Forums

Boring World Championship

Sort:
Pre_VizsIa
Ziryab wrote:

Reti! Carlsen will find a way to get equality with this stratgically complex opening, and he will win a game with it before Thanksgiving.

Shhh! Don't tell Anand!

nameno1had
SmyslovFan wrote:
nameno1had wrote:

Anand knows if every game is drawn after the classical time controlled games, he gets a larger share of the money, than he would had he lost prior to that. I think that is as much to blame as anything. However, I don't think forcing the reigning champ to play to win, in order to be champ again, would sit well with most, but it would certainly change the way the games were played some what.

Chess will never be a spectator sport because it is just too complex. Even the drama of an armaggedon game won't be enough to TV draw crowds to watch the game live. Those games go too fast for intelligent commentary. Chess isn't camera friendly. 

Yeah, certainly a lot of truth in that idea...except for true chess lovers...Wink

shooblie

KOLRAMI: Bah! (throws off the controls) 

DATA: Why have you suspended the game? 

KOLRAMI: Because this is not a rematch. You have made a mockery of me. 

(Kolrami exits in high dudgeon) 

RIKER: Data, you beat him! 

DATA: No, sir. It is a stalemate. 

WORF: No game of Strategema has ever gone this high. 

LAFORGE: What did you do? 

DATA: I simply altered my premise for playing the game. 

RIKER: Explain. 

DATA: Working under the assumption that Kolrami was attempting to win, it is reasonable to assume that he expected me to play for the same goal. 

WESLEY: You didn't. 

DATA: No. I was playing only for a standoff, a draw. While Kolrami was dedicated to winning, I was able to pass up obvious avenues of advancement and settle for a balance. Theoretically, I should be able to challenge him indefinitely. 

PULASKI: Then you have beaten him. 

DATA: It is a matter of perspective, Doctor. In the strictest sense, I did not win. 

kco

Not so boring now huh guys, seeing that Carlsen has won a game.

Shivsky
shooblie wrote:

KOLRAMI: Bah! (throws off the controls) 

DATA: Why have you suspended the game? 

KOLRAMI: Because this is not a rematch. You have made a mockery of me. 

(Kolrami exits in high dudgeon) 

RIKER: Data, you beat him! 

DATA: No, sir. It is a stalemate. 

WORF: No game of Strategema has ever gone this high. 

LAFORGE: What did you do? 

DATA: I simply altered my premise for playing the game. 

RIKER: Explain. 

DATA: Working under the assumption that Kolrami was attempting to win, it is reasonable to assume that he expected me to play for the same goal. 

WESLEY: You didn't. 

DATA: No. I was playing only for a standoff, a draw. While Kolrami was dedicated to winning, I was able to pass up obvious avenues of advancement and settle for a balance. Theoretically, I should be able to challenge him indefinitely. 

PULASKI: Then you have beaten him. 

DATA: It is a matter of perspective, Doctor. In the strictest sense, I did not win. 

Loved that episode .. though this is flawed as Data is proven to not be able to "solve" the game (he loses .. which is proof enough!) but can somehow accurately "guarantee" 100% drawing play.

If Strategema is a turn based game like chess that has yet to be solved, then just like a GM cannot "100%" force a draw against a skilled opponent if he wants it, neither could Data. Maybe make it likely, but not be guaranteed one!