Forums

Best chess books and material

Sort:
mohan9048

1. What are the top 5 must read chess books for club players

2. What are the top 5 must subscribe chess magazines

3. What are the top 5 other material (such as videos)

George1st

One answer for all of your questions...fresh air healthy food and exercise...Glad to have made a difference : )

theunsjb

The top 5 books would of course be the one's that you study seriously from start to finish Wink

TonyH
mohan9048 wrote:

1. What are the top 5 must read chess books for club players

2. What are the top 5 must subscribe chess magazines

3. What are the top 5 other material (such as videos)

1. alekhines book of games,  logical chess move by move - chernev, endgame strategy by shershevsky, chess strategy for club players - gooten , amateur mind - silman

2. New In Chess simply the best, period, CHESS (if you like british humor), chess today (daily chess stuff), .... local chess publications for local news

3. Friends to play, Rivals to beat, chess.com (or any other chess site), chessbase or chessassitant, TWIC (The week in chess), 

mohan9048

Thanks @TonyH. Others, nice try. Would have been invaluble in a comedy club forum. http://www.hipforums.com/newforums/forumdisplay.php?f=325

theunsjb
mohan9048 wrote:

Thanks @TonyH. Others, nice try. Would have been invaluble in a comedy club forum. http://www.hipforums.com/newforums/forumdisplay.php?f=325

I was actually being serious.  I see many players asking about this or that recommended book.  They buy them and end up reading only the first couple of pages before moving on to the next "best and recommended" one.

NimzoRoy

Top 5 chess mags? I don't even have time to read one. NIC and Chess Informants are both great and I think one or the other is really overkill for someone who isn't a master unless they have lots of time on their hands, not to mention some spare change: these "mags" aint cheap! So unless you have lots of time and cash available I'd skip the mags and concentrate on reading chess books for now.

After looking at your profile I'd suggest

Common Sense in Chess by Dr Lasker

1000 Checkmates and 1000 Winning Combos, both by Fred Reinfeld

Logical Chess Move by Move and The Most Instructive Games of Chess Ever Played both by Irving Chernev

Top 5 other material? Click on Learn and check out the Study Plans, Chess Mentor, Tactic Trainer etc.

Before you buy any chess books look around for decent used copies at amazon eBay & used bookstores.  If your local library has any chess books check some out and see how you like (or dislike) them before buying your own copy.

GOOD LUCK!

Daeru

1. Most instructive games of chess ever played by Irving Chernev

Silman's endgame book

Test your tactical ability by Neihstadt

The ideas behind the chess openings by Fine

The mammoth book of chess by Burgess and Nunn

2. No idea

3. Rensch's live sessions and rook ending videos are really good 

PLAVIN81

THE ONE I PREFER =IS A BOOK WRITEN BT BY WOLFF ONE TIM USA GRAND  MASTER CHAMPION ==ALL BOOK STORES==ABOUT 30.00 DOLARSSmile

mohan9048

Good responses! I will let you know my book reviews after reading.

Anandmagic

Theunsjb's remark is spot on. I recommend the following 5 books for intermediate-advanced players. Study these books properly & you will be surprised how your rating improves.

1.General chess :  Chess Fundamental's (Capablanca) . Many player's underestimate the value of this book. If they seriously follow Capa's advice it will become clear that Capa knew what he was talking about. Fischer said this was the best chess book ever written.

2. Tactics : Chess Gems (Sukhin),1001 sacrifices & combinations(Reinfeld) , Polgar's 5334 , Nunn's chess book puzzles,  Imagination in chess (Gaprindashvili) in that order according to your rating.

3. Strategy : Modern chess strategy (Pachman), Reasses your chess (Silman), Dvoretsky or Yusupow books. In order according to rating.

4. Endgame: Essential chess endings (Howell),Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual, in that order.

5. Calculation accuracy training : Master the grand art of Chess Calculation (Friend). Suitable from beginner to advanced. Step by step training from one move[two 1/2 moves] up to 10 moves[twenty 1/2 moves] ahead.

TetsuoShima

the best material is definetly 

Convekta Chess tactic art

Convekta encyclopedia of combinations.

Convekta Chess endgam trainin

Convekta theory and praxis of endgames

Convekta encyclopedia of middlegame.

mohan9048

303 tricky chess tactics

test your positional play albert bellin & pietro ponzetto

pawn structure chess  andrew soltis

my system aron nimzowitsch

carsten hansen - improve your positional chess

chess blueprints planning in the middle game - yakovlev

reassess your chess 4th edition Silman

Isolated pawn Mikhalchishin & ya strokowski -v. braslasky

complete book of chess strategy Silman

lev alburt & sam palatnik - chess strategy for the tournament player

Lein+Archangelsky_-_Sharpen_Your_Tactics!_(1996)

Improve Your Chess Tactics- Yakov Neishtadt

lev alburt & sam palatnik - chess strategy for the tournament player

Marovic - Dynamic pawn play in chess

Moskalenko-Viktor---Revolutionize-Your-Chess--2009

Samuel Reshevsky - The Art of Positional Play

The_English_Opening_2C_Volume_Two

The_Genesis_of_Power_Chess

practical chess exercises ray cheng 

Mastering_Positional_Chess Naroditsky

susan polgar - chess tactics for champions

secrets of the russian chess masters-vol 1

secrets of the russian chess masters-vol 2