when your language is ready for translating!