Forums

Can Carlsen compete with Anand

Sort:
superking500

in posistional chess and tactical chess?

can carlsen compete with anand?

ForeverHoldYourPiece

I'd say carlsen has an edge between the two, but not saying he has a sure win. 

Carlsen's young career could still be an edge for Anand. 

TheGreatOogieBoogie

Anand has phenominal skill and is certainly one of the top 20 best players of all time, but Carlsen is practically world champion due to his top ELO.  ELO represents playing strength, the higher the number the better you are theoretically.  Likewise, world champion is supposed to be the best in the world.  Therefore Carlsen is the true champion, since his ELO is the highest. 

gimmewuchagot

In most peoples' opinions, the question is, "Can Anand compete with Carlsen?".

r_k_ting
TheGreatOogieBoogie wrote:

Anand has phenominal skill and is certainly one of the top 20 best players of all time, but Carlsen is practically world champion due to his top ELO.  ELO represents playing strength, the higher the number the better you are theoretically.  Likewise, world champion is supposed to be the best in the world.  Therefore Carlsen is the true champion, since his ELO is the highest. 

Rating isn't everything. Don't forget that just ~10 years ago, Kramnik defeated the much higher rated Kasparov with excellent match strategy. His position against Kasparov was considered far more hopeless than Anand's versus Carlsen.

Anand has shown that his match preparation is very solid, especially in his match against Kramnik.

gimmewuchagot

Anand needs to score 3/4 in the remaining games to retain his title.

ViktorHNielsen
gimmewuchagot wrote:

2/4 to go for the playoff.

MrBlunderful_closed

I'm not sure I buy into the Carlsen has charisma angle.  Hell of a chess player, but I find him awfully boring and stiff.  Maybe he's scintillating in Norwegian.

thelonerangers
Nahid_Karimi_2013 wrote:

i want / like Carlsen win because he is Young and very Active and Charismatic, he could be a good ambassador for chess in the world.

Anand is very quiet and introverted and does not create excitement among the people.

remember Fischer-Spassky age and then Karpov-Kasparov age

we need new blood in chess.

tnx

he is not charismatic at all, what are you talking about?

gimmewuchagot
ViktorHNielsen wrote:
gimmewuchagot wrote:

2/4 to go for the playoff.

Sorry, I meant 3/4 for the playoff.