Forums

Best Music to listen to while playing chess?

Sort:
bobbyDK

I have a wide range of music.

I have access to a music service called WIMP there I listen to a lot of music.

I listen to all kind of genres.

cascada, Metallica, Eminem, Medina, DJ Encore(walk on water), Ladytron (ghosts)

any suggestion would be great cause I have access to nearly all music on WIMP.

unfortunately I am not alloud to have music with me when I am playing OTB tournament.

vinco_interdum

None--I like it quiet.

Flamma_Aquila

The only time I do it is OTB tourney. I find classical best, nice background, blocks noise, but not distracting.

checkmmm8
Eric_T wrote:

The BEST music while playing chess?  None.

Do you think that you will play better if you focus 100% on your chess game, or if you focus mostly on your chess game, and a little bit on the music you are listening to?  Music competes for your attention while you are playing chess, so it cannot help your game.  But if you enjoy playing chess more while listening to music, then by all means do so, since it is all about enjoyment for most of us.

The parts of your brain used for chess and listening to musics are different! Music could actually improve your chess playing ability

1pawndown

Instrumental ... jazz or classical

RathHood
Eric_T wrote:

Do you think that you will play better if you focus 100% on your chess game, or if you focus mostly on your chess game, and a little bit on the music you are listening to?  Music competes for your attention while you are playing chess, so it cannot help your game.  But if you enjoy playing chess more while listening to music, then by all means do so, since it is all about enjoyment for most of us.

Actually music helps me to focus, dunno why (don't know which parts of brain are responsible for ...whatever) - it's just works that way.

SimonSeirup

I never listen to music while playing, i want to focus 100% on the game.

wonk20

I always listen to music while i am playing online, it helps me concentrate on the game, not whats going on around me, which has recently been the NCAA basketball tournament on tv, which i keep turning around to see if the teams i chose for my brackets are winning.    I normally listen to 60's music from artists such as David Bowie, Three Dog Night, Bachman Turner Overdrive, Moody Blues, Boston, Queen and Chicago

SacrificeAndWin

Adam's song - Blink 182

tals8760
tolga7t wrote:

Snoop Doggy Dogg

+1

PDUP

Wow many good ideas here - Classical, Jazz (Miles), Smiths (a bit too emotional though) are all great for chess.  But Steely Dan works best for me.  Very inspiring!

Chess_Lover11

Any music muted.

Reepacheep
Eric_T wrote:

Yeah, especially for me because when I listen to music I end up focusing on the words of the singer. I enjoy silence when I am trying to concentrate. But do whatever works for you Smile

Bike51man

Bombay Bicycle Club for me.

dancd

TDG - The Choice Is Yours

twotherspoon
PDUP wrote:

Wow many good ideas here - Classical, Jazz (Miles), Smiths (a bit too emotional though) are all great for chess.  But Steely Dan works best for me.  Very inspiring!

Steely Dan. That's an entire universe in those mixes to think about... But I'm going to try applying Aja to chess right now.

RaleighRaine

Quiet, classical music or nature sounds (rain, forest, etc).

No music at all works, too. Wink

eneteiment

danmsd

e2 e4 by Manuel Gottsching
Brain music 

aggressivesociopath

Siegfried's Funeral March or Tristan Und Isolde: Act III Prelude by Wagner

Oddly enough I am going to say old and 80ties Leonard Cohen. Chess involves harmonious destruction.