Forums

Can I have a passion for chess by playing on the Internet only?

Sort:
WoodyNYC86ST

I love playing on line.I am a casual player and enjoy the competition and tournaments.

edze

definitely! there's no chess club nearby on my place and Online Chess helps me Cool

alec42

It's not the same most chess players online (speaking about chess online in general not this specific site) are centaurs using sophisticated engines they don't play the same way people do at all, there's constant pushing and shoving with serial aborters and jerks who sulk for 35 minutes straight because they left their Queen enprise.

If you can put up with all the aggrivation and abuse involved to get your chess fix knock yourself out.

TheBigDecline

Looking at it, OP is still unrated. How else can we possibly convince him to finally give it a try?

ToweringAir

Hi TheBigDecline,

I do not play on this website but elsewhither. I hope this does not cause an issue. I come on chess.com because there is a very nice forum and chess articles and the people are great.

TheBigDecline

Oh, I see. Can't really imagine that leading to any kind of trouble, so have fun! Smile

ToweringAir

By the way, I bought a chess computer which allows me have a feel of the board but of course it's playing against a machine and not a real opponent..

MrDamonSmith

Play in real live otb rated tournaments. You'll enjoy it so much more. Believe it. There's no comparison, you'll see what I'm talking about after you go play a multi day tournament. Sometimes you've just gotta say: what the fugg and just jump in........

ToweringAir

Thanks Mr DamonSmith for you advices but I have some self-esteem problem and I am way to shy to play in tournament OTB. I have hope that this can be overcome someday but for now it's not to be considered...I have anxiety desorder which is not very helpful.

bobbyDK

even more. cause you play when you WANT to.

otb chess you are forced to play days you don't feel like it. if you are in a tournament and you are playing every tuesdays 7 rounds 4 hours. you have to play every tuesday no matter how your day was. 

I tried one week to be in 4 tournaments monday, tuesday, thursday, friday. it was just too much for me.

chessarx

You're not alone for sure. Most of the games I play are online because my friends don't really play so most of the games I play are here. I have gotten so accustomed to play live and online chess with its on a 2-D board such that the last game a played on a "real" board, felt so strange. Wonder if that's happened to anyone else.

upen2002

I play tournaments and online. I guess it is better to do both

BhomasTrown

We are all on our own paths: The Way.

Sometimes our paths intersect, run parallel, go off on a tangent, etc.

It's your life. We are the decisions we make. 

bobbyDK
chessarx skrev:

You're not alone for sure. Most of the games I play are online because my friends don't really play so most of the games I play are here. I have gotten so accustomed to play live and online chess with its on a 2-D board such that the last game a played on a "real" board, felt so strange. Wonder if that's happened to anyone else.

it is easy seeing the whole board in 2d view, seeing the whole board on a large otb chessboard requires countless hours of training. it is easy to overlook something thus more blunders to start with due to lack of overview. seeing tactics in 2D is more easy than otb.

Bardu

I think it is best if your passion for chess, and also life, is lived as much in the real world as possible. The internet is a great tool, but it is not a substitute for reality. 

TheBigDecline
Bardu wrote:

The internet is a great tool, but it is not a substitute for reality. 

The Internet is part of reality. It was never meant to be a substitute for anything.