Forums

can magnus carlson cross the 3000 elo barrier

Sort:
Elroch
Destroyer_Mark_1420 wrote:
He will not even break 2900, in why opinion. He is not going to get MUCH better now that he is in his twenties.

"even"

happy.png

Elroch
SmyslovFan wrote:

Carlsen's best FIDE live blitz rating was 2948. 

If we stick to classical chess, I don't see anyone breaking 2900 any time soon, but at faster time controls, it's more possible to utterly dominate the opposition and play enough games in a relatively short period to get incredible ratings. 

http://www.2700chess.com

The fundamental reason the blitz rating distribution is wider is that results tend to be more unbalanced at blitz. The easy way to see this is to compare big tournament cross tables. Eg world blitz and rapid championships 2016: the top blitz score is 78.6%, the top rapid score is significantly lower at 73%, and a tournament at normal time controls between the top players in the world would expect to see a lot more draws and a lower top score percentage (mid to high 60s per cent, perhaps?)

LM_player
And here we are right now. :D
mcmodern

Very unlikely now, he seems to have reached his max rating of between 2850-2900 and have not improved much. So he could potentially hit 2900 on a good streak but I do not see him reaching 3000.

Elroch

A player who could achieve 75% results against 2800s (which is roughly what is needed to reach 3000 Elo) is not human. Literally.

DiogenesDue
StupidGM wrote:
Elroch wrote:

A player who could achieve 75% results against 2800s (which is roughly what is needed to reach 3000 Elo) is not human. Literally.

And DNA never evolves...

DNA takes thousands of years to evolve, not decades.

gamingduky

yeah

epicdraw

I don't know. Can he get a girlfriend